Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powder Coating Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quoting a post from another thread but:

Wrapping wheels is possible, though really does not stand up too well to heat, rock chips, etc. Get them powder coated or painted. The only problem with powder coating is that it can weaken the wheel if heated to a too high temperature (just find a reputable shop to avoid this). Or, if you are looking for a matte/semi-gloss finish, you can easily plastidip them (then a coat or two of glossifier for a semi-gloss look.

Is there any way to verify if they damage your wheels with the powder coating process?

I'm just wondering if there is any interest in anyone in Southern California area who wants to trade plus cash (or buy outright) my powdercoated Satin black 19" wheels. I'll even include the black Tesla caps with red lettering. The reason why i didn't post in the for sale part yet is because it isn't quite for sale yet since my new rims are getting measured and fabricated right now and it takes 6-8 weeks to get to me. Just throwing this out there.

I think the powdercoating is the way to go if you want that subtle change while keeping a stock look. I get more than enough attention for the new look. Here is a picture of them:
20130802_210602_zps90cb5ae6.jpg

The Fremont service center knows a guy who does the powder coating in house...I'm taking delivery of my pearl white MS on September 12, and I'm hoping to have my wheels done before actual delivery...When I was in a few weeks ago, one of the service people mentioned that if I brought my car in to have the wheels done, they would even give me a loaner!!

Do you mind PMing me the contact info of the guy at the Fremont service center. I'm interested in getting my wheels done as well.

I'm now thinking of getting either the black or gray with 19" wheels...but I really like the look of the dark wheels.

Has anyone given a thought to having your 19s powder coated? I think it only costs a few hundred dollars....much cheaper than upgrading to performance :).

Any comments? Has anyone powder coated their wheels before, and were you happy with it?

powder coated dark grey (matte) and then added a gloss center hub with silver T logo
t1a.jpg
t1b.jpg

I'm just wondering if there is any interest in anyone in Southern California area who wants to trade plus cash (or buy outright) my powdercoated Satin black 19" wheels. I'll even include the black Tesla caps with red lettering. The reason why i didn't post in the for sale part yet is because it isn't quite for sale yet since my new rims are getting measured and fabricated right now and it takes 6-8 weeks to get to me. Just throwing this out there.

I think the powdercoating is the way to go if you want that subtle change while keeping a stock look. I get more than enough attention for the new look. Here is a picture of them:
View attachment 29591

Did you sell these yet? If not, let me know how to contact you.

I had my 19" wheels powder coated through Joe Torbati at Orinda Auto Detail. Joe called Tesla to get the exact color match as the grey 21" wheels, and also ordered black lug nut covers and grey center caps for me through Tesla. Looks amazing, especially after adding Roger's red decals on the center caps.

This after trying to get on the schedule for the in-house guy at the Fremont SC for over 6 months. They had also promised me a loaner, but like I said, after several months of back and forth trying to even get the guy's availability, I gave up after Joe offered. I'm glad I did...the wheels turned out perfect (as with anything Joe does).