Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible to enlarge the frunk of a refresh RWD Model S without HEPA filter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2017 Model S (obviously refresh, given the year) RWD, without the Premium package, so no HEPA filter. Despite this, as many have complained, the frunk is unusably small. There's presumably a lot of empty space behind the frunk's plastic enclosure, and I'd love to liberate it.

Has anyone here seen or heard of someone enlarging the frunk in cars but installing custom plastic that takes up the space that would otherwise be occupied by the second motor and/or the HEPA filter? I'd love to do it, and would be more than happy to help someone with good engineering skills make this happen.

• Disagree
Reactions: GayForEllon
If you look at the video I posted at the 2:16 mark, you get a feel for what is there. Behind the back wall of the frunk is the 12 volt battery and a reservoir (possibly battery coolant but I'm not sure). There is also a silver structure cross-beam immediately forward of them that I don't believe was there in the old-style, larger frunk. Immediately below it is the front drive motor. Perhaps that cross-brace is necessary because of the drive motor. It does appear you might be able to generate some additional space to the right and left of the frunk "tub" walls (maybe 2-3 inches per side, but I don't believe there is a lot of room to be gained and nothing like the old frunk.

Additionally, at the 3:47 mark she shows the back of the frunk "tub" and you can see the bio-weapons defense filter is installed there. that would imply to me that you'd have to remove the filter and re-route the car ventilation system intake in some way, but you still don't gain much space due to the aforementioned cross brace and relocated 12 volt battery and the reservoir.

frunk.jpg