Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Upgrades Package-About to Order!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I know auto pilot & pano roof were my only requirements; however, I've added the premium package to my build (got my VIN yesterday so excited moving forward)... the reasons for me were the cornering & fog lights as I felt this would improve the safety of driving in cases where those would be useful. I know I've found it risky driving mountain roads at night with traditional lights that don't corner.

I also tend to have allergies to everything so the HEPA filter in a vehicle was a pretty awesome addition too. I've never had a car with a power lift-gate so actually was less of a selling point from my end.

Have you reached out to Tesla financing directly? They might be able to give you a better estimate, but know the lease estimator was pretty close in the end to what I was approved for (applied early as was worried if I'd qualify while I still am paying off my VW TDI I will be selling back to VW ASAP)

I am working with an Alliant rep right now and applying today most likely because they stated they can keep the application open and their rate of the 1.49 for 72 months expires today.

I am going to take the plunge with the premium upgrade as well as I feel it completes the car nicely with the other options we are going for.

The Tesla website really needs to explain a little more what the options entail. There is very little description given

This.

Every car at the service center to look in had the premium upgrade package, making it difficult to figure out if it was worth it to me.

As far as I can tell:

Power gate: I'm +/- on this. Have it on our Acura and not on our G37. It seems like this is a big deal to a lot of people, but to me it's not of much consequence.
Fog lights / cornering lights: Sound nicer for sure, but not a big deal to me.
Alcantara dash accent: Strongly DISlike.
Air filter: I guess might be nice, but seems gimmicky to me.
Learned from this thread about some of the exterior chrome trim accents: Would like those, but not a must have.

My biggest concern is: what is the trim along the doors and lower portion of the dashboard? In all the PUP cars it seems to match the leather of the seats, although it's hard to tell if it's actual leather or a synthetic, particularly on the doors.

Is the steering wheel material the same?

Am I missing something else? Basically, if the material along the armrests/doors/lower dash is the same in non-PUP vs PUP, the package doesn't come close to $3k in value for my particular situation. They really need better descriptors and pictures on the website.

This.

Every car at the service center to look in had the premium upgrade package, making it difficult to figure out if it was worth it to me.

As far as I can tell:

Power gate: I'm +/- on this. Have it on our Acura and not on our G37. It seems like this is a big deal to a lot of people, but to me it's not of much consequence.
Fog lights / cornering lights: Sound nicer for sure, but not a big deal to me.
Alcantara dash accent: Strongly DISlike.
Air filter: I guess might be nice, but seems gimmicky to me.
Learned from this thread about some of the exterior chrome trim accents: Would like those, but not a must have.

My biggest concern is: what is the trim along the doors and lower portion of the dashboard? In all the PUP cars it seems to match the leather of the seats, although it's hard to tell if it's actual leather or a synthetic, particularly on the doors.

Is the steering wheel material the same?

Am I missing something else? Basically, if the material along the armrests/doors/lower dash is the same in non-PUP vs PUP, the package doesn't come close to $3k in value for my particular situation. They really need better descriptors and pictures on the website.

Chrome trim outside
Fog lights
Cornering lights
Active LED headlights
Power liftgate
Alcantara dash accent
HEPA filter and carbon filters with biohazard mode
Exterior door handle lights
Interior accent lights and extra lighting in the trunk
Leather trim on door and center console arm wrests, steering wheel, on the lower dash, and possibly elsewhere.
The leather trim is only included if you order leather seats though. I called Tesla specifically about this and they verified that if you don't order leather seats you don't get the leather trim.

I sat in cars with and without the PUP package and you can tell a difference.

Leather trim on door and center console arm wrests, steering wheel, on the lower dash, and possibly elsewhere.
The leather trim is only included if you order leather seats though. I called Tesla specifically about this and they verified that if you don't order leather seats you don't get the leather trim.

I sat in cars with and without the PUP package and you can tell a difference.

Thank you.

This for example is why I'm confused:

Model X Timeline - From Prototype to Production

This is a non-PUP model x - which you can see has center console, armrests and lower dash material that matches the leather. But obviously I'm hesitant to compare package details of S's vs X's.

I was not able to sit in a non-PUP model S, but there was one customer delivery on the lot, and looking through the windows I couldn't tell much difference vs the PUP as the interior was black, and the doors/center console matched aside from the missing alcantara dash liner, which in my opinion looks better without it.

I'm trying to reach out to Tesla sales.

Big difference in sitting in one versus one without.

I made this thread and I ended up getting the package as it definitely "completes" the car fit and finish if you will.

Sure it's a beautiful car without but man with all the leather and other options it just feels complete and a beautiful combo.

Well worth it for me after comparing with and without.

I am working with an Alliant rep right now and applying today most likely because they stated they can keep the application open and their rate of the 1.49 for 72 months expires today.

I am going to take the plunge with the premium upgrade as well as I feel it completes the car nicely with the other options we are going for.
Yes I had applied as well despite the delivery over 30 days away. But, locked in the 1.49%. The low rate has me thinking of putting less down then I had intended. Right now my plan is about 30k down to put the loan at 55k

Thank you.

This for example is why I'm confused:

Model X Timeline - From Prototype to Production

This is a non-PUP model x - which you can see has center console, armrests and lower dash material that matches the leather. But obviously I'm hesitant to compare package details of S's vs X's.

I was not able to sit in a non-PUP model S, but there was one customer delivery on the lot, and looking through the windows I couldn't tell much difference vs the PUP as the interior was black, and the doors/center console matched aside from the missing alcantara dash liner, which in my opinion looks better without it.

I'm trying to reach out to Tesla sales.
The non PUP trim on the doors and center console is not bad at all. It's the same material than is on the upper section of the door panel above the brushed aluminium trim. It's soft and lightly padded like the leather trim. I wanted the leather trim solely based on my experiences with the wear on the 2013 Model S that we have at work.

So I know auto pilot & pano roof were my only requirements; however, I've added the premium package to my build (got my VIN yesterday so excited moving forward)... the reasons for me were the cornering & fog lights as I felt this would improve the safety of driving in cases where those would be useful. I know I've found it risky driving mountain roads at night with traditional lights that don't corner.

I also tend to have allergies to everything so the HEPA filter in a vehicle was a pretty awesome addition too. I've never had a car with a power lift-gate so actually was less of a selling point from my end.

Have you reached out to Tesla financing directly? They might be able to give you a better estimate, but know the lease estimator was pretty close in the end to what I was approved for (applied early as was worried if I'd qualify while I still am paying off my VW TDI I will be selling back to VW ASAP)

You have the same config as what I'm looking at :)