Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Proactive Contactor Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We had more than 165 rated miles remaining, and we checked app and they were able to charge up the main pattery to 90% at the SC before they called us to tell us about the contactors needing to be updated.

And how were they able to do that if the contactors failed? The contactors must engage during charging. I'd be interested to see if they write anything on the invoice. Or if you can find anything out by talking to your service advisor.

And how were they able to do that if the contactors failed? The contactors must engage during charging. I'd be interested to see if they write anything on the invoice. Or if you can find anything out by talking to your service advisor.

I don't know if the contactors have actually failed. It's possible the SC saw something that concerned them or they just want to be proactive by updating and replacing them. The warning/error message said 12v failure. And of course we won't know if the main pack holds the charge until tomorrow or early next week.

I don't know if the contactors have actually failed. It's possible the SC saw something that concerned them or they just want to be proactive by updating and replacing them. The warning/error message said 12v failure. And of course we won't know if the main pack holds the charge until tomorrow or early next week.

Update: SC says that loaner pack is being installed and contactors are being replaced, and the main HV pack is going in for repairs (presumably this is Fremont) with no definite timetable for its return. That doesn't sound too promising but they couldn't give me any information on what repairs may or may not need to be done to the HV pack.

FWIW, additional data point. Had my 24k service last week (see below for VIN and build), and my pack did not ​fall into the VIN range for contactor repair/replacement.

I had mine in for the 24k service about a month ago and they didn't change the contactors, then about two weeks ago I got the email from a different service center asking me to schedule the appointment to have them replaced (I'm having it done mid Feb). My vin is 9805 so for what its worth don't be surprised to still get the call that you need to have them replaced. I get the feeling this is a slowly expanding list.

I had mine in for the 24k service about a month ago and they didn't change the contactors, then about two weeks ago I got the email from a different service center asking me to schedule the appointment to have them replaced (I'm having it done mid Feb). My vin is 9805 so for what its worth don't be surprised to still get the call that you need to have them replaced. I get the feeling this is a slowly expanding list.

...great...but I did get a new drive unit...:)

my vin did not fall into the proactive contactor replacement but i got a pull over safely message the day there were coming to pick the car up to put a new master charger in (had the slave done a few months ago too) and they replaced my contractor.. said the car was reporting it potentially had signs of wear.

This ad is running....local company so word gets around.

"Gigavac: the leader in designing, developing, and manufacturing Hermetically Sealed Compact Switching Technology, seeks a talented Electrical Engineer to join our Engineering Team and meet the needs of a rapidly growing company. You will join a team to design advanced Power Control devices capable of carrying and switching over a Mega Watt of DC current in a product the size of an apple. These electro-mechanical devices are a critical component of the Electric Vehicle, Solar and Wind Generation, Power Storage, and Fuel Cell markets. Our customers include Tesla, Samsung, Mercedes, Space-X, Navistar/International, Lockheed, Zero Motorcycles, Solaris, and hundreds more."

I stopped by my service center a couple of weeks ago with an unrelated question, but we discussed the contactors and I was told my pack wasn't on the list, yet mine is a Sig. So maybe there was more than one contactor supplier, or maybe they just wear out at different rates, depending on your driving habits, total number of contactor closures etc. I don't drive my Sig daily and tend to leave the car unplugged since my J1772 is usually hooked up to the Leaf, so about the only contactor closures in the garage are when the 12V calls for a top-off charge. I also don't do that many full power accelerations since the 19's and the soft Sig suspension don't handle that much power well. Could be that the early P's got a contactor with a higher duty rating?

I stopped by my service center a couple of weeks ago with an unrelated question, but we discussed the contactors and I was told my pack wasn't on the list, yet mine is a Sig. So maybe there was more than one contactor supplier, or maybe they just wear out at different rates, depending on your driving habits, total number of contactor closures etc. I don't drive my Sig daily and tend to leave the car unplugged since my J1772 is usually hooked up to the Leaf, so about the only contactor closures in the garage are when the 12V calls for a top-off charge. I also don't do that many full power accelerations since the 19's and the soft Sig suspension don't handle that much power well. Could be that the early P's got a contactor with a higher duty rating?

For what it is worth here is what the service paper work says about it:

"Concern: As part of providing peace of mind and a great ownership experience, Tesla
vehicles are equipped with telematics systems to provide remote diagnostics support. We
have been notified this vehicle has been remotely diagnosed that the Power Switch and
Power Supply would benefit from the latest generation components."

Vin 77xx. 54000 miles since April 2013. My car went in for an annual service (3rd) and tire rotation. 90% charge 227, range charge 254. Got a message that they have an outstanding work order to replace the battery contactor. Will only get my car back late Friday afternoon. They came to pick up my car 25 miles away with 226 miles. Noted on my ap that it was in neutral and miles draining fast. This evening it was parked with 70 miles. On reading this thread I guess they were draining the battery below the magic 30 %. This is the first I have heard of it and the car was performing fine. My feeling is that I sent it in for a maintenance service. Let them do what they need to do. I have a B battery.

I was in last month for a cracked windshield. While there they told be about the battery pack and swapped it with a loaner. I asked about it and was told the early packs were not really amenable to SC service and it will be send back to the factory. Expect 3 months or so. Only the contactors are being updated, the batteries won't be touched. Got P/N 1038596-01-B. Obviously mine was an "A" pack (Vin 96 delivered Sept 2012). Never thought to write down the orig part number. I do notice on this weeks trip I can get close to 120kW out of the supercharger and made the actual 150 miles in 30 mins. Could never do that before of course, never saw higher than 85kW and not for long. I was in for annual maint last Sept so this notice is after that, wonder why this is relatively new, or maybe just delayed due to timing/parts?

I asked about it and was told the early packs were not really amenable to SC service and it will be send back to the factory.

My A-pack contactors were replaced locally at the Service Center, but it did come in after failing and they did have to keep it for a week waiting for an "expert" to come and do the work. I suppose they could have given me a loaner pack, but they gave me a whole loaner car instead.