Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre 2021 that bad?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am considering a M3LR or P. The 2020 models are tempting as can be had for under 30k however I've been reading a lot about the 'Fremont' cars, lack of heat pumps etc and general bad quality.

I am looking at doing 25k a year, is it worth saving extra to get one of the 2021+ models or 19/20 still be a good driving/ownership experience? Thanks!

I am considering a M3LR or P. The 2020 models are tempting as can be had for under 30k however I've been reading a lot about the 'Fremont' cars, lack of heat pumps etc and general bad quality.

I am looking at doing 25k a year, is it worth saving extra to get one of the 2021+ models or 19/20 still be a good driving/ownership experience? Thanks!
I had an April 2020 3LR and it was excellent in every respect.

One small spec of dust under the clear coat on a wing mirror was its only issue at delivery (replaced by a Ranger a few days later). Paint quality was very good and the same after 23k miles when I sold it. Panel gaps were consistent and it was very reliable apart from an own-fault 'fried' eSIM (supercharging & trying to do a software update at the same time) which was replaced a few days later. My current Model Y has a heat pump but honestly, overall kW/m was just as good with that Model 3 (winter comparison).

Hell...it even had a working Radar (until disabled), multiple USS and cameras. If my wife still had her original hip I would still have my original Tesla.

I've got an August 19 SR+ which has been near perfect, only been in Service once in 3 and a bit years and then only for recall work. I think everyone's experience is different and based largely on expectations met or not. The main issue is how much a longer Warranty, Heat Pump and Powered Boot etc. is worth to you.

Reactions: pow216
Like all things, the older the car the more likely to have gremlins through use. My knees are another example

You get good and bad examples of everything, there were more reported issues in the past, but that doesn;t make them all bad, or the newer ones all good

On the flip side, early cars may have had problems for the first owner, but they should have had them sorted. If you buy on condition of the car then you can sort of check this for yourself.

Check the spec of the car though. They constantly change and don't assume any dealer knows what they're talking about. Even the youtube famous ones make plenty of mistakes (like not knowing battery capacity or how many speakers there are in a Model Y). it's not too difficult to work stuff out though if you have access to the car (and there are guides on line)

I wouldn;t ignore the older cars, just be mindful of how much warranty is left and look at the condition of the car, which does unfortunately make buying a car from Tesla a difficult proposition as you're unlikely to be able to see it, at best you might get some pictures

Last cliche... everything has a price.

I'd personally avoid later cars without parking sensors, and if I could I'd get the heatpump as wnter efficiency is better if the budget can stretch that far

Reactions: HenryT
It would be fair to say that pre-2021 are more hit and miss in terms of fit and finish, but I'd presume that to be mostly cosmetic stuff like trim alignment, etc. They were a regular complaint pre-MIC.

It's generally accepted that MIC (Q1 2021 on) cars are more consistent in quality.

It’s only really the early cars from Fremont that had issues. My 2020 has no panel gaps and other than a software update knackering the radio and a boot alignment issue it’s been fine. Both were sorted by Tesla with zero quibbles.

Reactions: exlatccatsa
I wouldn't get too hung up regarding the heat pump desirability. Just to state the facts. Heat pump has undergone 5 revisions and they didn't do that because it was a fine piece of engineering did they? It is noisy in comparison to the resistive heater.
The resistive heater is rated at 6Kw - so heats up the car super quick - once the desired temp is reached it just modulates - so it isn't drawing 6Kwhrs all the time.
My 2020 M3P was rated at 317 miles - the heat pump version was rated at 352 miles - now that looks a big difference doesn't it. However, the heat pump models got an additional 7Kwhr added to the battery - so from a 75Kwr to an 82Kwhr - which explains 28 of those extra miles - so the difference on a 100% use of the battery is just 7 miles, something you could piss away on a few spirited stabs on the loud pedal.

Like everything Tesla they dont usually save updates for a facelift - they introduce stuff as they go along, though they did do a bigger update late 2020 and 2021 - so the month and year will change the spec of the cars your looking at.

Find a car within 50K miles as then you have the opportunity to extend the warranty by up to another 4 years - you could even do it one year at a time providing its in warranty when you do it. You have 5 years warranty on the restraints systems and 8 years or 120,000 miles on the performance for the battery and drivetrain - motors etc.

The heat pump makes a noticeable difference in winter We had a MS and then a M3 without and in winter consumption was dreadful v the summer, whereas the MY has held up much better. The WLTP ratings don’t look at temperature and are done at a temperature where the heat pump benefit doesn't come through.

My Sept 2019 3LR has been great. No reliability issues and no problems with paint or panel fit. I’m at 46k miles now and looked seriously at a new 3 - but honestly, after test driving the newer model it’s hard to justify £25k+ for the switch when it’s the same car with a few tweaks. I’m going to purchase an extended warranty and see what comes along when the 3 gets replaced or seriously facelifted.

Reactions: pow216
Just got my 2019 M3P at the weekend and is a Fremont car from the VIN.
The paint quality is frankly disgusting for something a few years old and sub 40K miles - the trailing edge of the front arches is bare metal in some places. I fitted mudguards this afternoon, but it is the worst I have seen on any car I have owned regardless of age, make or mileage - even some old Japanese bangers I have bought a decade old faired better than this. The rear leading edge/under sill is showing a considerable amount of pitting too.
Only other fit/finish observation is the boot lid is a little proud but may just be a tweak to the rubbers it rides on which I will check out tomorrow.

Do keep in mind if having something like a power trunk, heated steering wheel, and the new ryzen CPU is something you desire/cannot live without. I have a 2020 long range and I personally have no issue lacking those features, but it's something to think about!

On my September 2021 (Made in China) Model 3 Performance it has a few extras

- Heat Pump
- Powered Boot
- Heated Steering Wheel
- Matrix Headlights
- Bigger battery
- Lockable Glovebox
- Laminate Glass on front windows
- Wireless smartphone charging

Overall, I think it's a very good car.

I originally had a 2019 Fremont built Model 3 LR. Build quality was OK. No panel or paint issues, no rattles. Only issue I had in almost 3 years of ownership was a problem with the wiper hinge that got fixed by Tesla. Overall, pretty good.

I would add that the 2022 China built Model Y LR I have now is a step up in terms of build quality, everything seems a little more solid and well put together. I do find it a noticeable difference.

However, it wouldn’t put me off buying an earlier model, my advice would be to inspect it carefully inside and out, including a test drive.