Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Your Tesla Solar Layout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thought it would be neat to see all of the various panel layouts Tesla prepares for people. Make sure to block out personal info.

Here is mine, which hasn't yet been updated to the new 340W G6+ panels. The 340W panels are going to be a tight fit, if they even fit at all in this layout.

The original plan was for 36 panels in a 6x6 grid, but the roof vents were placed too low to fit (this is new construction), so we switched to an 11x3 grid.

SolarLayout.jpg

Here is my layout from the system they installed on Monday and Tuesday of this week:

79D856E3-CD3A-477A-9851-BEBE0199D07A.jpeg

And here is how it looks installed:

9E96D42B-0E60-4B67-B7AF-2178D42FEC0A.jpeg

4DCCEB0F-06D8-412C-A75F-A14C007761E3.jpeg

B48271CA-5A2D-4097-8325-1A2AED40A94A.jpeg

They did have to move one panel from the side of the house to the back of the house because after they arrived for the install they realized that there wasn’t quite enough room for two panels on the top of the pyramid on the side of the house. So they did a quick layout revision onsite and asked me to sign off on it and kept going.

Also note that I originally requested five powerwalls, but wound up going with four in the end.

Last edited:
Here is my layout from the system they installed on Monday and Tuesday of this week:

View attachment 555737

And here is how it looks installed:

View attachment 555725
View attachment 555727
View attachment 555728

They did have to move one panel from the side of the house to the back of the house because after they arrived for the install they realized that there wasn’t quite enough room for two panels on the top of the pyramid on the side of the house. So they did a quick layout revision onsite and asked me to sign off on it and kept going.

Also note that I originally requested five powerwalls, but wound up going with four in the end.

That is some serious power. Very nice!

What sort of details are you looking for? My install was done with SolarEdge inverters and power optimizers. I believe that if they are using SolarEdge inverters in your design then you will get the power optimizers as well.

I suppose that really is my question. Just whether they are doing it or not or only doing it in specific scenarios like uneven shade on the roof.

I suppose that really is my question. Just whether they are doing it or not or only doing it in specific scenarios like uneven shade on the roof.

I believe that as long as they spec a SolarEdge inverter then they will do the power optimizers with it. I have seen some people who say that their system has Delta inverters and I don’t believe that Delta makes power optimizers. What I don’t know is how or when Tesla decides to use Delta inverters or SolarEdge inverters. I’m not sure if they do it because of shade considerations or something else.

Reactions: Motorbeans
Our install is using the Q-cells panels, which have connectors if you’ve seen the underside photo of them. They will be connected to our SolarEdge inverter, which I think most if not all installs are getting. The only Delta inverters I’ve seen from posts here seem to have been installed when Solar City was doing installs a while back. As for how they work for optimizing, this 2020 solar website review on inverters (site from Australia but comments on American products as well), specifically discusses the SolarEdge HD wave technology (scroll down for #2), and may answer many questions. Delta inverters are mentioned a bit down the review. The SolarEdge inverters have a good warranty period.

Best Solar Inverters 2020 — Clean Energy Reviews

Call Tesla Energy (877-571-7652) and they will be happy to answer your questions on the equipment they are specing. When you are working with TE, let them know you want the SolarEdge as oppose to Delta, if those are even still being installed. We are buying our system so asked a lot of questions about the equipment we were buying and looked over the specifics on our layout and contract to make sure we knew what we were ordering.

Last edited:
UU3dFEp.png

This is with the 315W panels... I want to ask them to change to 340W but afraid they won't fit. It's already pretty tight. For what's it worth, my friend who ordered around the same time and already had permits pulled was able to get them to update his design to the 340W panels just yesterday.

This is with the 315. I've requested an update to 340s and will see what happens! Hoping we can see to move the two isolated panels to the bottom right section.

It seems odd that they put them there, but maybe there was a setback requirement or something that prevented them from putting the panels in the bottom right. Also keep in mind that the 340W panels are physically larger than the 315W panels, so it may even be less likely that the two isolated panels can be combined with the other array.

Reactions: TC_HTX