Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You haven't driven ludicrous have you?

But I haven't had a car with back seat massagers. I guess we both don't know what we are missing.

I did drive insane mode - for a total of 4-5 times; I did not think I needed anything more than what the P85D offered in plain sport mode (which is ballpark similar to what the 100D offers now). When my P85D was totaled I did get a Merc E class. The first thing I start when I drive is the massage. Unlike the BMW version, this actually works. And I love the ambient lighting.

I have a deposit for Porsche Mission E. When it becomes available I will compare it with the model S of that time. I will give Tesla preference if their interior is updated.

I can't imagine how a person makes such a decision.

It was actually quite easy. I get bored by cars, and getting a model S in which the only difference is new headlights and nose was not appealing to me. I am not an EV purist, so going back to ICE was not a problem. My model 3 was delayed for couple months, so I could not use that option either - it ended up replacing my wife's car.

There is no perfect car, and each of the ones we recently owned (model S, model 3, Merc, Infiniti) had advantages and disadvantages. Overall, I find the Merc to be more quiet, comfortable and luxurious, model S nicer for autopilot and some cool tricks (geofencing Homelink, better media interface), and model 3 nicer front exterior looks.

If the refreshed model S will have an interior at the Merc level, I will definitely consider it in the future. It will probably come well into my Merc lease, just about when I start thinking about a new car. Same for Mission E.

Reactions: gowthamn
EV is to ICE as word processor is to typewriter

Going back to transmissions shifts and throttle lag and pumping gas is barbaric.

It was actually quite easy. I get bored by cars, and getting a model S in which the only difference is new headlights and nose was not appealing to me. I am not an EV purist, so going back to ICE was not a problem. My model 3 was delayed for couple months, so I could not use that option either - it ended up replacing my wife's car.

There is no perfect car, and each of the ones we recently owned (model S, model 3, Merc, Infiniti) had advantages and disadvantages. Overall, I find the Merc to be more quiet, comfortable and luxurious, model S nicer for autopilot and some cool tricks (geofencing Homelink, better media interface), and model 3 nicer front exterior looks.

If the refreshed model S will have an interior at the Merc level, I will definitely consider it in the future. It will probably come well into my Merc lease, just about when I start thinking about a new car. Same for Mission E.

Hi,

Being a fan of both Tesla and Porsche, I cannot be anything else but happy regarding the developments of the Mission E and the Tesla brand. Competition is what drives the car industry forward. If ICE companies are investing huge amounts of money it only shows that Tesla is and has always been on the right path. Now that other players are entering the market, Tesla has an upper hand by being the first serious player on the market. Yet I have to admit that Tesla has quite a long way to go to catch up to old car manufacturers in terms of interior build quality and this is probably what they will focus on while ICE will focus their efforts on the battery technology.

We as (potential) customers can and will be the winners thanks to better products in general.

Reactions: svp6
i dont think so really. Sure they learned from tesla but an ev is not rocket science. If i was a serious company i would buy a model s and take it apart and then design my version learning from the model s and adding my companies flavor.

EV automated factories will be rocket science. And we all know the only automotive company with a legit Rocket Scientist as CEO:)

EVs as an afterthought, this one will end up as a grocery getter and weekend driver if they do not get a partnership with Tesla for supercharging.

Why would you say that? I had the Model 3 for 1 month, drove it every day. Supercharger use = 1 (just to test how fast it charges the 3). In previous 3 years I did 3 road trips with the model S - none of them was really necessary, drove just for fun. Porsche dealership on the way (where I suppose they will have the fast charging options installed by the time they sell Mission E) was just 10 miles from the supercharger I used for Tesla.

The supercharger network is awesome for people who travel long distance frequently, but not all of us do. Anything that has a real world winter range of 200 miles will do for me. Waiting to see the moderately optioned price for Mission E though - I am more concerned about that part than about range and charging.

Reactions: gowthamn
EVs as an afterthought, this one will end up as a grocery getter and weekend driver if they do not get a partnership with Tesla for supercharging.
so what? Thats how we use the model s now. No trips beyond 300 miles in a year. I think the mission e will give tesla a kick in the butt to upgrade interior and comfort inside the car.I mean for the price the model s is it should have had already- lighted vanity mirrors/hooks/grab handles/adjustable seatbelt height..faster display and way better browser/nav maps. The diff is that tesla is a as you go company with changing stuff every month or so and once again people are whining that the new car they picked up doesnt have lighted vanity mirrors or a faster mcu and how it will effect resale value ect. Thew buyer is the one that gets shafted in this model if he doesnt buy at exactly the right time. I get it and its cool on one level(if you are yet to buy) but to a just bought buyer it kind of sucks. Talk of retro fitting is going on now but a whole new mcu? who pays? Lighted vanity mirrors??? who pays if they are retrofitted and it wont be cheap for the buyer i am sure.

I think more people care about the interior/screen/little things on this car then the exterior refreshes. I mean for 70-130k its just not up to par.
Its the only "luxury" ev so its had a top dog place for a while but its great to see jaguar and porsche step up the game.the mission e looks amazing and sleek and the inside looks stunning and 2020 to me. Even the model 3 looks 2020 inside to me. The s looks 2000. I mean take the screen away and look at the mS inside....pretty boring and basic for 70-130k car. Sure a bunch of guys like the minimalist look and feel and dont think twice about dropping $$ on the s but many of us arent rich and 70-100+k is alot for a car so we value comfort and quality control over fan boi rah rah mentality.

Porsche is no dummy. They wont change up stuff in the mission e every few months and release it then. They will have learned from teslas shortcomings and build on the ev concept to take it beyond the model s- they have the $$ and the infrastructure and connections to make it happen in a serious way. There will likely be no need to change anything 2 months later because they are already thinking ahead and planned it out well. I get the whole tech advancing daily mentality but it stings to buy a 100k car and get it on monday new and the next guy picks his new one up on friday and it has all the newest upgrades. Thats lame. And i think once other luxury ev start to come out tesla will lag behind because of this.

Reactions: McRat and gowthamn
One major negative with Porsche that looks to be on the horizon is with their long range charging solution. They not only plan to charge for any supercharger use, they will charge you to fill up your car with a similar price you pay for a gasoline fill-up. They hope to make this a profit center (which as a business, they have a right to). Will be interesting to see user feedback to this approach.

Porsche will bill Mission E drivers to recharge from day one

Reactions: Amit519
Porsche Teases Mission E Prototype

porsche-mission-e-prototype-production.jpg

One major negative with Porsche that looks to be on the horizon is with their long range charging solution. They not only plan to charge for any supercharger use, they will charge you to fill up your car with a similar price you pay for a gasoline fill-up. They hope to make this a profit center (which as a business, they have a right to). Will be interesting to see user feedback to this approach.

Porsche will bill Mission E drivers to recharge from day one

Since very few of miles of a typical driver are more than 100 miles from home, it's probably not going to be significant financial issue for most buyers. Insurance and tires would be a bigger burden.

But philosophically from a "Green" point of view, why reward people for using more energy?
Free electricity encourages power use. Why should someone who drives 100,000 miles a year get a huge bonus that somebody who drives 1,000 miles a year does not?

Since very few of miles of a typical driver are more than 100 miles from home, it's probably not going to be significant financial issue for most buyers. Insurance and tires would be a bigger burden.

But philosophically from a "Green" point of view, why reward people for using more energy?
Free electricity encourages power use. Why should someone who drives 100,000 miles a year get a huge bonus that somebody who drives 1,000 miles a year does not?

I think Tesla "rewarding" customers with fee/discounted power is them saying thank you for paying the EV premium purchase price compared to a similarly equipped ICE vehicle. Most people try to make purchasing decisions that make financial sense (with being green a bonus). If an EV costs more to purchase and similar to fuel (for a long distance trip) than why would anyone go EV (unless saving the planet is your primary motivator)?

Yes, most people will "fuel" at home but not all people live in homes/apartments with readily available charging stations.

free supercharging is just hype to get people to buy..It worked for many who likely never even used it yet.They took it away and said buy now it wont comeback and then next quarter guess what- it came back. It was just a sham to push people to buy.

I would also worry porsche insurance is higher then model s. but for most no supercharger for porsche is not an issue if they have a garage with an outlet and a few porsche dealers around.