Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity cost $9.99/month for many Model 3 versions

Will you subscribe to premium connectivity?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$120/year is a revenue stream. They are in fact increasing earnings by charging for the service. In prior years, the accounting and gross margin would factor in the free unlimited connectivity. Now it is not.
I don't see how $120/year for Premium Connectivity is a revenue stream. That is very close to the cost of such services from any of the major carriers -- MAYBE they can get it for $5/mo wholesale and make $50/year, maybe...

Who is the carrier? Unlikely to be Sprint (the cheapest) since their coverage is crap. Probably AT&T. Can't get LTE data from AT&T for $10/mo (certainly not and make a profit)...

Convenience = Not having to turn on, connect to and use hotspot every single time you want to use the hotspot
Ease Of Use = Interacting with the majority of a 15" screen and keyboard vs. a small phone screen and keyboard
State Laws . = It's illegal to use your phone in some states while driving
Sound Quality = Higher bitrate stations could sound better vs listening over bluetooth
Different Wireless Vender (AT&T in the US for Tesla) may = better coverage

I only agree with your first item. You don't need to use your handheld device once you're connected to the hotspot. For me, the effort of pressing a button on the top right of the screen is not a big deal at all.

Reactions: C141medic
I don't see how $120/year for Premium Connectivity is a revenue stream. That is very close to the cost of such services from any of the major carriers -- MAYBE they can get it for $5/mo wholesale and make $50/year, maybe...

Who is the carrier? Unlikely to be Sprint (the cheapest) since their coverage is crap. Probably AT&T. Can't get LTE data from AT&T for $10/mo (certainly not and make a profit)...

I don't think they are doing this to generate revenue.

I think they are doing this to cover the cost they were paying for each car.

This to me is a "savings" effort rather than a "revenue" effort.

Anyone notice this???

Standard Connectivity offers Bluetooth® pairing, FM radio, Sirius XM capability in North America (for XM-enabled and configured cars), playback from a USB drive and music and media streaming over Wi-Fi.

Are there Tesla Models that have Sirius XM in them?

yes but they have physical Sirius XM hardware in them and aren't model 3s.

Ok let me explain then. The Premium Connectivity was part of a car's cost of goods sold. So tesla was factoring it into the price of the car. Now that they are removing the feature from the price of the car, their gross margins will increase. Thus, it will improve profits.

Anyone notice this???

Standard Connectivity offers Bluetooth® pairing, FM radio, Sirius XM capability in North America (for XM-enabled and configured cars), playback from a USB drive and music and media streaming over Wi-Fi.

Are there Tesla Models that have Sirius XM in them? I would love for Tesla to add Sirius like they did for Spotify.

Yes, at least some older Model S cars have it, including my 2017 S100D. I can't recall but you needed to have specific hardware such as the panoramic roof and MCU1(?).

It may not be profit but it is revenue:
revenue: income, especially when of a company or organization and of a substantial nature.

I know how software works and it does not have to be intrusive. It can be no different than having a backup camera on screen or a browser window. With it I can use any software for music on screen and use Waze, not to mention Google Assistant. I drive most of the time with TeslaWaze which is less than ideal.

No, these apps do not interfere with anything with the Tesla system. It simply reads the cars speed and taps into the Bluetooth audio. it does not take over the entire car! Lol

Anytime I’ve used CarPlay it essentially takes over the entire screen with the functions you’re asking for.

This sentence is not gonna age well here in a second....

Autopilot and the infotainment functions run on completely separate hardware.

Infotainment runs on the MCU, which doesn't impact AP at all since it runs on its own independent computing system.

You can even reboot the MCU, while driving, and while running AP, and everything keeps working fine.

Now, both systems display info on the same big screen- but it'd be trivial for AA/CP to appear in a window on the right side of the UI far away from where any AP related info displays and not interfere with anything. AA/CP in a window (instead of taking up the whole screen) has been a thing for a couple of years now.

Obviously folks wouldn't be able to use Nav-on-AP if they choose to use CP/AA for maps instead of the built in system.... but that's just as true today if they choose to nav on their phone instead of the built-in nav.

Example of CarPlay functioning in a smaller window?

Talking about the hardware isn’t negating anything I said.

Are you even sure there is enough resources to run CarPlay that ensures the rest of the software runs smoothly and cohesively? When I say enough, I don’t just mean that literally I also mean it in a sense of having enough resources to continuously improve car software over time.

Last edited:
I only agree with your first item. You don't need to use your handheld device once you're connected to the hotspot. For me, the effort of pressing a button on the top right of the screen is not a big deal at all.

Thought so.

In fact, it is:

1. press on wi-fi symbol
2. press wi-fi settings
3.in the new window press on
4. press the x to close window
5. press wi-fi list so it will search networks and find your hot spot

plus on your phone (st least to make hot spot discoverable on my iPhone):

6. pree settings
7. scroll and get into the hot-spot window

EVERY SINGLE TIME AFTER YOU'VE PARKED AND THEN YOU WANT TO USE SPOTIFY

• Helpful
Reactions: Stach
Example of CarPlay functioning in a smaller window?

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/10036739/detroit_auto_show_2018_dodge_ram_5823.jpg

there's an example from a dodge truck.

Carplay using half the screen, bottom is still the "car" interface with a bunch of options for what you want displayed there.

IIRC the ability to only use "part" of the screen for carplay has been in at least some FCA vehicles since like 2017 or something? and is in a number of other cars now as well.

Talking about the hardware isn’t negating anything I said.

I mean- it is, since you kept mentioning resources and autopilot... but AP runs on its own computer not on the infotainment computer, so running something else on the infotainment system wouldn't impact AP at all resource-wise.

Are you even sure there is enough resources to run CarPlay that ensures the rest of the software runs smoothly and cohesively?

On MCU2 cars? (which are all Model 3s, and all S/X cars made in the last couple years) yes....pretty comfortably.

Might be an issue on MCU1 cars I guess-(mid 2016 and older)- but those are already losing out on new features going forward so nothing unexpected there.

Thought so.

In fact, it is:

1. press on wi-fi symbol
2. press wi-fi settings

6. pree settings

dang. so once connected to it does not automatically reconnect to your wifi from the phone every time you are in your car? it defaults back to cellular? super annoying if that's the case. i could get unlimited LTE data on my phone for +$15 (eligible for a 20% employer discount) which would be a better deal than +$10 just for the Tesla... however - connecting manually everytime you get back into the car will get old very quickly

Reactions: Stach and Ezri10
$9.90 is a bit steep for someone who only streams music and uses live-traffic ...

Not unlike buying EAP was ($5K) and only using TACC, but on a smaller, cheaper scale in comparison. But all manufacturers offer bundled feature packages, so it is what it is.

I saw splitting off AP (TACC/AutoSteer) from EAP and pushing the other features of EAP to FSD as kind of a necessity as most other cars were offering something like TACC as a standard. And AP then became standard on all Teslas. I just don't think breaking off features and offering them separately is really in Tesla's best interests not only in administrative account time to update the cars but also from a software update point of view in general.

Thought so.

In fact, it is:

1. press on wi-fi symbol
2. press wi-fi settings

6. pree settings

I say it's no big deal now but who knows maybe it'll become a pain in the ass, and I'll spring for the $10/mo premium. And who knows, maybe a later firmware update will automatically connect to available hotspots while driving.

Convenience = Not having to turn on, connect to and use hotspot every single time you want to use the hotspot
Ease Of Use = Interacting with the majority of a 15" screen and keyboard vs. a small phone screen and keyboard
State Laws . = It's illegal to use your phone in some states while driving
Sound Quality = Higher bitrate stations could sound better vs listening over bluetooth
Different Wireless Vender (AT&T in the US for Tesla) may = better coverage

It's definitely a "too each their own opinion" situation, and I'm not even sure which way I'm going to land yet, but those points are what is helping me to decide.

All good points.

When I was in Yosemite my T-Mobile Iphone had absolutely no coverage. But AT&T had at least some coverage there which allowed the Teslas to navigate around.

Relying on your phone for navigation in California can get you in trouble. The laws are a little sketchy around what is allowed and is not allowed, but just holding it in your hand and interacting with it can set you up for a ticket. I had a long conversation with a police officer about this a while back. Apparently just touching the screen once, as in to accept a traffic reroute, is allowed. But entering an address would not be allowed while driving.

All of this is avoided with the Tesla display screen as there are no laws preventing you from interacting with the built in display of your car while driving.

It showed up for me without subscribing.

Sorry to go to the well of the better informed again. In many parts of Vermont and other hilly rural areas, whatever mobile carrier you choose will have dead spots between towns. Best you can do is choose a carrier that has best possible coverage as well as decent prices and service. How do Tesla's handle this for maintaining the car's cellular connectivity? I would imagine Tesla has arrangements with all major mobile providers and switches from one to another as needed to optimize the signal and data speed. Sound right? My friend w M3 lives on a small mountain where cell reception is pretty weak. Is there a sub sub screen where status of cellular signal is displayed? How about an indicator showing if a wifi network has been linked and is active? I don't think she has connected to her home network yet. I would imagine the Tesla mobile app on her smart phone would not work (from inside house) with her car unless phone and car have both been linked to her home wifi network.

Sorry to go to the well of the better informed again. In many parts of Vermont and other hilly rural areas, whatever mobile carrier you choose will have dead spots between towns. Best you can do is choose a carrier that has best possible coverage as well as decent prices and service. How do Tesla's handle this for maintaining the car's cellular connectivity? I would imagine Tesla has arrangements with all major mobile providers and switches from one to another as needed to optimize the signal and data speed. Sound right? My friend w M3 lives on a small mountain where cell reception is pretty weak. Is there a sub sub screen where status of cellular signal is displayed? How about an indicator showing if a wifi network has been linked and is active? I don't think she has connected to her home network yet. I would imagine the Tesla mobile app on her smart phone would not work (from inside house) with her car unless phone and car have both been linked to her home wifi network.

Hah, I'm only informed because I spend way too much of my life on Tesla forums.

Tesla uses a SIM card from AT&T. Unfortunately, that SIM card is not capable of network switching. So if you have a phone or a friend with a phone with AT&T, you can get a pretty good sense of how Tesla's cellular data will perform in an area.

Cellular strength is displayed with an icon in the top-right corner of the screen (1 to 5 bars depending on strength). I have seen it go from LTE, to 4G, to 3G on weaker signals. You can tap on the LTE icon to set up WiFi networks, and when the car is connected to a WiFi network, the LTE icon is replaced with a WiFi icon that displays the WiFi signal strength.

The phone app works even when the vehicle and the phone have no cellular or wifi connection. The phone can connect to the car via Bluetooth only. And Premium Connectivity isn't required for any of the features for the phone app; it all works over Standard Connection.