Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible reservation number hint on My Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Then non owners will get their cars in batches of 10k to each region starting with West Coast in order of their times pre unveil.
This cycle will continue in batches of 10k or 5k and continue to go around each region.

I find this very hard to believe, if only because actual Model 3 production plans can not be determined this far in advance. There very well may be "batches", but these numbers are likely pure speculation and should be presented to forum members as such.

Reactions: melindav
I find this very hard to believe, if only because actual Model 3 production plans can not be determined this far in advance. There very well may be "batches", but these numbers are likely pure speculation and should be presented to forum members as such.
With a long wait still ahead, people need stuff to talk about. Lets admit, we all like to know how long we have to wait and our place in the line tell us that.

Not that hard to believe if you take it for what it is. Basically your number in the overall line.

When you factor in the shipping zones and employee / S&X owners it will get skewed somewhat, but it gives you a rough reference for if you will get your car in 2017 or 2018.

Not that hard to believe if you take it for what it is. Basically your number in the overall line.

When you factor in the shipping zones and employee / S&X owners it will get skewed somewhat, but it gives you a rough reference for if you will get your car in 2017 or 2018.

Personally, I setup my order in order to make sure i get a later production Tesla. Also, to give me some time to save up some money so that i dont have to take a large lone.

Interesting reading ... Tesla Model 3: data shows that Tesla and SpaceX employees made over 10,000 reservations

Tesla plans to deliver vehicles in batches based on regions starting with the west coast, closer to the Fremont factory, then expanding east and to other countries. A significant number of the first Model 3 vehicles that will be delivered in California will go to Tesla employees, who have been given priority in the reservation process.

The number started at ~350,000 when Tesla employees were allowed to start placing reservations and reached ~363,000 when the first customers started placing reservations in Australia – meaning that around 13,000 Model 3 reservations were made primarily for Model 3 through Tesla and SpaceX employees. We asked a Tesla representative about our logic to determine the number of reservations made by employees and she wasn’t able to confirm or deny the number

Using data from this news article, here's a graph:

View attachment 180181

When just looking at the first day, an interesting pattern emerges:

View attachment 180182

So, my guess is that the counter starts at 350,000. The first 15,000 are reserved for Tesla employees. In-store purchases started at 365,000, counting up by 45,000. On-line ordering started at about 410,000.

My two reservation numbers are 326XXX and 468XXX. I was 21st in line at Brea, CA and card swiped at 3/31 10:20AM PST.

I was having a good look at the "My Tesla" page, and in the source html there appears to be reference to two unique identifiers in addition to the RN number which is displayed on the page.

The first is called "uid", and is an 8 digit number. The other, more interesting one is called "ReservationId", and is a six digit number. My number was "3xxxxx". I wonder if this an actual indicative reservation number based on the parameters already made public (Date of reservation / region / existing Tesla owner).

Can anyone who lives near Hawthorne have a look at their page and see if their "ReservationId" looks something like x1xxxx? Apparently Tesla/SpaceX employees get first dibs on reservations, but some reservation holders local to the factory should be in the first 20k.

I'm quite aware that this could be utter nonsense, but thought it was intruiging nonetheless.

View attachment 179739

So what does it mean if I only have an RN number? I've searched the source code, and that's it.

• Funny
Reactions: DrivingTheFuture
So what does it mean if I only have an RN number? I've searched the source code, and that's it.

Read posts above in this thread, Tesla has removed the number from the source code indicating it was a leak they didn't want the public to see.

If you want to know your number you will have to extrapolate from the data we do have.

Quick question.. its too late and I can't find my reservation number anymore.

Did you guys find any correlation between the confirmation email and your actual number? My co-worker was behind me yet received the confirmation email 12 hours before me. We were both in line in store on 3/31.

Thoughts?

Did you guys find any correlation between the confirmation email and your actual number? My co-worker was behind me yet received the confirmation email 12 hours before me. We were both in line in store on 3/31.

Thoughts?
There is no correlation between the time you received your confirmation email and your reservation number - it's all based upon the time you placed your order.

Yes. Tesla removed it from the website.

Did you guys find any correlation between the confirmation email and your actual number?

It would be when your credit card was charged and Tesla entered your order. The only thing Tesla can tell anyone right now is what number they are in the order line 1-400,000. It's bad customer relations for Tesla not to tell paying customers what it can. We all get the caveats for a car that isn't even in production yet but we did show confidence and support for Tesla in putting in an order but Tesla does not show similar confidence in the customers, treating them badly in this regard.

It's bad customer relations for Tesla not to tell paying customers what it can.
But they do. They tells you what date your reservation is registered, and they tells you how it will distribute the deliveries, and that the date of the reservation will determine your place in the line - after some other factors. Maybe not in full detail, but that they may not even know yet all the details.
The one thing they may know and do not share is if they have recorded the full timestamp in the reservation and if they have, will it have any importance on the configuration/delivery process.

Yes. Tesla removed it from the website.

It would be when your credit card was charged and Tesla entered your order. The only thing Tesla can tell anyone right now is what number they are in the order line 1-400,000. It's bad customer relations for Tesla not to tell paying customers what it can. We all get the caveats for a car that isn't even in production yet but we did show confidence and support for Tesla in putting in an order but Tesla does not show similar confidence in the customers, treating them badly in this regard.
The only other thing I have preordered and then wondered where I was in line was the Coin. To be honest I am not really that concerned about where I am in line (waste of energy). I am more interested in knowing when I will be able to get my vehicle after placing my order, since that has less to do with the reservation date and more to do with what options I choose.

It would be when your credit card was charged and Tesla entered your order. The only thing Tesla can tell anyone right now is what number they are in the order line 1-400,000. It's bad customer relations for Tesla not to tell paying customers what it can.

I disagree with your statement about bad customer relations for not divulging this.

They've already said that there are numerous factors that will come into play other than time of reservation. Since the reservation didn't commit anyone to a build yet, Tesla doesn't have any way to take that aspect into account. Telling somebody they were the 8th reservation in the world really means nothing if they're getting a base and not a highly optioned vehicle. That 8th person could be bumped by thousands of others reservation holders who are willing to get a fully optioned Model 3.

Add to that the fact that existing Tesla owners will also be more highly prioritized, as will Tesla and SpaceX employees above them. And on top of that, anyone who buys an S or X now will also be pushed up the list to get their Model 3 sooner.

The point is that for Tesla to tell people what number they were in line on day one might ease your curiosity, but it's a completely meaningless number for most buyers, and Tesla doesn't want the bad press of anyone crying, "I have an email saying that I was 94th reservation made but now I'm getting the thirty-thousandth car manufactured and it's just not fair!"

Reactions: melindav
I disagree with your statement about bad customer relations for not divulging this.

They've already said that there are numerous factors that will come into play other than time of reservation. Since the reservation didn't commit anyone to a build yet, Tesla doesn't have any way to take that aspect into account. Telling somebody they were the 8th reservation in the world really means nothing if they're getting a base and not a highly optioned vehicle. That 8th person could be bumped by thousands of others reservation holders who are willing to get a fully optioned Model 3.

Add to that the fact that existing Tesla owners will also be more highly prioritized, as will Tesla and SpaceX employees above them. And on top of that, anyone who buys an S or X now will also be pushed up the list to get their Model 3 sooner.

The point is that for Tesla to tell people what number they were in line on day one might ease your curiosity, but it's a completely meaningless number for most buyers, and Tesla doesn't want the bad press of anyone crying, "I have an email saying that I was 94th reservation made but now I'm getting the thirty-thousandth car manufactured and it's just not fair!"

Not knowing our position in the queue is fine but the one policy I don't quite agree with is pushing new Model 3 orders up the list if they also buy a Model S now. It is fine if those who had a Model S when Model 3 order books opened, to be given preference. To me, that group represents loyal satisfied customers. However, as far as I am concerned, those who order Model S now are new customers of Tesla just like those of us who ordered a Model 3. If Tesla pushes them ahead of those of us who eagerly followed the launch of Model 3 and placed orders, then that just says Tesla is rewarding deep pockets rather than brand loyalty.

Not knowing our position in the queue is fine but the one policy I don't quite agree with is pushing new Model 3 orders up the list if they also buy a Model S now.

That's the part they removed from the reserving a model 3 blog post... I mentioned it somewhere possibly another thread.

here it is
Going with Model S 60D Keeping Reservation?

• Informative
Reactions: MassModel3 and Jayc