Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity cost $9.99/month for many Model 3 versions

Will you subscribe to premium connectivity?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To be fair, the old FAQ page did seem imply that you would receive more OTA software updates over cellular with premium connectivity. Web archive has a link as of October 2018, but I recall visiting that page around April 2019: Frequently Asked Questions - Connectivity

"Premium Connectivity adds satellite-view maps with live traffic visualization, in-car streaming music & media, an internet browser (for Model S and Model X) and over-the-air software updates via Wi-Fi and cellular."

FWIW that page appears to be from before Premium really existed as its own product- it even mentions they haven't finalized pricing yet- so it wouldn't surprise me if the current language was updated when they finalized the product before actually putting it up for sale and deciding it didn't include that after all.

So my streaming audio went away about six months after I bought my M3, December 2018. I signed up for "premium" just so I could get streaming audio last week. Tesla said I'd be connected as soon as the payment cleared (it's electronic so should have happened immediately. Still no streaming audio. What gives? My two Volts had XM; it was great. You'd think for the money, Tesla's would be just as good!

So my streaming audio went away about six months after I bought my M3, December 2018. I signed up for "premium" just so I could get streaming audio last week. Tesla said I'd be connected as soon as the payment cleared (it's electronic so should have happened immediately. Still no streaming audio. What gives? My two Volts had XM; it was great. You'd think for the money, Tesla's would be just as good!
It should have lasted one year; not six months. It still not working implies something had done sideways unrelated to the subscription itself and indeed any subscription paymants shoud hot have gone through until the trial period had expired.

Reactions: Watts_Up
My free year expired a couple of weeks ago. I give up. You win Tesla. I am buying a subscription. Takes too long to connect to my Iphone wifi after leaving the garage. Seems to search for a long time. Wifi on phone hotspot, music seldom restarts after ending a phone call. Have to wait until I stop, to fiddle with Spotify on my phone. No car screen display of Spotify using bluetooth, as an alternative. No Google Earth map view or live traffic visual from my unlimited mobile data.

Why would them adding a feature that can be used over premium connectivity cause you to cancel premium connectivity? o_O
Wait, why would you need Tesla's premium connectivity to use something a subscription for Apple Music? Wouldn't it just use your phone's data plan? I figured it would be the same as just using a Bluetooth like I do now to play Apple Music in the car, but that it would just show album covers and stuff on the screen.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Wait, why would you need Tesla's premium connectivity to use something a subscription for Apple Music? Wouldn't it just use your phone's data plan? I figured it would be the same as just using a Bluetooth like I do now to play Apple Music in the car, but that it would just show album covers and stuff on the screen.

No, it would be just like YouTube and Spotify, it would work fully independently from your phone. (You wouldn't even need a phone.)

Of course if you don't have premium connectivity you could tether your car to your phone via WiFi so they car had Internet access and could utilize the Apple Music app. (But currently you would have to connect your car to WiFi every time you shift into Drive.)

No, it would be just like YouTube and Spotify, it would work fully independently from your phone. (You wouldn't even need a phone.)

Of course if you don't have premium connectivity you could tether your car to your phone via WiFi so they car had Internet access and could utilize the Apple Music app. (But currently you would have to connect your car to WiFi every time you shift into Drive.)
Ah, I understand. Thanks.

• Funny
I notice the Model 3 website has very few mentions of "premium connectivity" - basically the internet connection that allows the car to display real-time traffic as well as stream music and use the unusable internet browser.

It was previously the case that the "premium" interior came with one year of premium connectivity (except for cars purchased prior to June 2018, which got lifetime), after which point $100/yr would be required to maintain the traffic and music streaming and browser.

With the introduction of the new standard and partial premium interiors, there is no mention of the connectivity-related premium interior features requiring subscription after one year. Previously it used to say "premium connectivity for one year." Now the website seems to use the connectivity features as major points of differentiation between Partial Premium and Premium interior options.

I'm wondering whether something has changed - is premium connectivity now permanent and free? Or am I going to have to pay $100 in July?
Weirdly, my SR+ March 2019 car got Premium Conn. for one year. I let it lapse. Living in Victoria, there is no traffic and my music comes from a 150GB tablet library. Then 2020.48.30 comes along and voila I have Premium connectivity, all features. The car is designated as premium in the vehicle attributes on screen. Maybe a Christmas present? With or without it, I love the beast.

Reactions: AdamMacDon
Let it lapse and haven't missed it. I'm just glad the satellite and traffic buttons are gone from the nav screen. Personally, I think it would be annoying if the buttons were still there and popped up with a "you need to have a subscription to use this service" message. Out of sight, out of mind.

I'm also very happy with how little impact losing premium connectivity is as long as a hotspot is something that can be leveraged. That said, I'll probably pay the $10 if I'm going on a road trip 'cause I'd rather not use too much data on my cellular plan.

• Funny
Weirdly, my SR+ March 2019 car got Premium Conn. for one year. I let it lapse. Living in Victoria, there is no traffic and my music comes from a 150GB tablet library. Then 2020.48.30 comes along and voila I have Premium connectivity, all features. The car is designated as premium in the vehicle attributes on screen. Maybe a Christmas present? With or without it, I love the beast.
A fellow Victorian! Clearly one who rarely commutes to Langford haha, although it is much better since they finished that overpass.

My friend just took delivery of a 2021 SR+ and instead of one month free connectivity he got a year. Nice perk!

Hi Adam. No commuting, I live in town, but generally ride a bike. My wife drives the M3, myself rarely.
Nice to hear about your friends new M3 in town the more the merrier. I believe a new SR+ still comes with Premium for one year. I checked mine again today and yes, I still have it no idea why.
I just got FSD and will be getting HW3 installed shortly, we are old and ready for the next step in letting go - the M3 will help us a lot.

• Funny
Reactions: Voltron_M3
I'm highly disappointed at Tesla, for not offering HotSpot Wi-Fi, that even lowly Fords have now. The premium connectivity is all but useless to us, since you can't use it while charging. Not even with our phones as HotSpots (not enough bandwidth, I guess). I don't plan to pay for that crap when it expires at the end of the year... unless Tesla incorporates HotSpot Wi-Fi on a future update. Somebody said the hardware is already there, but who knows.

I'm highly disappointed at Tesla, for not offering HotSpot Wi-Fi, that even lowly Fords have now. The premium connectivity is all but useless to us, since you can't use it while charging. Not even with our phones as HotSpots (not enough bandwidth, I guess). I don't plan to pay for that crap when it expires at the end of the year... unless Tesla incorporates HotSpot Wi-Fi on a future update. Somebody said the hardware is already there, but who knows.

Charging or not has no impact on your using the premium features- and using your cell as a hot spot works fine on my car too (though there's no need to for anything if you have premium connectivity unless you're trying to download a software update or something)

Further- I'm not sure what you think offering hotspotting FROM the car would actually give you if the basic cellular service TO the car isn't working correctly.

Sounds like you need to open a service ticket as neither thing you describe is how it's supposed to work.

• Funny
Reactions: Y@Trox