Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power drain while idle (Vampire Load)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, even with v5.8.7, my 60's vampire drain hasn't gotten much better. Still losing 7-8 miles at night when not plugged in at all. Temps are in the low 50s in my insulated garage.

I've not had the 12V battery (from January 2013) replaced though in case that's the culprit. Tesla hasn't contacted me about replacing it nor did the service center flag it during a recent visit.

Yes, even with v5.8.7, my 60's vampire drain hasn't gotten much better. Still losing 7-8 miles at night when not plugged in at all. Temps are in the low 50s in my insulated garage.

That's unfortunate. Thought TM had sorted out the issue with the S60s. It appears they have made sleep mode more aggressive with the various iterations of 5.8 in terms of the sleep timer. Mine usually enters sleep immediately upon charge completion and doesn't take too long if I walk away from it during the day. I lose < 2 miles per 12 hours. Not sure what the issue is with the 60s.

@gg - Do you have the original gray 12 V? I don't remember when they switched over to the red one.

That's unfortunate. Thought TM had sorted out the issue with the S60s. It appears they have made sleep mode more aggressive with the various iterations of 5.8 in terms of the sleep timer. Mine usually enters sleep immediately upon charge completion and doesn't take too long if I walk away from it during the day. I lose < 2 miles per 12 hours. Not sure what the issue is with the 60s.

@gg - Do you have the original gray 12 V? I don't remember when they switched over to the red one.

I think GG picked up his S60 at the same time I got mine last January. I just got my car back from it's annual service with a note that says "Replace Excite 12V Battery with C&D". It's only been one night so I can't tell for sure if my vampire drain is lower but I did notice that the car stayed in sleep more for 11 hours straight which is something it never did before. I will monitor the overnight drain for a few days and report back if there is any improvement from the 12V replacement. It will still be hard to say because they also upgraded my firmware to 5.8.7 at the same time.

The service agent told me it's normal to see a drain of between 0.5 - 1.0 miles per hour, even when in sleep mode. I find that guidance to be pretty much useless.

My vehicle was also produced in January 2013. Took delivery in March. Vampire losses are more apparent while at work and even more so when I have to take short hops to another location and back.

vampire_losses_02102014.jpg

Thanks, hans et al. I haven't looked at what battery I have yet but, fwiw, sent this to service at teslamotors.com just now:

My 60 kWh Model S, on firmware v5.8.7 (1.49.84), still loses 7-8 miles of range when sitting idle overnight (for about 12-13 hours) when not plugged in at all. This is in an insulated garage where temperatures are in the 50s.

My car was produced in January 2013 and I'm concerned that this drain is because of the older (Exide?) 12V battery that may require more periodic topping off?! The car may be waking up more often than it needs to do as a result?!

I've read on the forums that many owners whose cars were produced in that timeframe had their original batteries replaced by Tesla to newer (C&D?) 12V batteries. Do I need a similar replacement?

Can you please let me know? I was at the Burlingame service center last week and this was not flagged at that time while several other service bulletins were applied...

Got an email reply from service at corp and then a call from the Burlingame service center. They pulled logs from the car and are fairly certain that it's indeed the 12V battery. Got an appointment next week to get it replaced.

Have to say, Tesla service has really stepped up to another level of late. Now, it's just a matter of having enough loaners.

Got an email reply from service at corp and then a call from the Burlingame service center. They pulled logs from the car and are fairly certain that it's indeed the 12V battery. Got an appointment next week to get it replaced.

Have to say, Tesla service has really stepped up to another level of late. Now, it's just a matter of having enough loaners.

I just had my car in for it's annual service last week and I specifically asked them if the 12V battery needed to be replaced. They told me that it didn't, but then they just called me this morning and said it did in fact have to be replaced. I asked them why they had just told me otherwise a week ago and they said my car had just contacted them telling them the battery needed to be replaced. Presumably this is one of the things they monitor in our cars? Kind of weird.

I agree though about the service. They gave me a ride to work with Uber while they worked on the car and then dropped it off at my work when they were done. Also, the manager sent me an email (no doubt an automated form letter, but still) asking how everything went. All very convenient.

I've been keeping track of my actual kwh used vs what the car says I use. I haven't looked carefully to see if there is a difference in drain between 5.8 and
earlier versions but hope to do so soon.

Last summer, I was away for two weeks and left my car plugged in and the charge timer set for 10:00 PM. At that time, the car "topped up" to the tune of 5 kWh every other day, and the charging cycle always began exactly at 10:00 PM. This means my car was consuming 2.5 kWh / day (vampire drain).

A couple of weeks ago, I was away for 15 days and did the exact same thing. This time, my car would "top up" much more randomly. Sometimes every day, sometimes it might skip two days. While the charging always started after 10:00 PM, it was often much later than that (it did stay in my Off-Peak period, so that was good). If I add up all the consumption while I was away and divide by the number of days, it works out to 3.1 kWh / day -- MORE than before!

I have my car set to "sleep" (and it does) and I have a dedicated meter on my EV charging circuit.

@mknox - Just curious as to what your rated mile loss per day is? Mine ranges between 3-5 rated miles/24 hours. I'm not exactly sure what that corresponds to in kWh/day, but my guess is between 0.9-1.5 kWh which is significantly lower than what you are seeing. I suppose if you take into account charging efficiency my numbers could go as high as 1.8 kWh or so.

Wouldn't "sleep" only apply to an unplugged vehicle?
I'm thinking mine sleeps while plugged in based on the amount of time it takes the dash and console to awaken when I open the door. The i-app also normally says that it is "Waking the car" most of the time it tries to connect. Just tried and it took over a minute and a half to wake up and another 15 sec to finish connecting. I'm losing less than 1 rated mile per day following a 12V replacement last Nov, so the S can now go several days before topping off.

@mknox - Just curious as to what your rated mile loss per day is? Mine ranges between 3-5 rated miles/24 hours. I'm not exactly sure what that corresponds to in kWh/day, but my guess is between 0.9-1.5 kWh which is significantly lower than what you are seeing. I suppose if you take into account charging efficiency my numbers could go as high as 1.8 kWh or so.

My car is rarely ever parked more than just overnight, and when I'm away, I can't really keep track of the rated miles dropping (well, I suppose I could use VisibleTesla on a laptop) and just rely on my energy monitor logs when I get home. I'm really more concerned about the actual electricity out of the wall since that's what I'm paying for.

I have on occasion noted that if my overnight charge finishes by, say, 2:00 AM vs. 7:00 AM I will see a 2 or 3 mile difference when I get into the car.