Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Your Tesla Solar Layout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Both of you guys seem to agree the approx cost per panel is ~$650-683 looking at an all-in cost. i.e. labor, material, mount etc.

I was considering adding 3 additional panels to mine just for aesthetics reasons as it would complete a full rectangle of panels. Can't say it's worth almost $2k for this reason. Thanks

Both of you guys seem to agree the approx cost per panel is ~$650-683 looking at an all-in cost. i.e. labor, material, mount etc.

I was considering adding 3 additional panels to mine just for aesthetics reasons as it would complete a full rectangle of panels. Can't say it's worth almost $2k for this reason. Thanks
Don't forget to take the tax savings into account as well.

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
More progression. Permits have been received! Now I wait to be scheduled for install. Anyone have any guesses for how long that can take?
First major set back. APS, my power company has denied Tesla's interconnection plan and needs it to be revised. To Tesla's credit, I had a text message this morning at 7am notifying me of this. I was already CC'd with my power company, but it is nice Tesla Energy is being active in their communication so far.

I had a similar issue with my interconnect. Revisions required due to errors on the app. To Tesla’s credit, they had it corrected and resubmitted within 24 hours. All in all set it back by a couple of days tops. Interconnect was approved last Friday and was contacted to schedule install Monday morning. In my case, the early stages needed a bit of hand holding, but as of late, Tesla has really been on the ball. Ymmv of course.

I posted a similar reply in an IL specific thread. Here is my proposed layout for a home in IL. ComEd as the power company, with net metering, limits the output to 110% of last 12 months usage. For me that was right around 10,594. Tesla advised me that ComEd uses PV Watts to determine size, and when I plug 7.82 into the calculator, along with using Tesla's same parameters, I arrive at a range of 9,734 and 10,594. Is Tesla's estimate of 8,511, lower than most people have seen? It just seems very low. Has anyone produced more than what Tesla's original estimate was?

For the layout, there are no vents on the left side of the house. Tesla told me that it would make no sense to place panels there. Right structure is the garage.

Thanks for any tips.

Attachments

• solar.png
    solar.png
    98.2 KB · Views: 94
I posted a similar reply in an IL specific thread. Here is my proposed layout for a home in IL. ComEd as the power company, with net metering, limits the output to 110% of last 12 months usage. For me that was right around 10,594. Tesla advised me that ComEd uses PV Watts to determine size, and when I plug 7.82 into the calculator, along with using Tesla's same parameters, I arrive at a range of 9,734 and 10,594. Is Tesla's estimate of 8,511, lower than most people have seen? It just seems very low. Has anyone produced more than what Tesla's original estimate was?

For the layout, there are no vents on the left side of the house. Tesla told me that it would make no sense to place panels there. Right structure is the garage.

Thanks for any tips.

I don’t know about ConEd, but I did ask a Tesla advisor for a revised layout to add more panels because I had another company’s bid with more panels placed on my ESEast roof. Tesla said I needed a site visit. After the visit the designer added two more panels to 36 as well as moved some around. I then didn’t want the four panels on a small roof in the shade so they did a third layout and removed the four and placed them in a better location. This caused a week plus delay, but the permit was already in the works with PGE.

I have seen my permit with my city online; it has only 34 panels and 11.24 kw. I am working on them to update the permit to 36 panels before my instal date of September 17-18.

I think you might try for a site visit request. I didn’t want to delay the process with a site visit, but the advisor insisted on the visit.

Screenshot_20200815-191500_Chrome.jpg
20200815_193610.jpg
My energy advisor said that this layout is the most productive. I asked him to move the front panels and other panels to SW. And he said that they will just take out the front panels and it will decrease my production.
I have local company quote me with 7.82Kw system (23 panels) with the same panel and inverter that Tesla is using. Annual production is 12213 kwh at 116% of my annual use.
And all the panels are facing SW.

What do you guys think? TIA.

@Cali_wete.

If you think your other provider plan is better because you are on site and can see where the sun actually is on your roof, I would call with my concerns and also mention the other layout you have. I was able to get a site visit and then a new layout. See my post above. The advisor I spoke to worked with me on the phone after the visit and sent an email to the designer and the layout was adjusted to my satisfaction, actually two times by two different advisors.

Reactions: Cali_wete
I have been research this. It looks like Tesla recently changed their policy and became very firm not revising the design.

here is Tesla design for my house which producing a whopping 123kWh. It is probably a careless Tesla designers typo.

View attachment 576858 View attachment 576859 My energy advisor said that this layout is the most productive. I asked him to move the front panels and other panels to SW. And he said that they will just take out the front panels and it will decrease my production.
I have local company quote me with 7.82Kw system (23 panels) with the same panel and inverter that Tesla is using. Annual production is 12213 kwh at 116% of my annual use.
And all the panels are facing SW.

What do you guys think? TIA.

Sorry click on post accidentally.

I also did a mock up using Tesla’s scale, following the fire code of CA and observing Zep Solar mounting systems limitations. Tesla’s design is way off. But they won’t consider change anything. Very frustrating.
302E66F0-243D-4DE0-AABA-9485C7AE2321.jpeg
2B994AEC-9295-4E60-A362-25F1C8A4A4CF.jpeg

I have been research this. It looks like Tesla recently changed their policy and became very firm not revising the design.

here is Tesla design for my house which producing a whopping 123kWh. It is probably a careless Tesla designers typo.

I didn't find that they would not change the design. See my posts above, the design was changed twice. This occurred in mid July 2020

I ordered a medium got downsized to this, guess my roof is too small. I did ask my adviser about using the two attached structures but trenching might be too cost prohibitive for the value it brings?

Attachments

• odd design.jpg
    odd design.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 65
I ordered a medium got downsized to this, guess my roof is too small. I did ask my adviser about using the two attached structures but trenching might be too cost prohibitive for the value it brings?

What about the East-facing roof plane available? Why can’t they put panels there?

You could fit a lot more panels if you deal with all your roof vents first.

Reactions: dovac
Sorry click on post accidentally.

I also did a mock up using Tesla’s scale, following the fire code of CA and observing Zep Solar mounting systems limitations. Tesla’s design is way off. But they won’t consider change anything. Very frustrating.View attachment 578032View attachment 578033
Your case is similar to mine. Tesla's mounting system seems to be quite restricitve and my sales rep also cited local building code for fire setbacks. I was hoping to move more panels from North panels to West. All my local installers' proposals put all the 24 panels on south and west roofts. My first design have too many panels on north panels, and after I complained, they moved some to the west roofs but said no more.

Tesla layout 1.JPG

Tesla layout 2.JPG