Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Porsche Taycan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before I hit my head into the wall, please tell me that you can see that:

"386 - 463 km Reichweite kombiniert (WLTP)"

... is the same thing as:

"up to 463 km WLTP"

Please, please tell me that you can see that.

Just because they say up to does not mean they are only using sections from the WLTP cycles. It just means if you drive it hard you will not obtain this number. All manufacturer's might as well say "up to" but I think everyone knows it is a given.

If you go on the UK Porsche site, you can get a range calculator for the Taycan. I think this is as transparent as it can get - 4S defaults to the standard battery with full heating/AC on and the standard wheels. It suggests 188 miles on a 30% city, 40% country road, 30% motorway. For the larger battery, this is 220 miles; Eco mode gives 216/251 miles combined. If you alter the temp scale from -10C (14F) to 35C (95F) and change the HVAC to Eco mode to off here are the ranges you get. I sure hope they are close to reality.

ranges.JPG

As everyone here agrees, the Tesla has clear advantage in price, supercharger network and battery range. That being said, the build quality and variety of choices go to Porsche. From the Vox review handling is probably on par with the Porsche and better than the model S (but that was done on the much more expensive Turbo). Also on the Vox with 90 km highway taking 50% of battery one should remember they drove up to 250 km/h in the rain....

Just because they say up to does not mean they are only using sections from the WLTP cycles. It just means if you drive it hard you will not obtain this number. All manufacturer's might as well say "up to" but I think everyone knows it is a given.
The WLTP combined rating is based on a standardized driving cycle. I think the low and high numbers are simply there to make clear that the range can vary based on the configuration of the car. We know from Tesla that the wheel/tire combination in particular makes a big difference for EV range. It's not surprising that the 21" wheels with huge 305/30 tires in the back cost a lot of range.

Believe the Tesla still provides the best combination of price/range/performance.

In fact I believe that the Model 3 provides the best combination of styling, price, performance, handling, technology, interior room and availability in the World.

Some may beat it at one of these things, but overall it provides a compelling value with tremendous capabilities.

Reactions: Mr X
2020 Porsche Taycan Suspension Deep Dive | How it works

2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo | Suspension Deep Dive

3-fr-brk-shoe.jpg

"That’s a size 13 shoe. That rotor is just over 16.5 inches in diameter, and we can clearly see that the span of the caliper is broader than that. This is an Akebono-supplied 10-piston fixed caliper, and I have indicated the five pistons that reside on the near side. The bleed ports and crossover tube are just above and below them, and the rest of the metal is there to give the caliper stiffness and keep it from jacking itself open."

At first, this was all a bit peculiar to me. The Taycan can generate a monstrous 0.39 g of regenerative braking via the magnetism in its electric motors. That’s enough to handle all but the most aggressive street stops, and Porsche suggests that about 95 percent of the time, these calipers are just along for the ride. The recommended replacement interval is six years, and that’s a safeguard against corrosion effects; they’d last much longer otherwise. Likewise, that shiny coating is there to ensure the rotors always look good and never corrode despite pads that will oftentimes be out of the loop and unable to keep them scrubbed.

Why so massive, then? Two reasons come to mind. This is a driver’s car that begs to be driven hard. You’ll need good brakes when you cane it in the mountains. But even that might not even register unless you’re on a real racetrack. The other reason was made clear to me on Germany’s Autobahn. There we were, sailing along (legally) at 167 mph, when someone pulled into our lane doing 70 mph. All 10 pistons in these Akebonos made instant sense in one sudden brake application.

Interesting feature on the 2021 Taycan:

"Battery preservation while charging is another function that is new for the 2021 model year. It can regulate the charging capacity at suitable charging points (e.g. DC fast charging stations) to around 200 kW, when customers are planning to make a longer stop. This extends the battery’s service life and reduces the overall power loss while charging. Drivers can select this function using the central display. Of course, if customers choose not to use this option, a charging capacity of up to 270 kW remains available at 800-volt high-power charging stations"

If you really want to know what the Taycan is all about, I suggest visiting a Porsche Experience Center and sign up for the Taycan Turbo S experience.

If one is worried about gas mileage or money, Porsche is not for you. If you enjoy driving, you should test one. You will get a kick out of it. It dances well for a Big Gal.

Home | Porsche Experience Center - Los Angeles, CA

Porsche Driving Atlanta FB Title

Taycan Cross Turismo spotted i the wild. I can't remember where it was but there was a discussion about EV station wagons and someone was a bit wary of the Taycan version because the "cross" in the name hinted at it being lifted, but this one in the video at least looks like its keeping quite a low profile.

I can't remember where it was but there was a discussion about EV station wagons and someone was a bit wary of the Taycan version because the "cross" in the name hinted at it being lifted, but this one in the video at least looks like its keeping quite a low profile.
It's not a big secret that it is a station wagon version of the Taycan, it's even on their official website. ;)

Porsche Mission E Cross Turismo - Porsche E-Performance - Unternehmen - Porsche Österreich

Have any Model S owners driven the Taycan? I'm wondering how much better the interior fit and finish is, not to mention the drive? I know the Porsche has got to be leagues better, since the Model S interior leaves a fair bit to be desired.
I've driven a few Model S cars, and own a MX.

The Porsche, Audi, and Jaguar EVs have excellent well appointed interiors.
You would compare those three to gas $90k luxury cars.
Tesla just hasn't put much emphasis on the interiors.

I've driven a few Model S cars, and own a MX.

The Porsche, Audi, and Jaguar EVs have excellent well appointed interiors.
You would compare those three to gas $90k luxury cars.
Tesla just hasn't put much emphasis on the interiors.
Yeah, I've test driven a Model S and came away even less satisfied than with my Model 3's interior. The difference is the Model 3 costs half the amount of the S/X, so I can forgive the lack of appointments inside. I know these are very first world complaints, but I do miss massage and ventilated seat options (which the Taycan has), but these seem to be completely absent from Tesla, except for a brief period in 2017. Might go test drive some of VW's electric options.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
I put a deposit on a Taycan 4S after driving one recently. I have time to change my mind as my build hasn’t been locked yet. The ride and handling are what sold me. It’s easy to push the price up with options. The downside is the app and trip charging, AFAIK.

I’m going to drive a Model S to compare.

Reactions: AdamMacDon