Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity cost $9.99/month for many Model 3 versions

Will you subscribe to premium connectivity?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been aware since June 2018, that at some point Tesla was going to charge for Premium connectivity for anyone that ordered on/after July 1, 2018. The outrage related to this is amazing.... Yes I am grandfathered in, but my next one won't be, and I'm OK with that. I like the features premium connectivity provide and do plan to have it.

FYI, during my recent test drive (ordered 11/23, delivery 12/23) the sales guy did tell me that the 'premium connectivity' is currently free, but that it will cost $100/yr after the first year. He was a little off vs $10/month, but at least for new buyers the expectation to pay for this service is being set appropriately.
I'd imagine it could be 10$/mo or 100$/year... this was expected from the beginning 2016? which is one reason I considered getting a 3 early (free SC too...all not worth the price difference between a P- and + though)

Last edited:
What sales “process” are you referring to? Most of us just place and order online, give them a deposit and then wait for our cars to be ready.

My sales process was in relevant part comprised, in rough chronological order, of:
  • Extensive research both within and without of Tesla's web site
  • Arranging test drives of all three available models of trim
  • Discussing the differences in the feature set at length, including in particular the difference between Standard and Premium connectivity with my local salescreatures (and at this point was it not even intimated that the Premium Connectivity was impermenant other than suggesting that it might be possible in the future to add, at a cost of about $10/mo, Premium Connectivity to the Partial Premium trim level afforded by the SR+)

The online description of the interior states “one year included”. If people don’t read the description Tesla can’t do anything about it.

It says that now. It did not when I was making my purchase.

My sales process was in relevant part comprised, in rough chronological order, of:
  • Extensive research both within and without of Tesla's web site
  • Arranging test drives of all three available models of trim
  • Discussing the differences in the feature set at length, including in particular the difference between Standard and Premium connectivity with my local salescreatures (and at this point was it not even intimated that the Premium Connectivity was impermenant other than suggesting that it might be possible in the future to add, at a cost of about $10/mo, Premium Connectivity to the Partial Premium trim level afforded by the SR+)

It says that now. It did not when I was making my purchase.

Well, as I’ve said many times here, virtually everything a Tesla sales rep says is just flat out wrong. There’s not much any of us can do about that. It does appear the “one year included” was omitted for some period of time from the website for unknown reasons. But it seemed obvious enough to me that free cellular data for life on such a low margin car was probably unlikely. And a brief google search took me to the connectivity FAQ page on the Tesla web site where it was clearly spelled out that it was only included for one year after June 30th. I can’t blame people who did not find this since it did require a search. But if you did “extensive research” I think you likely should have found it.

It was also discussed abundantly in this forum going all the way back to last year.

Reactions: tren01t
oh man, just caught up to this stream after a few days of ignoring it.....so much whining going on, I'm really surprised. It was clearly stated when I purchased that this was a one year deal with connection included, after that they could charge. Everyone was delighted they seemed to "forget" to charge the early adopters when they came to their one year limit. So now they're charging, $120/year, what's the big deal? My Apple Watch phone number costs me like $10/mo plus tax, so it's actually more than Tesla (no tax for Tesla). Tesla includes the data in here and option for streaming audio, this is great.

The owners of the data networks don't give this stuff away for free, that's how they make money. The Tesla offer is very reasonable, and my expectation is the options will improve over time like everything else associated with this car. If people don't want to pay, then don't. I think it's a very reasonable price from Tesla.

For both Teslas that I have purchased there was always the expectation of eventually paying. Even back in 2015 they said "for now connectivity is free, but you will eventually be charged". They eventually threw that idea out and grandfathered those vehicles in to free for life, but they never told anyone it was free for life until they said "order before July 1st for free for life connectivity". It was always staged as "eventually, but we don't know when because we don't have the mechanisms in place to charge yet".

I would have liked to have bought my 3 slightly earlier so I didn't have to pay this, but I certainly knew it was eventually coming.

Has anyone who is not finished with their complimentary period gone in and signed up yet? My X will end its trial in June, and I'd rather just go in now and sign up so it's done and I don't forget in the summer, but I don't want Tesla billing me now rather than in June. Can anyone who's gone through the process with a significant free period remaining confirm whether the charge went through right away or still shows that billing would start when it should?

Has anyone who is not finished with their complimentary period gone in and signed up yet? My X will end its trial in June, and I'd rather just go in now and sign up so it's done and I don't forget in the summer, but I don't want Tesla billing me now rather than in June. Can anyone who's gone through the process with a significant free period remaining confirm whether the charge went through right away or still shows that billing would start when it should?

Here is the text of the email you get when you sign up:

Includes:

• Live Traffic Visualization
  • Satellite-View Maps
  • Video Streaming
  • Caraoke
  • Music Streaming
  • Internet Browser
Feature availability may vary by hardware configuration.

The complimentary period for Premium Connectivity expires on December 31, 2019. You will be auto-billed monthly starting January 1, 2020.

I see no charge and no pending charge on my CC website.

Have been driving around testing all the feature over the weekend. I concluded that I will opt out the Premium.
* I already have unlimited data plan from AT&T. Hotspot is the way to go for me
* Live traffic is not affective as Waze.
* Satellite view just a cosmetic feature. Nice to have but no practical purpose.
* Music streaming from my iPhone is very personal and affective.
* Enjoying Netflix, YouTube, Hulu while parking via Hotspot.
I will pay the same amount if I can Airplay or external connect my iPhone to the display.

Reactions: Big-T and AC2DC
Have been driving around testing all the feature over the weekend. I concluded that I will opt out the Premium.
* I already have unlimited data plan from AT&T. Hotspot is the way to go for me
* Live traffic is not affective as Waze.
* Satellite view just a cosmetic feature. Nice to have but no practical purpose.
* Music streaming from my iPhone is very personal and affective.
* Enjoying Netflix, YouTube, Hulu while parking via Hotspot.
I will pay the same amount if I can Airplay or external connect my iPhone to the display.
This is exactly my line of thought. Why pay Tesla $10/mo for data when you could have your own unlimited data device you could take anywhere instead?

Reactions: Big-T and AC2DC
Anyone notice this???

Standard Connectivity offers Bluetooth® pairing, FM radio, Sirius XM capability in North America (for XM-enabled and configured cars), playback from a USB drive and music and media streaming over Wi-Fi.

Are there Tesla Models that have Sirius XM in them? I would love for Tesla to add Sirius like they did for Spotify.

Also, are people losing Slacker radio if they don't go with Premium Connectivity or can it still be streamed over WIFI.

Came here to ask the same question. I’ve had my car since April and have never had satellite maps.
If you tap the map screen, a group of buttons are supposed to appear in the lower right of the screen to allow turning on satellite and traffic. For me, only the “show chargers” option appears.

I received an email that said I had complimentary premium for a month, but I do not have the maps option.
Maybe once we start paying the subscription the satellite
Maps will appear

This is exactly my line of thought. Why pay Tesla $10/mo for data when you could have your own unlimited data device you could take anywhere instead?

Convenience = Not having to turn on, connect to and use hotspot every single time you want to use the hotspot
Ease Of Use = Interacting with the majority of a 15" screen and keyboard vs. a small phone screen and keyboard
State Laws . = It's illegal to use your phone in some states while driving
Sound Quality = Higher bitrate stations could sound better vs listening over bluetooth
Different Wireless Vender (AT&T in the US for Tesla) may = better coverage

It's definitely a "too each their own opinion" situation, and I'm not even sure which way I'm going to land yet, but those points are what is helping me to decide.

Last edited: