Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Potentially stupid question. Ludicrous mode and concussions/headaches

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This may be one of the dumbest questions ever posted but I remember running across a thread a while back where the poster has a history of concussions and ludicrous mode made him so sick he bought a standard car. Some of the replies also reported getting migraines, dizziness and other neurological symptoms from ludicrous launches.

I have a neurological condition called Chiari Malformation which causes a lot of balance/headache issues. I am considering a Model X performance but wonder if it might make me sick. Roller coasters, bungee jumping and similar things are a huge no no to me (according to my doc). Anyone ever had any neuro issues or headaches from your launches?

This may be one of the dumbest questions ever posted but I remember running across a thread a while back where the poster has a history of concussions and ludicrous mode made him so sick he bought a standard car. Some of the replies also reported getting migraines, dizziness and other neurological symptoms from ludicrous launches.

I have a neurological condition called Chiari Malformation which causes a lot of balance/headache issues. I am considering a Model X performance but wonder if it might make me sick. Roller coasters, bungee jumping and similar things are a huge no no to me (according to my doc). Anyone ever had any neuro issues or headaches from your launches?
I don't think it's a dumb question at all, but I think you should talk to your doctor about it and provide him/her information about the vehicle's acceleration.

Reactions: Daisame

Not a dumb question, but you may be focusing on the "wrong end of the problem". Extreme accelerations such as in an auto collision or a slip and fall can exacerbate your condition. Here's a report by a law firm that is interested in pursuing this for such victims:

https://www.dolmanlaw.com/can-an-auto-accident-cause-a-chiari-malformation/

Not being a doctor I won't hazard a guess, but there are worse ... and easier ways to cause this. Nonetheless ... why run the risk ... if you are worried about launching your X in Ludicrous mode why pay for that feature? Besides ... you'll have a "note from the doctor" ... and a convincing story if anyone asks why you didn't!

IIRC in another thread, someone had a screenshot where their performance meter showed 1.8 lateral G's... I'm not a doctor, but I could see that being enough to potentially induce problems for someone who is sensitive to those types of neurological issues, especially if they weren't prepared for the acceleration.

Why not consider a non-performance version X?

I've found that accelerator pedal travel is well-calibrated on the Performance models, so it's easy to modulate the power and stay out of the "discomfort" zone. The S/X Performance also have additional acceleration modes. "Sport" mode, which IIRC is the middle setting, softens the gut punching acceleration while still being quick. There's always "Chill" mode, but personally I find it a bit too sluggish.

As long as you are not launching the vehicle all the time it will not effect you. I myself get headaches from launching the car too much.

My suggestion to keep your head against the headrest prior Luda launch this helps.

My neck hurt the first two weeks i had my X. Finally learned to sit back and the punch it. I see why F1 drivers do so many neck exercises.

The only time I use Ludicrous mode is when I'm showing the car to friends who haven't seen it before. I drive in sport mode which has tons of acceleration. (I don't know if I'll ever learn acceleration has two c's and 1 'l'). Maybe too many head snaps.

I can't think of a reason why Ludicrous mode is of any value other than the "show off" factor.

As a point of reference, when I go to amusement parks and they list the statistics on their latest linear acceleration coaster - it is usually slower than my P100D. So, if you are warned against going on roller coasters, it would likely apply to the X as well unless it is for reasons unrelated to forward acceleration (things like going upside down or lateral acceleration may be the reason for that warning, for instance). I'd check with the doctor and mention that the car accelerates about as hard as a linear acceleration coaster.

For reference:
  • Disney's Incredicoaster at DCA goes 0-55 in 4 seconds
  • Six Flags Discovery Kingdom's Vertical Velocity 0-70 in 4 seconds
  • Model X P100D 0-60 in 2.8 seconds
  • Hersheypark's Storm Runner 0-72 in 2 seconds
  • Cedar Point's Top Thrill Dragster 0-120 in 3.8 seconds
  • Great Adventure's Kingda Ka 0-128 in 3.5 seconds

Last edited:
Personally I find the full acceleration of the standard S too much for my inner ear. You probably would never be able to handle the acceleration of the Performance model and I doubt you're going to be drag racing. If you aren't a sports car kind of person to begin with, the non-performance S or X's acceleration is going to probably be more than you ever experienced. I went from a 7s 0-60 car to a 4s 0-60 car and with instant torque you get with electric added in, it's plenty fast for me.

I took someone who had a Porsche 911 for a ride and he was impressed with the get up and go.

Yeah, even my 75D can teach them that lesson with a just a quick tap of the throttle. Just get off the throttle at 35 or 45, whatever the speed limit is, and what them slink on by or turn off.

I pulled ahead of a Caddie after giving him the edge off the line at a light. The road dropped from 4 lanes to 2 so I was a couple of car lengths ahead by the time we reached the choke point. 10 miles up the road when we got back to more lanes he gave me a thumbs up. That was just in sport mode, lol.

Reactions: jboy210
With just my humble 90D I have way more than I need. I was first at a light a few months back and just decided to goose it a bit when the light changed (clear view and obviously no cross traffic running the now red light in the other direction). I may have gotten the throttle about half way down and the car was up to the 40 mph speed limit before leaving the intersection (crossing a street that is one lane each direction with a right turn and left turn lane at the light).

For people who have driven sports cars their entire life, I'm sure that kind of power is no big deal, but it's way more than I need on a daily basis and there are few places when it's safe to use it for fun. The only people who are ever going to get their money's worth out of a P car are those who take them to the track and drag race them. The rest spent a premium on something they will likely never use after the first week of ownership.