Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity cost $9.99/month for many Model 3 versions

Will you subscribe to premium connectivity?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it would be h*ll of a lot more interesting if it would create a usable wifi hotspot... doesn't even have to be unlimited data, even just a couple/few GBs/mo would be enough.

It would cost a helluva lot more if it did that though.

Probably 2x more. (Based on the fact that seems to be what all the other car companies that sell you a "use your car as a hot spot" service charge)

Anybody stocked by this new announcement? Cars before 2018 will have streaming service for the life of the car. New owners will pay a fee after 1 year. I am going on my third Tesla and feel its a step back of the Tesla uniqueness. Now 2nd hand buyers will have more privileges that new owners, can't understand that. Its not a struggling company that needs those 10.00/mo.

I do hope so. It is kind of ironic that now that he is populating the orbit with satellites, Tesla believers and front line supporters are asking to pay for internet access. Just curious. I have being a Tesla owner since early 2013 and the announcement got me off-guard.

Don't you pay for internet access at your house? Your phone? Or is that all free too? Also Starlink requires a fixed satellite dish so its not going on your car anytime soon...or ever.

• Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Anybody stocked by this new announcement? Cars before 2018 will have streaming service for the life of the car. New owners will pay a fee after 1 year. I am going on my third Tesla and feel its a step back of the Tesla uniqueness. Now 2nd hand buyers will have more privileges that new owners, can't understand that. Its not a struggling company that needs those 10.00/mo.

Why should this be a surprise? Back in 2018, an announcement was made that all orders prior to xx date (July 1, if I recall), would receive free streaming for the life of the car. Any delivery after that date will have to start paying eventually.

Maybe I am not clear on this. Are we getting something extra with this or its just what we had before 2019? I know I pay for all those thing at my house, etc. But it was a unique thing of Tesla to offer all that free connectivity. People were always impressed and made the the tesla experience different.

The loyalty reward was for owners who purchased before July 2018.

Connectivity.

I bought my Model 3 in 2018 and had it until the other day. I ordered a new AWD and now I see the announcement. Hope it goes away. Tesla / Space X did pretty well all those years with offering free connectivity and is getting g better by the day. A little loyalty reward for new owners or owners of multiple Tesla's will be appreciated.
The days of “taking a loss” are over.

They can charge for it because you will pay for it.

It was given away previously as an incentive to buy. Not to be nice or build brand loyalty.

Anybody stocked by this new announcement?

Given it's not remotely a new announcement and was known over 2 years ago... no.

Cars before 2018 will have streaming service for the life of the car

No- cars ordered up through June 30th, 2018 do.

. New owners will pay a fee after 1 year.

Also not quite correct... SR and SR+ new owners only get 30 days free. Other models get 1 year free.

After that owners have the option to pay for continuing the service- it's not mandatory to pay if you don't want the added services.

You also have the option to use your phone (or any other such device) as a mobile wifi hotspot the car can connection to, and you'll retain nearly all the services you'd get by paying Tesla if you wish.

I am going on my third Tesla and feel its a step back of the Tesla uniqueness. Now 2nd hand buyers will have more privileges that new owners, can't understand that. Its not a struggling company that needs those 10.00/mo.

Not hard to understand- data costs the company money.

When each car was $100,000 and they only sold 100k a year they could eat that cost.

Now that they sell as cheap as $35,000 and they're selling half a million this year, and maybe a million next year- they have to pass that cost on to the customer.

Again this has been known since mid-2018 during the original ramp of the Model 3.

I bought my Model 3 in 2018 and had it until the other day. I ordered a new AWD and now I see the announcement. Hope it goes away. Tesla / Space X did pretty well all those years with offering free connectivity and is getting g better by the day. A little loyalty reward for new owners or owners of multiple Tesla's will be appreciated.

Its not "going away". You got free internet on your last model 3 for taking one of the first batches of them. I bought my Model 3 in december of 2018, and it was clear THEN that connectivity was "1 year free" so this "new announcement" you are talking about has been in place since 2018. Tesla couldnt figure out how to actually charge for it till 2019 sometime, but model 3s after 3rd quarter of 2018 were on the hook for paying for connectivity.

So, no, its not a "new announcement" its been in place since I bought my car (my MVPA says 1 year connectivity, from dec 2018).

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Does anyone else notice that ElectricIAC disagrees with posts that are factually correct? I don't think any members clicks "disagree" so much. And they only time they click "Agree" is when someone says "Gee, Tesla should give us everything for free!"

Very odd behavior. Except, according to their profile, it looks like they're a BMW salesperson or something.

Does anyone else notice that ElectricIAC disagrees with posts that are factually correct? I don't think any members clicks "disagree" so much. And they only time they click "Agree" is when someone says "Gee, Tesla should give us everything for free!"

Very odd behavior. Except, according to their profile, it looks like they're a BMW salesperson or something.
I’m allowed to disagree with that which I don’t agree with right or wrong. :)

Hard to defend a company that constantly breaks promises and you have wrestle with to get due compensation. Especially when compared to Early Tesla.

Don’t get me wrong: I love the hard product (which makes the sale) but the soft product is what keeps people coming back and Tesla of today has that totally wrong. They can do better.