Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible Model 3 Door Lock Flaw

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got back from the LA Auto Show and as many of you know, there is a red model 3 on display. The doors were locked so I looked at ways to unlocked it because I really want to sit in the car to check driver's POV of the dash/windshield. I think I found a way in because this is a frameless window and I think through the gap I created with my finger by pressing the rubber trim and pulling the window I think I could have unlocked it with a clothes hanger or a thin metal yardstick. Looks like I can get something metal to slide in and press the unlock button.

You can see in a snapshot from a YouTube video. Slide metal through window gap to the button to open the door.

Attachments

• Door.jpg
    Door.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 222
I just got back from the LA Auto Show and as many of you know, there is a red model 3 on display. The doors were locked so I looked at ways to unlocked it because I really want to sit in the car to check driver's POV of the dash/windshield. I think I found a way in because this is a frameless window and I think through the gap I created with my finger by pressing the rubber trim and pulling the window I think I could have unlocked it with a clothes hanger or a thin metal yardstick. Looks like I can get something metal to slide in and press the unlock button.

You can see in a snapshot from a YouTube video. Slide metal through window gap to the button to open the door.

You could ostensibly though grab the manual door unlock mechanism, though it would be harder to get to and might require a decent amount of force (relative to what a wire would allow).

All that aside, what are you going to do once inside? Can't hotwire it...

^^^
Yep. I personally saw a roadside assistance person use the above to aid in opening a rental car that I'd accidentally left the keys inside of.

IIRC, once he got the door frame temporarily pulled back enough, he used some other object to unlock the door: to either push the button or to move the lock switch.

Somehow people will continue to come up with ideas of how Teslas are flawed vs other cars.

“What happens when you lose your phone?” ... the same thing that happens when you lose your key

“What happens when the car runs out of charge?” ... the same thing that happens when you run out of gas

The list continues

• Informative
Reactions: ElectroCat and DR61

You also could have busted the window and used the manual release to get into the car to see how the seats felt.

Based on your bizarre proclivity for looking at something from a breaking & entering angle I'm surprised you didn't just find a brick and do it that way.

Somehow people will continue to come up with ideas of how Teslas are flawed vs other cars.

“What happens when you lose your phone?” ... the same thing that happens when you lose your key

“What happens when the car runs out of charge?” ... the same thing that happens when you run out of gas

The list continues

My favorite is:

"What happens when there is a power outage?" ... the same thing for an ICE. You can't dispense gas if power is out to the computers at the fill-up station.

Heck I would just use a jagged lock and smash the window. Obvious engineering flaw

• Funny
Reactions: NeverFollow
I don't see why there's so much confusion over this, it's nothing new. My car is 12 years old and has a thumb button on the handle to open the door from the inside, just like Model 3. People figure it out fast, it doesn't work when the car is locked, and there's a lever to pop the door in case of emergency (though it's on the bottom of the door sill, not next to the handle like on the Model 3).

If someone wants in, they're just going to break the damned window like on the Model S and X, not be like "OH. This is a Model 3. Lemme do this overcomplicated thing!"

You jam your fingers into the trim and pulled the window? The *uck is wrong with you? If you're at an auto show and the doors are locked, you aren't meant to enter. I get it, you wanted to... act like an adult that respects property. Encourage others to do the same.

I'm sorry, but the departure of reason regarding pursuit and viewing of this car is ridiculous.

Why were you doing that anyway?

Reactions: aronth5