Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity cost $9.99/month for many Model 3 versions

Will you subscribe to premium connectivity?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Response from Tesla support regarding Software Updates:
Thank you for contacting Tesla support. I am happy to assist. Updates will still be sent over Wi-Fi as it is still better for larger updates than LTE. The best practice is to stay connected to Wi-Fi overnight each night to maintain the updates accordingly.​

The friend I'm educating a bit on what her M3 can do did not buy FSD and I'm sure she doesn't use AutoPilot or know why she ought to give it a try. I'll make her aware that even if she never gives control to AP, a number of active safety features are helping keep her safe unless she turns them off. My very limited understanding is that AP is most often used by those who do, on multi lane highways.

Do those who like AP also use it on single lane roads (between towns) where speed limits are around 50 mph?

Tesla Vehicle Safety Report says driving and accident statistics collected show the Active Safety features greatly reduce chances of accidents. Miles driven with AP on show having it on is maybe 1.5 time safer than only A.S. What is AP doing that provides this additional level of safety? The only things that come to mind are: 1. keeps your car centered in lane than drivers normally can do when distracted.
2. It knows if a car is approaching from opposite direction moves too close or over the center lane. I think it will move car far enough to the right (if space is available) to avoid being sideswiped.

Are there any other significant ways besides reducing driver fatigue on long hauls? Again, looking to understand the things AP adds beyond the Active Safety features. Many thanks to any who can comment.

The friend I'm educating a bit on what her M3 can do did not buy FSD and I'm sure she doesn't use AutoPilot or know why she ought to give it a try. I'll make her aware that even if she never gives control to AP, a number of active safety features are helping keep her safe unless she turns them off. My very limited understanding is that AP is most often used by those who do, on multi lane highways.

AP is only intended for use on limited-access divided roads like highways.

You can turn it on elsewhere- but it's not intended to be used there and behavior may be unpredictable or downright dangerous, especially if a driver isn't fully paying attention as they should be at all times.

(search on all the "AP did something bad!" threads and they're like 99% cases where someone was using it someplace it's not meant to be used)

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
Will having HBO GO, HBO NOW, Comedy Central, Twitch, Monty Python, Mixer and Crunchyroll influence more people to pay the $10? - Credit to @greentheonly on twitter.

The funny thing is that Tesla will now have a financial incentive not to approve with the regulators video streaming while driving. Because of obviously this will substantially raise their cellular connectivity costs (what Tesla is actually paying to AT&T).

So Tesla is forcing me to interact with the screen while the vehicle is in Drive, every time I put it in Drive, if I don't want to pay $10/month to access the same features?

Nice dark pattern there Tesla.

Meh. I have to interact with the screen every time I drive anyway so I can turn off the ridiculously over-sensitive auto headlight setting. This won't be a huge deal for me. It's kind of a drag that I can't get Tasker to get my hotspot to turn on automatically though. Looks like it needs a rooted phone and I can't do that since I use my phone for work.

Meh. I have to interact with the screen every time I drive anyway so I can turn off the ridiculously over-sensitive auto headlight setting. This won't be a huge deal for me. It's kind of a drag that I can't get Tasker to get my hotspot to turn on automatically though. Looks like it needs a rooted phone and I can't do that since I use my phone for work.

You can use the signal stalk to turn off the auto high beams just like in most other vehicles. Unless you actually mean just the regular low beams and tail lights? Mine has only been a touch more sensitive than my Honda Crosstour which I had on the lowest sensitivity setting, perhaps the sensor (camera maybe) is dirty/obscured and triggering early.

Probably 99% of my drives currently don't require any interaction with the touchscreen while driving (unless raining/snowing and wipers aren't working great, but there's also a physical button to help out).

You can use the signal stalk to turn off the auto high beams...

I'm not referring to the high beams, although I don't use auto high beams either because I got sick of my car flashing its lights every time I drive past a street sign. I'm referring to the auto headlights feature, which the car defaults to every time I drive. It turns on my headlights in pretty much every light condition except the brightest, sunniest mornings, and sometimes it turns them on even then.

I was talking about the smartphone app that let's you precondition the car, set the charge level, lock/unlock, summon, etc. All of that is on the phone screen.

You're talking about the phone interface in the car. You're right it does phone calls and calendar, but it also does a general purpose audio connection via Bluetooth that works for Spotify on your phone, or MP3s. I'm not too fussed with not having Android auto, Tesla updates the firmware once or twice a month. I'm sure they'll eventually implement text messages and whatnot.

I could not care less about Spotify through my phone. I believe you can use a USB stick for MP3s. I care about important communications that I'm not legally allowed to do in the car by pressing buttons on the phone or even holding it up to my face so I can speak into it... which won't work when the audio is usurped by the Bluetooth car connection. Very frustrating as well to try to use Google voice to control the phone and it won't work because it is trying to tell you what is going on and you can't hear it because... the audio is usurped by the Bluetooth car connection.

You can't tell the car to connect or disconnect from the Bluetooth phone, you can't tell the car virtually anything other than "drive to" or "play" or... is there anything else the car's voice commands will do?

Tesla's suck in some ways because they are less like smart cars and more like cell phones with wheels... but they aren't even very good at being cell phones. Well, I guess those features are still beta...

• Disagree
Reactions: osseckiii
I could not care less about Spotify through my phone. I believe you can use a USB stick for MP3s. I care about important communications that I'm not legally allowed to do in the car by pressing buttons on the phone or even holding it up to my face so I can speak into it... which won't work when the audio is usurped by the Bluetooth car connection. Very frustrating as well to try to use Google voice to control the phone and it won't work because it is trying to tell you what is going on and you can't hear it because... the audio is usurped by the Bluetooth car connection.

You can't tell the car to connect or disconnect from the Bluetooth phone, you can't tell the car virtually anything other than "drive to" or "play" or... is there anything else the car's voice commands will do?

Tesla's suck in some ways because they are less like smart cars and more like cell phones with wheels... but they aren't even very good at being cell phones. Well, I guess those features are still beta...
Elon did tweet that text message reading was coming to V10 at some point in the future, though that doesn't help those that use Snapchat or Whatsapp or Messenger.

Question.... If I set up a hotspot with my phone or data enabled iPad and send data connectivity to the Tesla 3 , will I be able to use the premium features of premium connectivity without paying for them?

Everything except for traffic maps and satellite maps. (Streaming music, web browser, YouTube, etc.)

We don't know if Tesla will still provide a free Slacker account or not. My guess is not. So you could use streaming music, but only if you provide your own Slacker/Spotify account.

We don't know if Tesla will still provide a free Slacker account or not. My guess is not. So you could use streaming music, but only if you provide your own Slacker/Spotify account.

It's possible they drop the slacker account for people with Standard Connectivity. The Tesla blog on V10 implied that streaming music would be available over wifi only: Introducing Software Version 10.0

"To take advantage of the advanced media features in Software Version 10.0, we are also enabling browser access on all Model 3 Standard Range Plus and Standard Range vehicles. The update will also enable streaming media access to Spotify, TuneIn, and Slacker while connected to WiFi for these cars."

But I wouldn't be surprised if things have changed since then.

Sorry if this question has already been asked...it's a 43 page long thread, kind of hard to sift through it all...

The website makes no mention of whether the remote features available through the phone app require Premium connectivity. Do we know if we will be able to open the trunk or turn the climate controls on in my Model 3 if we don't have Premium? Both with or without wifi...I assume it will work if the car can reach a wifi signal, but what about if not?

The website makes no mention of whether the remote features available through the phone app require Premium connectivity. Do we know if we will be able to open the trunk or turn the climate controls on in my Model 3 if we don't have Premium? Both with or without wifi...I assume it will work if the car can reach a wifi signal, but what about if not?

It doesn't mention them because they have nothing to do with type of connectivity service you have- only the listed stuff is impacted.

Apollo Lake: Overview - Intel
Tesla Model 3: first look at new dual computing platform Tesla developed for Autopilot and MCU - Electrek
so we know they are using an Intel CPU, I am not 100% sure which one though. If I had a guess I would say Intel Atom E3930. We would need @verygreen or @wk057 to run top to let us know what the utilization is on the newer platform, but I suspect it isn’t high (like on Tegra).

CarPlay and Android Auto, mostly, are screen mirroring solutions. The overlay shouldn’t take much if any Intel CPU power.