Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the track its fun for a few laps until it overheats and you have to come in.

And the story changes a little when pressed:

In a 30 minute lapping sessions in 85F temps I had a battery thermal warning and reduced power midway through the session.

Two years ago, with a very early track mode:

"when the car starts approaching its thermal limits, it dials back power gradually, until the heat output can be managed by the car's cooling capability. And you can keep lapping through it. The car's power output plateaus, the cooling system reaches a steady state. You're more than welcome to continue in this condition until you've drained the batteries. You'll miss some of the hard punch of acceleration coming out of the corners, but you end up driving it like a momentum car. It's still a ton of fun."

Tesla Model 3 Performance: Track Test

And the story changes a little when pressed:

Two years ago, with a very early track mode:

"when the car starts approaching its thermal limits, it dials back power gradually, until the heat output can be managed by the car's cooling capability. And you can keep lapping through it. The car's power output plateaus, the cooling system reaches a steady state. You're more than welcome to continue in this condition until you've drained the batteries. You'll miss some of the hard punch of acceleration coming out of the corners, but you end up driving it like a momentum car. It's still a ton of fun."

Tesla Model 3 Performance: Track Test

I’m a M3P owner that resides in AZ. Last week I drove from Yuma AZ to Phoenix AZ. I averaged 90Mph in 110 degree weather for about 2.5-3hrs... no issues of overheating whatsoever!!! I want to add that I don’t have a light foot and have never had any issues or warnings of overheating

Had to bring this up again, as this article pretty much sums up everything I said in my video
Proud Porsche Taycan Turbo gets humbled on the track by 'affordable' Tesla Model 3

The Taycan is a great car, but lacks the Supercharging infrastructure, software and efficiency and costs 3 times more.

It handles a little better, has a little better built in quality inside and has a complicated 800V system, but if you can buy a better Porsche for 3 times less from Tesla, then this is a no brainer. Plus VW is trying to compare to Model 3 with a vehicle that lacks the charging speed and doesn't even have disc braking and is RWD for almost the same price (ID.3). This just shows how far ahead Model 3 is, if you have to have a 100k car, just to match it. They will eventually catch up at some point, but it will be at least 5 years if not more.

Had to bring this up again, as this article pretty much sums up everything I said in my video
Proud Porsche Taycan Turbo gets humbled on the track by 'affordable' Tesla Model 3

The Taycan is a great car, but lacks the Supercharging infrastructure, software and efficiency and costs 3 times more.

It handles a little better, has a little better built in quality inside and has a complicated 800V system, but if you can buy a better Porsche for 3 times less from Tesla, then this is a no brainer. Plus VW is trying to compare to Model 3 with a vehicle that lacks the charging speed and doesn't even have disc braking and is RWD for almost the same price (ID.3). This just shows how far ahead Model 3 is, if you have to have a 100k car, just to match it. They will eventually catch up at some point, but it will be at least 5 years if not more.
That's an amazing review.
The Tacan Turbo S was slower than other track tests report in the 0-400m?
The Model 3 Performance is surprising me more and more- check this out:
Takes on an A45S with a battery about 80%- very impressive!

The M3P is great as a daily commuter that can fill in for a fun car, if your fun car need is limited.

The Taycan Turbo is a better fun car, arguably not as good for commuting, but I prefer it over the M3P. I like the HMI better, and as my daily driver for the next few years, I don’t care much about range differences or and Supercharging.

The Turbo S is amazing. It’s not a better value than a M3P or S performance, but as a better car imo (we’ve had S’s, have a M3P, and are shopping for a couple more EVs). A better driving M3P with nearly the acceleration of the S. It’s exciting to think of how much better the EV options will be in even 5-10 years as there begins to be competition in the EV segment.

Last edited:
Having not driven the Taycan, I can't speak to it specifically. What I do know is it's an incredible first effort. Is it the same value as a Model 3? Of course not--that's ridiculous. But Tesla has had a 15? year head start to achieve that value and charging footprint. Let's be honest, more competition among EV offerings is good for the segment; a rising tide lifts all boats, after all. Tesla wins hands down on a lot of fronts, but let's be brutally honest here: the 3 is jarring at first as a driver. I'm a gearhead and a pilot and am used to having information directly in front of me with tactile controls I can touch without looking at them. Does that make the 3 wrong? No, it's just different. Eventually, we'll see most cars with this setup and wonder why we did it the old way (similar to Apple when they killed off the floppy drive, and then CD drive). But Porsche may have an advantage in the near-term by incorporating a traditional cockpit that looks similar to a Panamera--it's a much easier transition for current ICE drivers, especially if they already own a Porsche.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
it's a much easier transition for current ICE drivers, especially if they already own a Porsche.
I agree, it's easier, but I think the transition to a slightly different interface is trivial for most people. So it's easier, but not much easier. Not enough to give Porsche an advantage. In terms of car interior, what WILL give them an advantage is the air of perceived increased luxury and quality in the cabin.

Reactions: BoddagettaRN
Having not driven the Taycan, I can't speak to it specifically. What I do know is it's an incredible first effort. Is it the same value as a Model 3? Of course not--that's ridiculous. But Tesla has had a 15? year head start to achieve that value and charging footprint. Let's be honest, more competition among EV offerings is good for the segment; a rising tide lifts all boats, after all. Tesla wins hands down on a lot of fronts, but let's be brutally honest here: the 3 is jarring at first as a driver. I'm a gearhead and a pilot and am used to having information directly in front of me with tactile controls I can touch without looking at them. Does that make the 3 wrong? No, it's just different. Eventually, we'll see most cars with this setup and wonder why we did it the old way (similar to Apple when they killed off the floppy drive, and then CD drive). But Porsche may have an advantage in the near-term by incorporating a traditional cockpit that looks similar to a Panamera--it's a much easier transition for current ICE drivers, especially if they already own a Porsche.
Well I've had two Porsches (997.1 GT3 and Macan S) and many Bimmers (1M, E90 M3, too many X5 4.6 and 4.8 M prequels) and it took me all of 5 minutes to adapt and be blown away. And I'm kinda old! (68). BTW, still have the 1M; awesome ICE, but can't get excited about it much now.

Reactions: BoddagettaRN