Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prediction: Model S Standard Features Base Model 3 Might Not Have

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
12) Tesla App remote access to car (For preconditioning and monitoring)

13) Keyless entry
I can't see Tesla nickle and diming for these features. A Tesla is a computer. The most advanced car out there and the LTE connectivity and general "tech" is what makes Tesla Tesla.

No way they regress backwards to what every other car manufacturer does (or rather doesn't do) after building the brand on these extremely useful and novel features.

Plus, with a battery, you kinda have to give the user some degree of remote control. It's not a gas engine you can just leave alone. You need to be able to monitor how much range you have and ensure it's charging at the speed you want with an ETA.

Is Tesla really going to expect you to walk out to your car in the rain and adjust the charge level to 100% because you made an impulse travel decision? You can't be expected to go out to your car and check the charge every so often to make sure it's charging and that no squirrels chewed through the wires.

Reactions: Colsla and DR61
Since this is just rampant speculation at this point, here are my guesses:

1) Turn By turn Navigation
Yes, included.

2) Power liftgate
Maybe automatic trunk open as an option?

3) Power Folding mirrors
Option. Model 3 owners club said on one of their YouTube episodes this was confirmed on one of the RCs.

4) Daytime Running lights
Standard. It's part of the cool headlight design anyways, not having them even in the base version makes no sense.

5) Internet Radio
Probably option. I mean, Tesla has such a huge contract with the cell phone carrier they go with, they can probably just throw this in for free anyways. But my gut still says option. Hope I'm wrong.

6) 400 KwH/year supercharger credits
Standard. Or maybe not that amount, but I would bet people will get at least some supercharger credits for free. You have to avoid buyers remorse with purchases this large and showing them just how easy it is to travel long distance with free supercharging credits sounds like one way to fix the anxiety some people still have towards EVs and long distances. Remember, some people are just buying the 3 because it's a Tesla, not because it's an EV.

7) Parking sensors
Standard. Cars way cheaper than 35k have these now. Plus this isn't really a luxury feature, it's safety. This isn't 5 years ago. Having this as standard tech is a pretty reasonable assumption. Now parking assist would be an option.

8) Web Browsing
Probably standard. Just bandwidth slowed down for people who use it a lot. This is kind of a differentiator for Tesla as a brand. Would be stupid not to include it as standard.

9) Power heated front seats
Hmm, for the front seats I'm saying standard. I'm wondering if they'll do a option for all heated seats, but again, simplier car, less features...torn on this one

10) Homelink
Torn on this one too, probably an option. But they'll have to have some standard way of opening the garage door if it's not homelink. Like some button you hit or something.

11) Alcantara headliner
Option, if offered.

Standard. Absolutely standard. It's a brand differentiator for Tesla.

13) Keyless entry
Standard, absolutely standard.

14) Driver seat memory
Standard, brand new Honda Accords have this and they start under 30,000.

15) One-touch power windows
Standard. My really old accord had this feature, and it costs way below 35,000.

16) Automatic rain sensing wipers
Standard.

17) LED headlamps
Standard and we haven't seen anything on any of the RCs or alphas to lead me to believe otherwise.

Last edited:
Reactions: hckyplyr
Since this is just rampant speculation at this point, here are my guesses:

Yes, included.

2) Power liftgate
Maybe automatic trunk open as an option?

3) Power Folding mirrors
Option. Model 3 owners club said on one of their YouTube episodes this was confirmed on one of the RCs.

Standard. It's part of the cool headlight design anyways, not having them even in the base version makes no sense.

5) Internet Radio
Probably option. I mean, Tesla has such a huge contract with the cell phone carrier they go with, they can probably just throw this in for free anyways. But my gut still says option. Hope I'm wrong.

Standard. Or maybe not that amount, but I would bet people will get at least some supercharger credits for free. You have to avoid buyers remorse with purchases this large and showing them just how easy it is to travel long distance with free supercharging credits sounds like one way to fix the anxiety some people still have towards EVs and long distances. Remember, some people are just buying the 3 because it's a Tesla, not because it's an EV.

7) Parking sensors
Standard. Cars way cheaper than 35k have these now. Plus this isn't really a luxury feature, it's safety. This isn't 5 years ago. Having this as standard tech is a pretty reasonable assumption. Now parking assist would be an option.

8) Web Browsing
Probably standard. Just bandwidth slowed down for people who use it a lot. This is kind of a differentiator for Tesla as a brand. Would be stupid not to include it as standard.

Hmm, for the front seats I'm saying standard. I'm wondering if they'll do a option for all heated seats, but again, simplier car, less features...torn on this one

10) Homelink
Torn on this one too, probably an option. But they'll have to have some standard way of opening the garage door if it's not homelink. Like some button you hit or something.

11) Alcantara headliner
Option, if offered.

Standard. Absolutely standard. It's a brand differentiator for Tesla.

13) Keyless entry
Standard, absolutely standard.

14) Driver seat memory
Standard, brand new Honda Accords have this and they start under 30,000.

Standard. My really old accord had this feature, and it costs way below 35,000.

Standard.

17) LED headlamps
Standard and we haven't seen anything on any of the RCs or alphas to lead me to believe otherwise.

Ugh - thank you! OP's list was driving me crazy. Completely agree with all of your responses. Only thing I'd add is that homelink will be optional for sure because of how tightly tied to Summon it is. Assuming it will be part of the tech or premium package...though if Summon is tied to EAP, perhaps part of that. Either way, unlikely to be standard but almost guaranteed as an option.

Reactions: Railhawk52
A very important thing, especially in regard to things that will be built in and only unlocked by software is:

If you really want that feature, it will proabably be an option. If you could live without it, there is a good chance it might be standard.

Turn by turn navigation is such a vital feature, it will definately be part of an option.

tesla-autopilot-details-1.jpg

There was a time when you could buy a Model S P85D and not have navigation, homelink, or automatic keyless entry. Despite the Model S being the most advanced car on the planet.

• Informative
Reactions: ikjadoon
Adding on to the talk about the Model 3 having less features than a Model S, here is a list of standard features on the Model S and X that I think there's a strong chance will not be included in the base Model 3. Many of these features were at some point paid upgrades on the Model S, and I expect that some version of the “Technology Package" will be resurrected to make most if not all these features available at an added cost for the Model 3:

2) Power Liftgate (Kind of obvious)

3) Power Folding mirrors

5) Internet Radio

7) Parking sensors (The sensors are there bc of autopilot, activation may be an added cost)

8) Web Browsing

10) Homelink

11) Alcantara headliner

13) Keyless entry

14) Driver seat memory

17) LED headlamps

To Reiterate, I’m not saying these definitively won’t be included, but I have a strong suspicion they won’t. Any others that could be added to the list?

I can't say I agree at all, half the stuff here will be included, to keep it short I'll cut out the ones I agree with and just put my comments on disagreements in RED below

1) Turn By turn Navigation -Standard, it's a free app on even the cheapest android, how could it not be in a car with a 15" nav. Heck it was even present in the Alpha prototype ride alongs.

3) Power Folding mirrors - manual ability to fold for sure, we've already seen this. Not sure if it'll be powered.

5) Internet Radio - Some kind of digital FM radio will be there. Not sure if you mean XM or somehting else,
6) 400 KwH/year supercharger credits - WILL be there. This is a HUGE part of the sell. Not unlimited but some kWh credits.
7) Parking sensors - If TACC is in the base, I think parking sensors will be there.
8) Web Browsing - That should be included. All cars are connected to the internet at all time already so Tesla can mine your data.

12) Tesla App remote access to car (For preconditioning and monitoring) - STANDARD, for sure, how could they not?
13) Keyless entry - YO MCFLY!!, have you seen the RC candidates? Yeah? Have you seen a keyhole? NO. Keyless entry standard.

16) Automatic rain sensing wipers - There was a theory on this that they're auto for the cameras to get a clear view. If so it's standard
17) LED headlamps - You've seen the RC candidates, they are there already. What are they going to use, bulbs?!?

Reposted from MMuhammad

2) Power Liftgate (Kind of obvious)

3) Power Folding mirrors

5) Internet Radio (

7) Parking sensors (The sensors are there bc of autopilot, activation may be an added cost)

8) Web Browsing

10) Homelink

11) Alcantara headliner

13) Keyless entry

14) Driver seat memory

17) LED headlamps

I think it's almost certain the strike through features will be standard. Unsure about web browsing, but also don't care. I'm not sure 3's will be given a charging credit.

Power liftgate?
I thought it was a trunk on model 3?
I doubt this is even an option.

I also don't get the logic that just because it's cheap that Tesla won't charge for it. Homelink, seat memory, and navigation were paid options when I bought my S.

Power liftgate?
I thought it was a trunk on model 3?
I doubt this is even an option.

I also don't get the logic that just because it's cheap that Tesla won't charge for it. Homelink, seat memory, and navigation were paid options when I bought my S.
I would hope that after half a decade some things that used to be options would one day become standard.

Reactions: Big-T
I would hope that after half a decade some things that used to be options would one day become standard.

They are, on the Model S. But the Model 3 is a different animal.

Night View Assist was an option on the S-Klass in 2005, but it still isn't even an option on the C-Klass.

The idea of bundling such very basic necessities into options is raising the ASP of a car, while keeping a lower base price. Back when the Model S had the "tech package" their real base price was $4000 higher than afterwards, because everyone bought it. I guess the same will be true for the Model 3.

And just look at what other carmakers put into their base trim levels. It is just for a nice sounding base price, no one would actually buy a base 3-series, or a base chevy Malibu, or a base Honda Civic, or a base 911. It is a lot harder to find a car that comes well equipped as a base vehicle, than the opposite.

13) Keyless entry - YO MCFLY!!, have you seen the RC candidates? Yeah? Have you seen a keyhole? NO. Keyless entry standard.
There is keyless entry where you still have to press the fob and keyless entry where the fob only needs to be in the proximity of the door. I believe the keyless entry in this list is referring to the proximity version (I believe that was the option on the old S) so I think it's still an open question.

Reactions: arnis and cizUK
There is keyless entry where you still have to press the fob and keyless entry where the fob only needs to be in the proximity of the door. I believe the keyless entry in this list is referring to the proximity version (I believe that was the option on the old S) so I think it's still an open question.
My prius keyfob needs only proximity... that'd be pretty sad if Model 3 didn't have that.

Correct that's what I was referring to. Didn't know how best to express that. Didn't see any reason for Tesla to implement this except for the fact that the early '15 base S had the auto present handles as an option and not as a base feature.

Also for the DRLs, Tesla doesn't necessarily have to design a new headlight without the DRL bar, they could just limit the functionality to a paid upgrade. Tesla is known to do this, and there are more "software unlocks " even in current S and X besides battery and AP. For instance all cars have the required ducts for Bio weapon defense mode, but Tesla leaves the filters out for those that don't pay. Similarly the auto present X doors have the necessary hardware to open automatically but don't unless the PUP package is purchased.

Oh also I would add heated side mirrors to the original list as base S and X have that.

Honestly I could totally see Tesla charging around $1700 for a tech package with most of these simple things and instantly boosting their margins. Most cars would probably be optioned with the package and I don't think they'll lose a significant number of customers from doing so. Therefore it seems like a sensible business decision.

Reactions: ikjadoon
Adding on to the talk about the Model 3 having less features than a Model S, here is a list of standard features on the Model S and X that I think there's a strong chance will not be included in the base Model 3. Many of these features were at some point paid upgrades on the Model S, and I expect that some version of the “Technology Package" will be resurrected to make most if not all these features available at an added cost for the Model 3:

To Reiterate, I’m not saying these definitively won’t be included, but I have a strong suspicion they won’t. Any others that could be added to the list?

I'd take a third of these off your list. Edit some of the others, here are my thoughts.

1) Turn By turn Navigation - maybe, no argument about putting on the list, convenience item, part of EAP package?

2) Power Liftgate (Kind of obvious) - no argument about putting on the list

3) Power Folding mirrors - no argument about putting on the list

4) Daytime Running lights - not sure why you put this on, they are super cheap low power devices. I don't see this being cut.

5) Internet Radio - maybe, no opinion here.

6) 400 KwH/year supercharger credits - maybe a lower credit based on higher efficiency or tiers of credit based on the trim you buy? Could just as easily be a flat 400 kWh. I'm not making a strong prediction, open to all possibilities on this one.

7) Parking sensors (The sensors are there bc of autopilot, activation may be an added cost). - maybe, no opinion here

8) Web Browsing - dude the web browser is free and will be used to read the owners manual and content linked from the charging station map and such. I can't see this being cut. Not happening.

9) Power heated front seats - likely an option. I'd rather have a heated steering wheel anyway. Change this to Heated Steering Wheel/Front Seats or add another item for the steering wheel?

10) Homelink - Needed for autonomy, I'd like to see as a base feature, could see as a cost cutting feature but then you have to pay for a powered autodimming rear view that isn't homelink so I'm going to say this stays to simplify the production line.

11) Alcantara headliner - don't care, don't want. Might as well cut it.

12) Tesla App remote access to car (For preconditioning and monitoring), nope won't go away, basic feature for a modern car. I think this stays. Heck the Nissan Leaf had this in the base trim in 2011.

13) Keyless entry- nope won't go away, basic feature for a modern car. Toyota had this in the early 2000s in economy cars. My 2005 Prius has sensors on driver, front passenger, and hatch. Lower trims have it driver door only. I could see the number of sensors reduced and having the extra sensors be part of a tech package or stand alone option but I don't think they would remove the driver door sensor or take away the fob. Getting in and just starting the car without reaching for a Key is the norm now.

14) Driver seat memory - Gone, who says the seat is even motorized. Motorized seat is optional.

15) One-touch power windows - no strong opinion, I don't think this is a noticeable cost item but if I'm wrong I wouldn't object to them cutting it.

16) Automatic rain sensing wipers - Part of the autopilot convenience package, will have to pay for EAP to get it.

17) LED headlamps - Tech moves on, this will stay as a base item I think. If I'm wrong I could see this as part of the tech package or a stand alone option.

Last edited:
At the same time there's also the "Alien Dreadnought" idea of speeding up production...

Here in Europe, German cars will typically have a twelve-page list of available options, whereas Japanese/Korean cars will not. A Hyundai Ioniq EV comes standard with a lot of goodies (including a hi-fi system which is frustratingly better than Tesla's Premium Hi-Fi), and the Ioniq has only one "tech" option at around 2000 EUR, and that's it. The only other things you can choose are exterior color (four choices only), rims, and whether or not you want to buy a charging cable from Hyundai.

I would suspect there's a reason to that, namely simplifying production and thereby enhancing speed of production and reliability. Of course, Tesla could mount the same hardware on all M3's and only activate software for those who are willing to pay more (and most certainly will, for certain features), but anyway I think M3 will follow the Japanese route, i.e. simplify options, rather than the German one.

• Love
Reactions: arnis