Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity cost $9.99/month for many Model 3 versions

Will you subscribe to premium connectivity?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Normally, when you buy a product, this particular piece of information would be in the sales agreement. For instance, you sign up with a new cell phone provider with a 1-year trial of a particular service, it will explicitly say that in the sales documentation. It doesn't really matter if something is "widely reported" legally.

Likewise, if it's not in the agreement that's free forever- you have no foundation to complain when it goes away, right?

I'd be pretty surprised if you weren't told during the order process it was only for 1 year (though it's entirely possibly you didn't bother to read everything during the process- but that's on you, not Tesla).

It certainly tells you that today when ordering- and numerous post-July 2018 buyers have said in this and other threads it said it when they ordered too- so it almost certainly said it when you ordered and you just didn't notice.

One would think you would have ordered by then if you had a reservation that early. Unless you were waiting for SR of course.
If I could’ve placed an order I would’ve. Unfortunately back in 2018 Tesla was giving people the ability to order, who were not early reservation holders, so out of frustration I canceled my order in June 2018. As of June I was still not invited to order.

• Funny
Reactions: ZappCatt
If I could’ve placed an order I would’ve. Unfortunately back in 2018 Tesla was giving people the ability to order, who were not early reservation holders, so out of frustration I canceled my order in June 2018. As of June I was still not invited to order.

Oh man. That’s awful. Sorry to hear. I remember that whatever their system was doing definitely wasn’t right because I didn’t reserve until feb 2018 and can’t remember when I was able to order but I ordered aug 7th of 2018

Reactions: C141medic
....I have an SR+ that I took delivery of on Sept 27, 2019. With the upgrade to v10.0, I received Caraoke, browser, streaming, etc. But I do not have traffic visualization or satellite view (I really only care about the former). Now that the option to purchase premium connectivity is available and I have signed up, I am wondering if I will magically get traffic on Jan 7 when Tesla starts taking money from me. If yes, why don't I see this now with my "trial"? If no, is this just some evil trick from Tesla to punish those of us who didn't want to pay +$10k for a second motor and a bigger battery in order to get the added creature comforts?....

If you didn't order your car, regardless of what version, prior to 7/1/18 then Tesla didn't care if you wanted to order a LR version or not. "Evil trick" "punish", give me a break.

Just to play devils advocate, there are zero car companies that give internet for free. (Audi/BMW are 20$ a month, Porsche is 11, Lexus has 3 different features for 8$ a month a piece, so up to 24$ a month) Not sure why it's a surprise. It was on the order page when you got your car.

And to add on, no other cars have OTA updates, especially free ones. Super reasonable, especially if hotspot functionality gets added(I wouldn't be surprised if that didn't add more cost tbh)

We have a BMW i3 and have never paid any subscription costs. I'll essentially be paying $10/month for live traffic information. I could care a less about satellite view, internet, and streaming.

It was always going to be a paid subscription. The trial was supposed to end awhile ago but obviously it took them longer then expected to build the back end for this service. I took a test drive in June 2018 of a long range and was told about the subscription service being around $100 a month.

So obviously that was supposed to be $100 a year..... Hahaha

You cancelled your order or your reservation? two completely different things and some people on here seem to use them interchangeably but it makes a difference.

Oh man. That’s awful. Sorry to hear. I remember that whatever their system was doing definitely wasn’t right because I didn’t reserve until feb 2018 and can’t remember when I was able to order but I ordered aug 7th of 2018

Early on Tesla explained how priority for ordering would go. Tesla gave employees first shot at ordering their cars as thank you for their contributions to the company. Then previous and current Telsa owners were next in line since their support early on helped them get to the point of being able to mass produce a Model 3, then reservation holders who were non-owners were next for waiting in line and early ones also were given the die-cast when they picked up their cars, then at some point it was opened to the public who hadn't reserved prior. Not sure what wasn't right about that but I thought it was pretty fair and liked that Tesla acknowledged and gave the priority to those that helped get them to that point.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ZappCatt and Sherlo
I have premium connectivity but never use satellite maps because imo it looks hideous and ruins the flow of the UI. I can clearly see I'm alone with this.

You’re definitely not alone. I absolutely cannot stand satellite view for road navigation purposes. Awesome for armchair exploring though. Spent countless hours on Google Earth when it came out.

I have premium connectivity but never use satellite maps because imo it looks hideous and ruins the flow of the UI. I can clearly see I'm alone with this.

I happen to love Satellite view and never look at the maps view. I like being able to see what buildings and scenery will look like before I get there and think it's a better visual cue. Even when I use Google Maps on my laptop I seldom use the maps view.