Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preventive eMMC replacement on MCU1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow I just got a message from SC that they can fix my car (occasional black center screen, no blinkers) remotely! We're not having daily or even weekly issues but have had it act up a few times. Directed to contact SC by roadside assistance during the last episode about three weeks ago. Have not had an issue since.

Has anyone else had this addressed remotely?
That's the old, "get the customer to stop bothering us for another 30-days" ploy. It's in the manual as an official troubleshooting step.

The longer it goes on, the more customers they will lose when it comes time for that 2nd EV purchase....
agreed.. I'm in this same awful boat... 12/2016 75D with FSD Computer.... dealing with issues for over 6 months and they refuse to change the eMMC. I have 3 years worth of my Used Limited bumper to bumper warranty left and several failed service visits. I've started the Arbitration process.

In my mind, It's simple... they have an upgrade replacement component (MCU2) that resolves the issue. The reasonable time has passed for a fix (emmc replacement / software updates). Now that the MCU2 is 1500 and considering all the wasted time over the past 6 months ... Tesla would have came out ahead had they just replace my failing MCU1 with a MCU2... Friggin Tesla.. spending thousands trying to save pennies... It sucks for Tesla's bottom line to recall MCU1 and replace with MCU2.. but it's the right thing to do IMHO...They should have made MCU1 fixes a higher priority than MCU2 upgrades if they didn't want this scenario to play out potentially this way..
Does Tesla do the right thing??? HELL NO

agreed.. I'm in this same awful boat... 12/2016 75D with FSD Computer.... dealing with issues for over 6 months and they refuse to change the eMMC. I have 3 years worth of my Used Limited bumper to bumper warranty left and several failed service visits. I've started the Arbitration process.

In my mind, It's simple... they have an upgrade replacement component (MCU2) that resolves the issue. The reasonable time has passed for a fix (emmc replacement / software updates). Now that the MCU2 is 1500 and considering all the wasted time over the past 6 months ... Tesla would have came out ahead had they just replace my failing MCU1 with a MCU2... Friggin Tesla.. spending thousands trying to save pennies... It sucks for Tesla's bottom line to recall MCU1 and replace with MCU2.. but it's the right thing to do IMHO...They should have made MCU1 fixes a higher priority than MCU2 upgrades if they didn't want this scenario to play out potentially this way..
Does Tesla do the right thing??? HELL NO

Show me just one time that some auto manufacturer replaced a standard component with their upgraded component. If you had a car with a 4 cylinder engine and the cylinder head failed or cracked, you really think they owe you a V8 engine just because they make one? Keep us posted please. Its going to be entertaining to read.

Did you even read the post?
Yeah, did we come to different conclusions? We might be in disagree on the fact that Tesla is able to "fix" a known hardware defect by using software. My guess is that if anything, they hid the symptoms by break something else, like disabling the browser and/or USB media to free up memory.

But hey, I'm naturally distrustful.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
NHTSA asks Tesla to recall Model S and Model X over MCU fiasco - Electrek

"NHTSA has now officially asked Tesla to recall 158,000 Model S and Model X vehicles over the issue – a rare move as automakers will often opted to issue voluntary recalls. Now, Tesla has two weeks to issue a response or accept the recall.

The agency confirmed that it met with Tesla over the issue and evaluated all the information, but it determined that losing capacity of the MCU is a safety issue since a lot of important functions go through the system like windshield defogging, audible chimes, and even turn signals can be impacted.

NHTSA notes that other automakers have issued recalls for similar loss of functions.The agency noted that the updates that Tesla released to mitigate the issue are “procedurally and substantively insufficient” and that the automaker even confirmed that all the MCUs will eventually fail."

So that explains the detailed email I got today.

"If your vehicle is operating software release 2020.48.12 or newer and the eMMC malfunctions, then the rearview backup camera will remain available, the exterior turn signal lighting will remain functional, and the windshield defogging and defrosting controls will automatically default to a preset cabin temperature to ensure windshield visibility. If your vehicle is operating software older than 2020.48.12 and the eMMC malfunctions, then you may lose these functionalities. Please ensure that your vehicle is operating software release 2020.48.12 or a newer release."

So in typical Tesla fashion, let's put the onus on the owners instead of making a meaningful and resilient fix. Does anyone find it counterintuitive to require owners with a dodgy eMMC to put it through yet another cycle? I'll get the chip and wait it out until a newer version of the MCU is released and the "old" MCU2 is discounted or offered as replacement during the next government mandated recall. I steadfastly refuse to pay for a known defective system just because I had faith as an early adopter. For a CEO who professes to have altruistic goals for mankind, he's behaving like just another skinflint executive that has a "let them eat cake" attitude until the government intervenes to force him to do right by the owners.

So that explains the detailed email I got today.

"If your vehicle is operating software release 2020.48.12 or newer and the eMMC malfunctions, then the rearview backup camera will remain available, the exterior turn signal lighting will remain functional, and the windshield defogging and defrosting controls will automatically default to a preset cabin temperature to ensure windshield visibility. If your vehicle is operating software older than 2020.48.12 and the eMMC malfunctions, then you may lose these functionalities. Please ensure that your vehicle is operating software release 2020.48.12 or a newer release."

So in typical Tesla fashion, let's put the onus on the owners instead of making a meaningful and resilient fix. Does anyone find it counterintuitive to require owners with a dodgy eMMC to put it through yet another cycle? I'll get the chip and wait it out until a newer version of the MCU is released and the "old" MCU2 is discounted or offered as replacement during the next government mandated recall. I steadfastly refuse to pay for a known defective system just because I had faith as an early adopter. For a CEO who professes to have altruistic goals for mankind, he's behaving like just another skinflint executive that has a "let them eat cake" attitude until the government intervenes to force him to do right by the owners.

I'm not sure you understand what is happening. 2020.48.12 includes updates that makes the failure of the eMMC less of a safety issue, but they are issuing a recall, slated to start on 3/31, where they will replace all of the 8GB eMMC chips with new 64GB eMMC for free that resolves the problem of the chip wearing out in just a few years. (They have also made other software changes to make the chips last longer.)

I'm not sure you understand what is happening. 2020.48.12 includes updates that makes the failure of the eMMC less of a safety issue, but they are issuing a recall, slated to start on 3/31, where they will replace all of the 8GB eMMC chips with new 64GB eMMC for free that resolves the problem of the chip wearing out in just a few years. (They have also made other software changes to make the chips last longer.)
Sure I understand. What part is unclear to you?

Any way to see if my 2013 P85+ has the 64GB vice the 8GB eMMC? Did a VIN check and it says my car isn’t covered under the recall.

Any way to see if my 2013 P85+ has the 64GB vice the 8GB eMMC? Did a VIN check and it says my car isn’t covered under the recall.

Unless you had the daughtercard, or MCU, replaced since mid-July, 2020 you have an 8GB eMMC.

The recall doesn't start for another ~2 months, until March 30th, so the database probably hasn't been fully populated yet.

Reactions: Akikiki
I think @MP3Mike is correct. And I think those of us that either didn't get the email or our cars are not on the VIN check database, is because we don't need (qualify) for the 64 GB eMMC replacement. Meaning we either already have it or we upgraded to MCU2.
My friend and I neither got the email or are in the database. We both have MCU2 now, so we believe the original 158,000 and now down to 134,000+ cars is a difference of 64 GB eMMC replaced or MCU2 upgraded cars.

Just be patient. Someone will sort this out and explain it so it makes more sense. Nothing really to be gained by worrying about these details for a while.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I think @MP3Mike is correct. And I think those of us that either didn't get the email or our cars are not on the VIN check database, is because we don't need (qualify) for the 64 GB eMMC replacement. Meaning we either already have it or we upgraded to MCU2.
My friend and I neither got the email or are in the database. We both have MCU2 now, so we believe the original 158,000 and now down to 134,000+ cars is a difference of 64 GB eMMC replaced or MCU2 upgraded cars.

Just be patient. Someone will sort this out and explain it so it makes more sense. Nothing really to be gained by worrying about these details for a while.

this is false..I did not received email from Tesla....my VIN is not populated on Tesla recall page... still on MCU1 w old emmc

Cleo, Thanks for your help in labeling me with a M.O. That’s nice of you. But you show up late to the eMMC threads and read one or two posts and make up your mind. Good to know.

I am giving you the benefit of the doubt and presuming you are smart enough to know that my comment about entertaining was to scarelli and somewhat of a dare that he’s not going to get a free MCU2 upgrade. Keep ME informed. Maybe you don’t. Who knows? It was not a canvas statement that I am entertained and I do not find it amusing that anyone is having MCU problems.

My MCU1 problems are behind me now because I upgraded. I didn’t earn a medal for it; just lucky it was finally available. I lived with my share of MCU1 problems.

I’ve been around long enough to know as a consumer why recalls exists. Those consumer products that often entail an upgraded component? That’s what the 64 GB eMMC daughterboard is. Its an improvement over the original design. But MCU2 is upgrade. The intent of the replacement product is to make someone/some product whole. The improved replacement product would be nice and hopefully exceed the life or specs of the original. The improved 64 GB board still makes the consumer whole again. In this case the MCU2 upgrade would be a windfall far exceeding the intent of the design for those cars and offered as an paid for option. Maybe you didn't know that?

I paid for mine. But I sincerely hope Tesla simply gives remaining MCU1 car owner the MCU2 upgrade for free. I don’t think its owed to anyone. We knowingly bought these cars when we did. We were ignorant of the poor design. We took a chance as early adopters. If all early adopters had waited until some time after March 2018 when MCU2 cars were produced, we would all have avoided this problem. Of course, had we waited there would likely be no early adopters because the company would have folded long before 2018. So, Uncle Elon, if you are reading this, give everyone a free MCU2 upgrade and all of you thank Cleo for the idea.

Unless you had the daughtercard, or MCU, replaced since mid-July, 2020 you have an 8GB eMMC.

The recall doesn't start for another ~2 months, until March 30th, so the database probably hasn't been fully populated yet.

It would also depend if he has the car since new. We work with some used independent Tesla sellers that put a much upgraded chip in

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike

Interesting. I didn’t get the email either. I need to go check my vins.

It has been shown before that Tesla now knows remotely which eMMC chip you have. Chips replaced by 3rd parties are detected unless using exact same Micron 64GB chip that Tesla uses.

It's likely they are not offering the replacement, if you already have it fixed. Even if it was done by 3rd party.