Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PowerWall and "The Missing Piece..." Event

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
anyone want to guess at the cost for a 10KWH home pack?
$7500?
Anything below $10k excluding subsidies will be a killer in today's market, if it includes all the power electronics and controlling units, remote access etc i.e. "full package". I would like to see Tesla have a gross margin of +30% on these :)
For comparison, a rack holding 12 AGW batteries runs $3,000 - $3,500. That's just the batteries and rack, no electronics that tie into the grid or panel.

anyone want to guess at the cost for a 10KWH home pack?

$7500?

Hmm.

10 year life
$7500/3652.5 = $2.05/day + cost of money.

JB Straubel talked about a near-future $100/kW power electronics cost at the now infamous storage symposium.
So 10kWh/5kw => $500 power cost.
At $300/kWh => $3000 battery cost.
That's $3,500 for batteries and power electronics.
$x for everything else.
Let's say they want gross margin g.
I'm hoping that they've aimed for $5k before shipping, for psychological reasons.
Then
$5k = (1 + g) x ($3.5k+$x)
g = 20%, $x = $666.67
g = 30%, $x = $346.15

Maybe doable if they aren't seeking high margin? I'm hoping that Tesla is looking at this as a cell demand driver, in order to get the Gigafactory investment, rather than trying to make a fast buck on the back of CA's storage targets.

So, is anyone here a little bemused by the 8pm reveal of this? I mean is Elon going to "unleash the titan" holding a shiny battery for your garage? I'm just not sure how you can make an evening event out of just batteries. I would have expected a press conference or something. Ah well, I guess we'll see next week.

So, is anyone here a little bemused by the 8pm reveal of this? I mean is Elon going to "unleash the titan" holding a shiny battery for your garage? I'm just not sure how you
can make an evening event out of just batteries. I would have expected a press conference or something. Ah well, I guess we'll see next week.

Well, at 8pm traffic will be sane and people can get there.

I'd have thought they'd do it around sunset to show a shift from solar to batteries. On April 30th, Sunset in LA will be at 7:36. Civil twilight will end 8:03pm.

Maybe they'll have the event running on solar-powered batteries to show how awesome it is.

I hope he will sell this battery in Hong Kong love to have a few in the house.
My guess is that roll out will be country-to-country for a while. First, Tesla may be using frequency-specific power inverters/rectifiers, and HK is on 50 Hz, while the US is on 60 Hz. Second, there may be differences in national electrical codes that will require country-by-country (or regional) certification. Third, there are likely regulatory issues that will require hand-to-hand combat with each regulator; one of the positions Tesla was seeking to fill was a regulatory advocate.

My guess is that roll out will be country-to-country for a while. First, Tesla may be using frequency-specific power inverters/rectifiers, and HK is on 50 Hz, while the US is on 60 Hz. Second, there may be differences in national electrical codes that will require country-by-country (or regional) certification. Third, there are likely regulatory issues that will require hand-to-hand combat with each regulator; one of the positions Tesla was seeking to fill was a regulatory advocate.

Not forgetting that the US is mainly Single Phase in residential areas where other places in the world use Three Phase in those areas.

The large(r) battery for industrial appliances will be Three Phase I assume, but the smaller ones might have Single Phase inverters at the start. Mainly focused on the USA.

Not forgetting that the US is mainly Single Phase in residential areas where other places in the world use Three Phase in those areas.

The large(r) battery for industrial appliances will be Three Phase I assume, but the smaller ones might have Single Phase inverters at the start. Mainly focused on the USA.

thats right my house is singe now but I planning to change to Three Phase. 146

- - - Updated - - -

Do you guys think this pack can charge the MS?