Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power drain while idle (Vampire Load)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, but why would that run when the car is parked?

It likely starts up when the fob is near the car in anticipation of a drive--similar to the why the door handles are presented. All the times it's been heard the owner is near the car. If the fob stays near the car it will run every time the pressure gets a bit low. It's not likely to run when the fob is absent. I have yet to hear it run on my car, but that probably says more about my hearing or attention span than it does about the car.

It likely starts up when the fob is near the car in anticipation of a drive--similar to the why the door handles are presented. All the times it's been heard the owner is near the car. If the fob stays near the car it will run every time the pressure gets a bit low. It's not likely to run when the fob is absent. I have yet to hear it run on my car, but that probably says more about my hearing or attention span than it does about the car.

I've definitely heard the pump sound coming from the front of my car when the fob was not nearby. I think your theory about the battery coolant pump is the most likely. Perhaps that takes longer to ramp up, so they keep the battery at operational temperature all the time.

Ok, but why would that run when the car is parked?

My theory is it used to, but since 4.4 it doesn't any longer. I've noticed since roughly when I got 4.4 that the brake pedal is "hard" in the morning after sitting over night (i.e. vacuum assist is gone) whereas before the pedal still had power assist in the morning when I tapped it to turn the car on. I wondered if this was a little power savings technique.

- - - Updated - - -

I was looking at my energy logs for last Friday, and noticed something odd:

F0BD29DB-DA43-4A5D-8934-F3B3475987DF.JPG

I started out with 241 miles and ended with 130 which means I "burned" 111 miles of range, yet the "Since Last Charge" meter shows only 102.3 miles driven. Since my Energy Use was actually under Rated (295 Wh/mi), I would have expected the trip meter's distance and the before minus after Rated Range numbers to be pretty much the same. The car sat for about 8 hours at work, so I'm assuming the 9 or so mile difference is the "vampire" losses, and these losses are not reflected in the Trip Meter.

Forgive me being new to this thread and not taking the time to read through all 47 pages. Just took delivery of my P85 on the 4th and promptly left for a week of business travel on the 5th. Decided to see what sort of vampire losses I could expect so fully charged the car and left it sitting in the garage (heated) while I was gone. In one week it went from a rated milage of 270 to 195 which is roughly a 35% loss or 5% per day. Will check the battery level tonight as well as see how much it takes to fully charge it.

Is this the usual level of vampire loss? Insanely high in my opinion and understand that Tesla is working on this (my car is V4.4). My Leaf that I have had for over 2 years only exhibits vampire loss in the range of 0.5% per day parked. Granted it take a few seconds to boot up and be ready to drive but if Nissan is able to eliminate most of these losses, Tesla should be able to as well I hope. Will get expensive feeding that vampire!

Is this the usual level of vampire loss?

For now, yes. Tesla is working on it. They released it once but rolled it back.

My Leaf that I have had for over 2 years only exhibits vampire loss in the range of 0.5% per day parked.

The Model S will always have more vampire drain than the Leaf because of the liquid cooled battery thermal management system. Once Tesla gets it working it should be in the 1% to 1.5% range.

I find this interesting and a little sad as I only lose about. 5% or 1 - 2 miles a day in my Roadster and it has thermal management of its battery. Then again maybe that is we do not have a battery guarantee.

I believe the 1 - 1.5% per day mentioned by jerry33 above only holds true when thermal management is active. Hence, on most days in mild climates, the loss should be comparable to what you observe in your roadster.

Obviously this is all speculation, but I hope that the final product will achieve these results.

The Model S will always have more vampire drain than the Leaf because of the liquid cooled battery thermal management system. Once Tesla gets it working it should be in the 1% to 1.5% range.
But the vampire loss currently on the Model S isn't due to TMS, it's due to onboard computers which are running 24x7. In mild weather there's no reason a car with TMS couldn't match the LEAF in vampire draw - in fact the GM Volt and Focus EV do it.

In one week it went from a rated milage of 270 to 195 which is roughly a 35% loss or 5% per day. Will check the battery level tonight as well as see how much it takes to fully charge it.

It's 5% on an 85KW pack, soon the 40's will be 10% vampire loss per day. Tesla needs to update this. I have 16 day trip and I have to keep our ICE vehicle for an extra month because neither our 40 or 85 will last that long unplugged. Plus I cannot guarantee that i'll be able to get a charging spot at the airport.

- - - Updated - - -

The car sat for about 8 hours at work, so I'm assuming the 9 or so mile difference is the "vampire" losses, and these losses are not reflected in the Trip Meter.

Yup the car does not reflect vampire losses in the trip meters. Those that have been metering wall to battery power see the delta between the trip meter, vampire losses and charging efficiency losses. That 30.1kw + 4KW vampire + 85-90% charging efficiency could use 38-40kw to replenish the battery.

I could almost cry at how much loss I'm getting on standby (idle hmm... edited this out). So I charged up to 330km, then drove to our cabin, got there with 290, let the car sit over night and came back to it at 280, drove 2km the next day and had air conditioning on, and then let it sit over night again. Just checked on the car. Went from 260 ish to 240 in 24 hours. Temperature outside is 25 degrees celcius. I had charged up to 330km so I could just straight shot home today, but I lost 30km in 2 nights do due vampire loss. That's alot, and if I were an every day normal user like my parents, I'd not be impressed, and would be suprised to get in the car and realize that I don't have enough to get back to town (potentially).

That's quite a bit of loss on your second night, much more than I would expect in temperatures that warm. I'm only losing about 5 rated miles over 10 hours or so in the evening and sometimes only 1 rated mile in the daytime over 8-9 hours when I'm at work. Daytime temps have been in the mid-20s C where I work.

Richard,

Were you ever able to silence the vampire? I am having the same pump noise from the front of my car, charging or not. It seems to run constantly.

Josh

Josh, I have put it to sleep for short periods by manually powering the car off, but most of the time it seems to start up again at some point (especially after charging). I took the car in to Tesla and was told that the pump noise is normal. I certainly hope that it is shut down by a future software revision (it bothers me that the pump is constantly running, wasting power, wearing mechanical components and making noise unnecessarily).

But the vampire loss currently on the Model S isn't due to TMS, it's due to onboard computers which are running 24x7. In mild weather there's no reason a car with TMS couldn't match the LEAF in vampire draw - in fact the GM Volt and Focus EV do it.

if you consider Hawaii as a mild climate, I loose about 13 to 15 miles per day. the Vampire losses are not due to cold weather.
I had 4.1 for a week, and losses during that time were much less that they are now. I hope they bring back the sleep mode soon.

Josh, I have put it to sleep for short periods by manually powering the car off, but most of the time it seems to start up again at some point (especially after charging). I took the car in to Tesla and was told that the pump noise is normal. I certainly hope that it is shut down by a future software revision (it bothers me that the pump is constantly running, wasting power, wearing mechanical components and making noise unnecessarily).

Richard - A ranger came to work on my car this week. One of the three coolant pumps wasn't "plugged in", so the other two were working overtime, hence the nonstop humming noise. After investigating, he seated the cables/pins properly, and the car is back to its quiet self. Bravo to Dylan from Seattle!