Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity cost $9.99/month for many Model 3 versions

Will you subscribe to premium connectivity?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good to know about Spotify, so what about TuneIn? Is a Teslafied TuneIn provided free of charge? What happens if I signin with a TuneIn paid or free account?

you are paying for connectivity, just like you pay for data on your phone. The applications are irrelevant, anything that needs to get data from the internet will require the $9.99/mth subscription.

To be honest, I’m not seeing how it’s worth it. For me, I can do everything I need media wise from my phone via bt. The maps and navigation stay the same, the only thing missing is the live traffic data. But the re-routing still works based off of traffic, so it’s just a loss in the visuals. No big deal to me.

To be honest, I’m not seeing how it’s worth it. For me, I can do everything I need media wise from my phone via bt. The maps and navigation stay the same, the only thing missing is the live traffic data. But the re-routing still works based off of traffic, so it’s just a loss in the visuals. No big deal to me.

The maps are not the same. If you don’t pay the subscription fee they will downgrade you to non-satellite maps. My friend has an SR with those maps and there is a huge difference.

The maps are not the same. If you don’t pay the subscription fee they will downgrade you to non-satellite maps. My friend has an SR with those maps and there is a huge difference.
There is obviously a visual difference, but it doesn't affect navigation. The sat view is nice to look at, but arguably less practical than the map view.

My phone has Spotify. I can play from my phone and BT to car.
Nav already automatically detours if traffic jam is worse than 15 min.
I never use the poor browser in the car. So painful to type anything. I just use my phone.

Why pay $10 per month?

What do you guys do in the car?

Spotify in car is slightly more usable than from a phone:
1. It always turn on consistently regardless your phone’s state (sometimes BT may not connect automatically, or Tesla may decide to play from your iTunes instead of Spotify if it is not active on your phone);
2. Shows more info/controls on screen (Playlist name, you can show all tracks and choose on screen);
3. You can leave other people in your car listening to your music while leaving with your phone )

A good friend purchased M3 Sept. 2018. I don't think she currently uses any of the features which require premium connectivity, though she might sometime in the future. I want to give her a friendly heads up as to what's going on, but I don't have an M3 yet (on list for MY) so I'd like to verify my understanding is correct before advising her.

Standard and Premium connectivity are both through the car's cellular connection (but can be temporarily thru wi-fi if one is available and selected). That cellular connection is standard and no charge on all Teslas as long as you own it. Someone like my friend who purchased after June 30 2018 has had free premium connectivity but will soon lose it unless they subscribe. If they have been using one or more features that need premium they will lose use of them in next month or so. Except for basic Navigate feature which has no charge and will continue indefinitely.

If I've got any of the above wrong I'd greatly appreciate anyones help to correct or clarify. Thanks!

There is obviously a visual difference, but it doesn't affect navigation. The sat view is nice to look at, but arguably less practical than the map view.

Agreed, but for me viewing the satellite maps on such a high resolution screen is so visually stunning that I’m willing to pay the $10 to keep them around. And I’m pretty frugal with those kinds of things.

Reactions: Joshan
A good friend purchased M3 Sept. 2018. I don't think she currently uses any of the features which require premium connectivity, though she might sometime in the future. I want to give her a friendly heads up as to what's going on, but I don't have an M3 yet (on list for MY) so I'd like to verify my understanding is correct before advising her.

Standard and Premium connectivity are both through the car's cellular connection (but can be temporarily thru wi-fi if one is available and selected). That cellular connection is standard and no charge on all Teslas as long as you own it. Someone like my friend who purchased after June 30 2018 has had free premium connectivity but will soon lose it unless they subscribe. If they have been using one or more features that need premium they will lose use of them in next month or so. Except for basic Navigate feature which has no charge and will continue indefinitely.

If I've got any of the above wrong I'd greatly appreciate anyones help to correct or clarify. Thanks!

Yes, that is correct.

I will also add, Standard Connectivity loses the ability to visualize traffic, but live traffic data is still taken into consideration during navigation.

Additionally, Standard Connectivity will typically only receive firmware updates via WiFi, unless Tesla deems the update to be critical. In that rare case, the firmware will download over LTE for both Standard and Premium Connectivity.

There's also some good information on this support page, particularly the FAQ bit toward the end: Connectivity

Agreed, but for me viewing the satellite maps on such a high resolution screen is so visually stunning that I’m willing to pay the $10 to keep them around. And I’m pretty frugal with those kinds of things.

OCR1, truly no disrespect, but you are willing to pay $10/mo because you like how the sat maps look on the screen... that’s gotta be one of the most opposite examples of frugal :p

• Funny
Reactions: C141medic
OCR1, truly no disrespect, but you are willing to pay $10/mo because you like how the sat maps look on the screen... that’s gotta be one of the most opposite examples of frugal :p

What can I say. When I look at the non-satellite maps I feel like I’m using a navigation system from the 1990s. I do like seeing the traffic visualization as well since traffic is such a big factor in Southern California. I knew when I purchased the car that I was going to have to pay after one year so I’ve been expecting it.

I’ll just eat a $2 slice of pizza for lunch at Costco twice a month to make up the difference. If things get really tight I’ll switch to the $1.50 hotdog and soda.

it is not just the maps. Not sure why that's all anyone is talking about.

Includes:

• Live Traffic Visualization
  • Satellite-View Maps
  • Video Streaming
  • Caraoke
  • Music Streaming
  • Internet Browser
Actually seem like a huge deal to me. Where else do you get that much LTE data for $10?

Reactions: Teedub21