Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Porsche Taycan - Tesla Rival Seen Today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think most of these will be replacing gas-hog Panameras or 911s, creating a disproportionate beneficial reduction in fuel use in the fleet.

I think it’ll be a very cool car and very well assembled but will be in a very different segment than Tesla’s offerings. I think the Taycan will be additive to the overall EV fleet.

Reactions: SammichLover
Supposedly the interior of the Taycan is going to blow us away. So maybe that will be worth the extra money.

Perhaps. I wonder what they could possibly do beyond a standard high-end German interior that would wow us so?

This thing has been billed (mostly by media and shorts) from the very beginning as a Tesla-killer. It has its niche for sure, but don't see how it could possibly come close to being a "killer."

To be a Tesla-killer, a vehicle will need to compete on features/performance, AND be priced so ridiculously low (from the manufacturer's perspective) that they'd nearly go out of business making it. Otherwise the very best you can do is make a mildly compelling "alternative" for people who want a more luxurious interior or an ICE brand or are averse to Elon/Tesla. That's great for all of us, but the unfortunate reality for folks wishing for a "Tesla-killer" is they ain't gonna get one.

Reactions: EVMeister
Perhaps. I wonder what they could possibly do beyond a standard high-end German interior that would wow us so?

This thing has been billed (mostly by media and shorts) from the very beginning as a Tesla-killer. It has its niche for sure, but don't see how it could possibly come close to being a "killer."

To be a Tesla-killer, a vehicle will need to compete on features/performance, AND be priced so ridiculously low (from the manufacturer's perspective) that they'd nearly go out of business making it. Otherwise the very best you can do is make a mildly compelling "alternative" for people who want a more luxurious interior or an ICE brand or are averse to Elon/Tesla. That's great for all of us, but the unfortunate reality for folks wishing for a "Tesla-killer" is they ain't gonna get one.
Supposedly there will be multiple touchscreen displays and it will be very futuristic. They seem to have spent a lot of effort hiding what the displays will look like. They cover it during the test drives that they gave. So it's either going to be awesome or it's going to suck.

Reactions: SammichLover
Supposedly there will be multiple touchscreen displays and it will be very futuristic. They seem to have spent a lot of effort hiding what the displays will look like. They cover it during the test drives that they gave. So it's either going to be awesome or it's going to suck.

Could be cool. But devil's advocate, what could those screens possibly do that would be so amazing? Play video? Have haptic feedback? Only truly compelling screen-related thing I can think of (that Teslas can't do currently or with an OTA update) is to have live video feeds from cameras around the car, assisting with parking, lane changes, etc. And better smartphone integration via CarPlay/Android Auto.

The UI might be eye candy I guess? Which don't get me wrong, I can appreciate, but without a well-developed OTA backbone in place it's meaningless...

I know I don’t want multiple small touchscreens. Rather just have one large screen that I can read and positioned well.

This is a supposedly a leaked photo of the interior.

Porsche-Taycan-Interior-hero.jpg

Surprised this is not an everyday occurrence in the Bay Area. It is for me; the route to Sorrento Valley is a veritable cavalcade of Model 3s these days. It’s just one after another every single day. Three or four in a row is quite commonplace.

Oh see plenty of Tesla driving around even where I live but never all driving behind the other. That was my point. Heck up near Sunnyvale even with the Supercharger there you see lots of Teslas but on the road they are dispersed among other vehicles.

This idea that only existing Porsche owners care is idiotic. I love my Model 3 but I am very very curious to see what Porsche is bringing out. It's entirely possible that it'll be my next car, if it addresses the shortcomings from the Tesla vehicle lineup.

Perhaps. I suspect the shortcomings that the Porsche introduces will be worse than the shortcomings of the Tesla. But we shall see.

This idea that only existing Porsche owners care is idiotic. I love my Model 3 but I am very very curious to see what Porsche is bringing out. It's entirely possible that it'll be my next car, if it addresses the shortcomings from the Tesla vehicle lineup.
I would expect the Taycan to have better driving dynamics than the Model 3. I'm curious to see what the Infotainment system will be like and if they will offer any type of autonomous driving.

I'm very curious about the Taycan Cross Turismo

Porsche_Mission_E_Cross_Turismo_07.jpg

Is this suppose to be a true photo? The wheels look huge proportionally to the car and the car looks kind of squat in that image. Like it was pushed down from the roof. The extra long length also kind of lends to that exaggeration and doesn't look like it would turn corners well. The image just looks weird to me and I wouldn't take it at face value.

Well I guess I’m an idiot then.

The idea that the vehicle will cater to Porsche-lovers is the same as the idea of the I-Pace catering mostly to Jag loyalists or people that want to steer clear of Tesla. Same thesis for E-tron. Yes, people like yourself will take a gander and we’re all curious, but it’s always a game of trade-offs. Maybe the Taycan addresses some shortcomings of Tesla vehicles that bother YOU, and that’s great for YOU, but it’s hard to see that being the case for a large swath of customers since they’re likely to be giving up the current best autonomous system as well as the most nimble software update backbone in trade for whatever advantages Taycan offers. Just because it may pull you from Tesla doesn’t make the idea that it won’t pull great numbers idiotic.

Again, on the whole, I’m a skeptic. Not because of Tesla fanboyism, but because I can’t see an ICE manufacturer, Porsche or not, being able to replicate or best the achievements of Tesla’s software and engineering teams in a few short years. The eagerly awaited I-Pace, E-tron, etc. have cemented my belief on that front. No doubt Taycan will be the best so far.

Reactions: EVMeister