Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prediction: Model S Standard Features Base Model 3 Might Not Have

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My thoughts, purely speculation, with some knowledge from working in the industry fifteen years ago
1) Turn By turn Navigation - as others said, needed for finding charging to assuage new-EV-owner range anxiety; it's in the Leaf, it will be in the base 3

2) Power Liftgate (Kind of obvious) - of course not, but remote trunk release is standard

3) Power Folding mirrors - I'd be surprised if it was even an option, but maybe with whatever brings auto-park

4) Daytime Running lights - required by too many jurisdictions, and I've never heard of it being an option where it's not required, it's either standard or not available. Tesla will include it

5) Internet Radio - if you mean streaming, it'll be same as web browsing; XM/Sirius will have a free trial in the base radio like nearly all other cars, if they offer it at all

6) 400 KwH/year supercharger credits - definitely included, maybe fewer kWh

7) Parking sensors (The sensors are there bc of autopilot, activation may be an added cost) - warnings will be standard, automation will be part of a package

8) Web Browsing - the tech is included, using it may require paying for access, but I doubt it

9) Power heated front seats - standard, for energy efficiency (drivers won't turn the HVAC as high); even rear seats are standard on Leaf for this reason

10) Homelink - tech package, but I wish it were standard

11) Alcantara headliner - not even an option, unless they have some sort of "founder's edition" type high-end package

12) Tesla App remote access to car (For preconditioning and monitoring) - standard, no question; maybe pay for data service (with web browser), but I doubt it. Again, it's free on other EVs

13) Keyless entry - standard (the full leave-it-in-your-pocket version), this goes to the super-modern feel of the brand, taking your fob out is too 20th century. Using your phone with no key required will go with #12

14) Driver seat memory - included in whatever option package brings powered seats

15) One-touch power windows - one-touch-down will be standard at least for driver (is there any car that lacks it today?), one-touch-up either not available or in an option package. My guess is it sill be available, because it's enabled by the smart motors needed for sealing rimless windows, no extra cost to build.

16) Automatic rain sensing wipers - part of a package, and then only if required for EAP to work; I could be wrong on that -- if Tesla sees it as part of the "modern cars" category, this will be standard

17) LED headlamps - standard, no question, it's not worth the engineering & overhead to have a non-LED variant

I also think Tesla will go with the Japanese model of bundling all options into two or at most three option packages. I'd guess Upgraded Audio, and Premium (automation short of autopilot, powered stuff, plus upgraded materials), with either one bringing whatever internet-based features aren't standard

Nope. Absolutely, positively, without a shadow of a doubt, turn by turn navigation WILL be included in the $35,000 model.

Otherwise, as a shareholder, I will be very upset that they deemed the PR nightmare and the resources for AAA style mobile charging a better cash outlay than enabling a software feature that is relatively cheap, since they've already paid all of the money for R+D on it in the S and X;

Like the PR disaster that was the Model S for the first 4 years in production. Options like those are options, because everyone selects them, making good money for Tesla. They are, basically 100% profit. Which should make you as shareholder, very happy.

It will be the Model 3s tech package.

Reactions: ikjadoon
Like the PR disaster that was the Model S for the first 4 years in production. Options like those are options, because everyone selects them, making good money for Tesla. They are, basically 100% profit. Which should make you as shareholder, very happy.

This car is the first EV for most of its owners. The Leaf has Nav included, the base Bolt has Nav included.

I see you're not in the US, and you may be overestimating our drivers....but it's going to be included.

Turn-by-turn navigation won't be included.....

in a rollout where probably 80% of its owners will be 1st time EV owners.... and you're not going to tell them how to get to a Supercharger?

Boy, as an investor, I'm glad Elon is making decisions and not you.

You didn't get past #1 on your list without creating a potential PR bloodbath.
I could go either way on this. I think most of the model 3 competition has navigation as an option which is why I think it might be on the three as well. As for the super charger question, there isn't any reason they couldn't have that be a separate function all by itself that is standard. Of course then I guess you're getting turn-by-turn by default and just navigating from SC to SC ... hmmm maybe I just ruined my own argument.

This car is the first EV for most of its owners. The Leaf has Nav included, the base Bolt has Nav included.

I see you're not in the US, and you may be overestimating our drivers....but it's going to be included.

No I don't overestimate your drivers, I do think 99.99% will want navigation. And that's why they will be paying for it. As they did with the Model S for quite some time. And that is a good thing for Tesla because $$$$

We do expect several roofing options to be offered, but the question is how things get combined (the whole point, really, about this thread). Perhaps I'm extrapolating a bit too much, but with the discussion about the metal roof (Anyone think the metal roof will come painted black? - I think that was the thread?) it seems that for cost reasons, the default (i.e. lowest cost) roof could very well be the glass one, bow to stern. If so, I expect an option for an upgraded headliner would be unlikely, unless they call it a sun shade :). If the metal roof then becomes an upgrade, the headliner upgrade might get bundled in with it too.

Certainly too many combinations to choose at this point.

If that were the case, why is the all glass roof not the standard roof on the S?

If that were the case, why is the all glass roof not the standard roof on the S?
It's tied to the manufacturing process. I think the argument presented was that having a glass roof, an item that can be installed (glued into place) late in the manufacturing process, could be part of the designed-for-manufacturing aspect of the Model 3. The idea is that an open roof would give robots easier access to parts of the interior. The MS/X weren't so designed, so wouldn't benefit from such an arrangement. I'm not sure I agree with all this, but that was what was discussed.

My own counter argument is that if this were a primary design criteria, why not make the Model 3 a convertible, then put the top up before driving it off the assembly line? (Ok, half kidding here...) The point to this, in the context of this thread, is that the decisions for options vs standard equipment are both market-driven and design-driven, and they interact is ways we might find odd without knowing how they are made. Traditionally luxurious options (the headliner in this case) may be relegated to irrelevance by design decisions made for totally different and possibly obscure reasons.

Reactions: R.S
The conversation about turn by turn navigation is interesting. Folks are confusing what they want vs what Tesla might do. For starters, we've seen Tesla neuter functionality even when the hardware is present (ie MS 60kWh). So if Tesla chose to only let the navigation system take you to charging stations unless you paid for the full unlock, it would not surprise me. I won't like it and I probably would just use my phone, but they could easily do it. I don't mind paying for upgrades, and I am budgeting for some upgrades, but I really don't want to pay for obvious things like auto down windows. I also won't pay lots of money for simple conveniences like full navigation when I have reasonable alternatives. The only particularly unique upgrade is enhanced autopilot/autonomous driving which is very unique to Tesla, but they also charge you dearly for it (that option alone costs $5k to $8k which is 14% to 22% just for that option(s)). That's a significant percentage increase for one option... Aggregating because we already know the hardware is absolutely included even if you don't pay for that upgrade.

No I don't overestimate your drivers, I do think 99.99% will want navigation. And that's why they will be paying for it. As they did with the Model S for quite some time. And that is a good thing for Tesla because $$$$
Trip Planner/ The Super charger map are things that should be considered base options. GM is able to get away with not having nav in the Bolt because , according to @McRat, OnStar will give you turn by turn via voice. So you should always be able to find a charging station in a Bolt. Tesla doesn't have such a service therefore they will need something to compete.

Trip Planner/ The Super charger map are things that should be considered base options. GM is able to get away with not having nav in the Bolt because , according to @McRat, OnStar will give you turn by turn via voice. So you should always be able to find a charging station in a Bolt. Tesla doesn't have such a service therefore they will need something to compete.

Ok, let's do it again. This option will not be one people just don't select. Like navigation, or leather seats, in a BMW 3 series, close to all cars will have that option selected. But it will cost extra.

Tesla already did that with the Model S for quite some time. The tech package was something everyone selected, because it had all of the most basic features, so Tesla could keep a lower base price, while selling every car for at least 4k more than base price.

I am pretty sure they will do the same thing with the Model 3. There will be such an option. The contents of that option could be anything, as long as everyone selects that option. Navigation, LED headlamps and heated front seats just sounds better, than windshield, steering wheel and passenger side doors.

I am pretty sure they will do the same thing with the Model 3. There will be such an option. The contents of that option could be anything, as long as everyone selects that option. Navigation, LED headlamps and heated front seats just sounds better, than windshield, steering wheel and passenger side doors.

However, the whole point of having the Model S and X was to pay for the Model 3. So of course they made everyone check the box for some things that probably could have been standard. Just because Tesla decided this was the best strategy for the S and the X doesn't necessarily mean they'll do it on the 3. Especially for hardware options, they're trying to simplify the process. You're not going to see the million options BMW gives you to choose from on their 3 series with the model 3.

The reason other car brands do options this way because they're luxury, they're performance etc. I'm still not exactly sure how to classify the Tesla brand. Tesla is certainly not luxury like a Mercedes, but more towards the performance/tech segment of car brands, so probably closer to a BMW, but they also have way cooler/more futuristic tech, and industry leading safety designs.

The way they eventually market the 3 will be really interesting. It should make it more clear how Tesla sees their own brand image and wants people to perceive the brand.

The options really all depend on how Tesla wants to position the model 3 against its competitors. If they want to avoid the 3 looking inferior against other EVs in this price range (Leaf/Bolt), and are worried about Model 3 versus other EV comparisons, it'll have Nav standard. If they want to compete more with the Audi A4/BMW 3 series, it will probably be an option. If Tesla goes this route, I still expect most of the options to be software enabled vs. hardware. I'd imagine the margins are better with software and less hardware options makes the manufacturing process simpler.

However, the whole point of having the Model S and X was to pay for the Model 3. So of course they made everyone check the box for some things that probably could have been standard. Just because Tesla decided this was the best strategy for the S and the X doesn't necessarily mean they'll do it on the 3. Especially for hardware options, they're trying to simplify the process. You're not going to see the million options BMW gives you to choose from on their 3 series with the model 3.

The reason other car brands do options this way because they're luxury, they're performance etc. I'm still not exactly sure how to classify the Tesla brand. Tesla is certainly not luxury like a Mercedes, but more towards the performance/tech segment of car brands, so probably closer to a BMW, but they also have way cooler/more futuristic tech, and industry leading safety designs.

The way they eventually market the 3 will be really interesting. It should make it more clear how Tesla sees their own brand image and wants people to perceive the brand.

The options really all depend on how Tesla wants to position the model 3 against its competitors. If they want to avoid the 3 looking inferior against other EVs in this price range (Leaf/Bolt), and are worried about Model 3 versus other EV comparisons, it'll have Nav standard. If they want to compete more with the Audi A4/BMW 3 series, it will probably be an option. If Tesla goes this route, I still expect most of the options to be software enabled vs. hardware. I'd imagine the margins are better with software and less hardware options makes the manufacturing process simpler.

Well, the whole point of the Model 3 will be paying for the Model Y and the next generation Model 3. That is how building and designing cars works. And Tesla won't just start giving out free candy, just because.

There is keyless entry where you still have to press the fob and keyless entry where the fob only needs to be in the proximity of the door. I believe the keyless entry in this list is referring to the proximity version (I believe that was the option on the old S) so I think it's still an open question.
it will have it, it is a simple push of a button to add it to the cars software, why is this even a subject?

Elon said you will not be able to buy a better car for 35k dollars. There is no merit for this statement if the car comes without satnav for 35k dollars.

Reactions: ModelNforNerd
First number is the probability of standard equipment, second number is the probability of option.

1) Turn By turn Navigation 90%, 98% (no need in case of option to connect with Android Auto AND Apple Carplay)

2) Power Liftgate (Kind of obvious) 5%, 20% - not standard. Like for sure. It's a sedan.

3) Power Folding mirrors 40%, 70% (if M3 will have the same mirrors as S/X then probability is higher, if different, then lower)

4) Daytime Running lights 100% - not possible to sell cars without DRL in EU.

5) Internet Radio 20% 90% - Tesla has to think about bandwidth if they have a million vehicles on the roads. Though owners can pay few extra cents for connectivity. Possibly a 1-3 year free subscription as standard just to "try out".

6) 400 KwH/year supercharger credits - 90% 20% - likely free amount will be 300-400kWh, option to maybe have slightly more for free with bigger battery.

7) Parking sensors (The sensors are there bc of autopilot, activation may be an added cost) - 40% 100% - sensors will be there as option for sure, due to EAP requiring it. But will they be on every Model 3 (and activated) that is unsure. competitors do not have those as standard.

8) Web Browsing - 20% 90% - bandwidth again. Tesla has to limit it. Possibly a 1-3 year free subscription as standard just to "try out".

9a) Power front seats - 10% 90% - electric seats cost a lot of money. Competitors have manual seats as standard.
9b) Heated front seats - 30% 99% - heating pads cost little. Making twice as much of seats versions adds complexity. I would think they would be standard but I read some people complain they live in a hot place and never need them. At all. I reduced standard equipment probability from 50% to 30%. Optionally they will definitely be there. BMW 3-series has it as standard.

10) Homelink - 20% 90% - I think homelink right now is in a separate module on S/X. If so, they could definitely skip that. Extremely rare option in EU. If it is integrated to the main board, it adds no cost (less than 10€). No need to not have it.

11) Alcantara headliner - 5% 20% - mass market vehicles do not have those things in standard. Due to production simplicity opting that is also questionable.

12) Tesla App remote access to car (For preconditioning and monitoring) - 99% 100% - this is what EV-s almost always have.

13) Keyless entry - 50% 99% - under this we mean getting in without pushing a button on a fog. Probability that M3 will have keyless ignition is 99%. Those same sensors should be able to detect keyfob proximity next to drivers door. At least front door sensors I suspect should come standard.

14) Driver seat memory - 5% 90% - not possible to have memory with manual seats. And manuals are probable as standard.

15) One-touch power windows 80% 10% - German vehicle usually have all windows like that. It's simple if done properly. Having that at least for drivers window is 99%.

16) Automatic rain sensing wipers - 80% 20% - Very likely to be standard. Could be software driven (front cameras) could also be light sensor driven (this device would cost extra). For any AP level wipers must work on their own.

17) LED headlamps - 60% 99% - Under here I mean full LED headlights. Some headlights are only DRL LED, some are only low beam LED, some are full LED. Competitors actually do NOT have that as standard. I think there will be two headlight "trim levels".
PS: LED headlights have almost no effect on vehicles range/power savings. It's a myth Nissan started.

There are some things that are a mystery for me.
18) TACC - 40% 100% - radar costs a lot of money (up to 1000$). Having that on vehicles that do not opt for EAP is weird (aka not profitable). Though we kinda know that all Model 3-s will have EAP hardware. So ...

19) Dual zone climate control - 90% 95% - It is possible to make things more simple with one zone though it gets worse when there are two different versions. Competitors have mixed solutions.

20) Real leather seats - 0% 80% - Leather costs money. And many do not even want that. Like me. Maximum standard would be a mix of materials - areas that are more prone to wear made out of leather, and middle parts out of synthetic cloth.

21) Roof that will open - 10% 70% - Mechanism costs money, weights a lot. Not everybody wants that.

22) Rear parking camera 95% 100% - It will be required pretty soon in EU. So not possible to skip. I think it was next year.

23) Heated steering wheel 20% 80% - Very likely not to be standard though possible with either premium interior or cold weather package.

24) Electric steering column 20% 70% - This is luxury option. Not available on 3-series at all.

25) Adjustable rear airvents 30% 20% - Adjustable I mean temperature and air quantity. Option for that makes things complex. Likely either yes or no for all.

26) Heated rear seats 10% 40% - Rare thing. Slighly more popular in EVs (my Leaf has all around heated seats and steering wheel). Very likely not a standard option, though maybe cold weather package.

Out of all those I would only want parking sensors, heated front seats (cold climate), automatic wipers and the best headlight (due to hard weather and long nights).

The biggest thing that I will definitely miss are curtains (rear window, rear doors, roof). Most of my previous vehicles had those. Except Leaf. I hate tinting (less visibility in bad weather).

Last edited: