Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Initial Problems with the Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to Elon, the new car coming off the line after April 28 will be "Flawless". I defintely believe that.

That is not what he said.
He said that is when the first flawless one happened.
Then it was followed up with "And now we are starting to get several in a row that are sort of"

"Several in a row" is NOT every car.

Technically, they have been "sort of" flawless from the beginning, depending on your definition of "sort of"

LOL

• Funny
Reactions: electricity
@X Yes?[QUOTE="X Yes?, post: 1519077, member: 47883" She will be the primary driver.She will not handle repeated trips the shop well. but want to avoid Lemon law or resale.Thanks[/QUOTE]

WELCOME to TMC . I am in a similar situation as yours, waiting patiently for issues to settle down. Agree with goneskiian and ohmman.

In yesterday's analyist call it was stated that the first Model X free from production flaws crossed the threshold at 3:00AM last Friday.
I'm delaying my release for production on my Model X until they can get this under control.

That certainly is the safe bet, but there is something I don't think that they did speak about a more important issue - happy if someone could correct me.

It is one milestone to say that a car came off the line without defects and that they are getting a better handle on the line.
However, I would have like to hear them say that they are no longer selling cars to customers that have obvious defects - e.g. their quality control process and testing before delivery has been greatly improved from what they have been doing.

Nothing wrong with a car having an issue coming off the line - happens to everyone. That is why there is QC and they/others can fine tune it. But selling so many of those cars is not expected from a $120k car.

(yes, I know that is a very high bar, but given some of the issues discussed here, we ain't taking brain science)

Reactions: Coolcarx
I don't often agree with @goneskiian but they're right on this one ;)

With one modification. They don't make it, but hopefully someone in Tesla is checking quality as they are accepting delivery or at least before the car is offered to the customer. So the ultimate responsibility for the customer getting the windshield is Tesla's.
Hard to argue with facts! ;)

For future reference, the most appropriate pronoun is "he". I assumed that was the case for you as well but then thought I'd better not assume.

That certainly is the safe bet, but there is something I don't think that they did speak about a more important issue - happy if someone could correct me.

It is one milestone to say that a car came off the line without defects and that they are getting a better handle on the line.
However, I would have like to hear them say that they are no longer selling cars to customers that have obvious defects - e.g. their quality control process and testing before delivery has been greatly improved from what they have been doing.

Nothing wrong with a car having an issue coming off the line - happens to everyone. That is why there is QC and they/others can fine tune it. But selling so many of those cars is not expected from a $120k car.

(yes, I know that is a very high bar, but given some of the issues discussed here, we ain't taking brain science)
Stop making sense! :confused: :p ;)

Reactions: Drivin
Looking at Model X, should I buy?

Obviously new to the forum, Question: should a 30yr old with a young family buy this vehicle?

I am very impressed with the technology, my wife is more focused on day to day practicality and reliability. She will be the primary driver.
She will not handle repeated trips the shop well. Are the kinks out? Most interested to hear from folks that have recently taken delivery.

I'd like to order, but want to avoid Lemon law or resale.

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback: consensus is wait.

• Helpful
Reactions: Mark Z
Hard to argue with facts! ;)

For future reference, the most appropriate pronoun is "he". I assumed that was the case for you as well but then thought I'd better not assume.

Yeah, I just used the same pronoun you did ;) Made the mistake of using "he" once for a name which seemed masculine and was criticized for not knowing that long time poster "DaveyMcDaveFace" is a female.

Stop making sense! :confused: :p ;)

Sorry, don't know what came over me ;)

Reactions: goneskiian
Quick update on my situation – the ranger team (Tesla's mobile service crew) came out to my office yesterday to replace the third row seats (recalled based on failed latch, pre-April 2016 build). It was pretty cool! Roger and Kevin (the team) was in-and-out in about an hour, and even offered to check out anything else that might be causing me problems.

Wait, what?
For my X they said they didn't have the ability to do the 3rd row seat swap at the service center... they had to send it out to a body shop to get that done. It has been at the body shop for over a week so far for that (after spending the previous week at the service center on other issues). Has anyone else had the 3rd row recall replacement (7 seater)? Did it take an hour or a week or more?[/QUOTE]

Wait, what?
For my X they said they didn't have the ability to do the 3rd row seat swap at the service center... they had to send it out to a body shop to get that done. It has been at the body shop for over a week so far for that (after spending the previous week at the service center on other issues). Has anyone else had the 3rd row recall replacement (7 seater)? Did it take an hour or a week or more?
[/QUOTE]

My 3rd row recall work was done at SC in a couple of hours. Dropped it off in the morning and picked it up in early evening. Super easy.

2 hours and I waited but 6 seater. should not make difference for 7?[/QUOTE]
I have a 7 seater and it took a matter of hours, as noted up thread. Must be some other issue as a 3rd party body shop should not be doing recall or warranty work.

Fit'n'finish question for people who took delivery of a Model X. Does the top on your car look like the pic I uploaded?
Notice the rough edge on that. It almost seems like they missed placing a rubber lining one the bottom edge like it is on the top edge.
The SC said they looked at several others and they are all exactly the same. They agree it doesn't look nice but they can't do much as it seems the factory is producing like this.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    237.6 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Drivin