Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power drain while idle (Vampire Load)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This *has* to be fixed or it's a deal breaker.

I thought that wiper speed was a "deal-breaker" for you?:

Uh-oh. That's a complete deal-breaker.

Or the cold weather package?:

Deal breaker for me would be if they don't get their act together on the cold weather package.

Or lack of cup-holders?

This might be a deal-breaker even for me.

Are you certain you want this car? :wink:

Can't you turn the car 'off' if you're going to be parked at the airport for a really long time? To me though, if you any any reasonable distance from the airport and really are going to be gone a long time, it's usually cheaper to take a taxi to the airport and leave your car plugged in at home. This may not work out for everyone of course (live too far away, shorter trip so payback doesn't work...etc).

If Tesla were to do this, then they could begin to wake the rest of the computers up once the fob is sensed, or (as others have suggested) as soon as you pull the handle. To do this, though, they might have had to plan ahead to include a low-power system just to sense and respond to the fob, that doesn't rely upon having the main computers all booted up. Many consumer electronic products do exactly this -- they have a dedicated low-power part to handle signals from the remote control, which can then wake up the more power hungry pieces.
This is what I meant - well said :)

These are hopefully things they are looking at in Model S 2.0 or whatever the next version will be called. We may not get everything we want (if the hardware isn't there now) but it looks like they will try to get people the option to reduce the drain even if that means things don't wake up as fast.

We've had our Model S for about 10 days and love it! One thing I noticed is that if the car is not used or charged for 24 hours it loses about 10 miles of indicated range. This is without opening the doors or otherwise turning the car "on" in any way.

Is this normal behavior? Any idea why it uses 3 kwh per 24 hours?

Confirmed. I drove 10.9 miles after a standard charge to the airport last week. Parked 6 days and 8 hours. Lost 60 ideal miles. Quickly dropped another 6 once I started driving.

Can't you turn the car 'off' if you're going to be parked at the airport for a really long time? To me though, if you any any reasonable distance from the airport and really are going to be gone a long time, it's usually cheaper to take a taxi to the airport and leave your car plugged in at home. This may not work out for everyone of course (live too far away, shorter trip so payback doesn't work...etc).

Cost-wise, it's a wash between paying for round-trip shuttle service 65 miles each way vs. fuel + parking at the airport, considering I live in a very rural area where there is near-zero economy of scale (and roughly 80 miles of the round trip are spent with no other passengers). Convenience-wise, it's a BIG hit to take a shuttle because I have to wait for them, deal with other drop-offs. Car service / taxi is at least 2x the price.

Cost-wise, it's a wash between paying for round-trip shuttle service 65 miles each way vs. fuel + parking at the airport, considering I live in a very rural area where there is near-zero economy of scale (and roughly 80 miles of the round trip are spent with no other passengers). Convenience-wise, it's a BIG hit to take a shuttle because I have to wait for them, deal with other drop-offs. Car service / taxi is at least 2x the price.

It makes sense for you to drive I think. I live only a few miles from the airport so any trip longer than a weekend it is cheaper to take a taxi.
Are there no EV charge spots to negate this drain until the software update comes out for you or maybe they can find you a 110V in a parking deck?

I've never turned the Model S off but would this fix the problem until the update comes out?

If I did the math right - the car is burning 125W at idle. By comparison, that would kill a standard car battery in 5-8 hours. Regular car batteries have no problem going 5-8 months so most cars must be closer to 5W at idle.

I think that your math is a little off. A typical car 12V battery is 50 A-h. Lets say it will last 30 weeks at 168 hr/week. That is 5,040 hours, let's call that 5,000 hours. 50A-h / 5,000hr = 10 mA, which is pretty typical. 10mA * 12V = 120mW

The Prius is notorious for killing batteries in 4 weeks or so. That is because the 12V battery in a Prius is the size of a motor cycle battery (let's say 12A-h) and the "off" current draw is much higher than a regular car. Most Prius owners plan to start (actually put in ready state) their car every 3-4 weeks or put the 12V battery on a maintainer.

I have no idea if your math is correct, but I'm wondering if there isn't anywhere we can see the actual amp draw in real time? On the Roadster you can see it on the dash and it's easy enough to turn a/c etc on and off to see some of the system impacts.

The Roadster has a bar graph for current with a numerical value. The Model S has the kW swinging, "analog" gauge, but no numerical value. When big loads like the heat are kicking in, I have noticed little burbles, but its really hard to be quantitative with the limited resolution of the "analog" gauge. A little number somewhere near the "analog" gauge would be very nice.

It makes sense for you to drive I think. I live only a few miles from the airport so any trip longer than a weekend it is cheaper to take a taxi.
Are there no EV charge spots to negate this drain until the software update comes out for you or maybe they can find you a 110V in a parking deck?

I got good news today from the manager at the main parking company - they just finished a project, installing 5 J1772 chargers free-of-use in the intermediate lot (rather costly though for long stays). Another off-airport lot offers me my choice of NEMA 5-15's which will work just fine.

125W is a little ridiculous... My PC's use ~80W when idle (not including monitors).

Remember that the Tesla is probably running at least 3 ARM chips all the time (drive system, 17" display, and dash display). And I would suspect the Tegra3 they chose to run the screen was probably the fastest/hottest version. Add on to that all the sensors they have to monitor the battery health I don't think it is really that far fetched.

In reality they should be able to drop it to 20W or so. Keep a single CPU core running, and monitoring sensors at a reduced rate.

And if they are running a coolant pump for any reason the 125W starts to look quite small to me.

125W is a little ridiculous... My PC's use ~80W when idle (not including monitors).

My Mac Mini, which is a quad-core 2.6GHz i7, uses around 11-14W when idle, and maxes out at 85W at full bore. 125W would really be pretty far over the top for the Tesla just to keep the computers running. Perhaps there are other draws related to thermal management of the pack or something.

I'm more distressed to hear a report that the car is not using "shore power" when left plugged in for several days. I would expect the car to charge to 90% when I plug it in, and to be at 90% the following morning. I would expect it to still be at 90% a week later if it's still plugged in. And I would not expect it to need more power than my SubZero refrigerator to accomplish this maintenance! :)