Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problems adding new 72A charger to existing order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is basically what I was told my by salesman as well. I placed an order under the old price last Saturday which is finalized today. My sales rep said if I make any changes to my order during the 1st week, then I'm obligated to pay $1500 under the new price scheme. Since you are after your 1st week, the $500 change fee also applies. It does suck that they won't just let you spend the $1500 more for just the charger upgrade, I assume they still make money off that, but at least they are sending the same message to all their customers. I was also going to select the 72amp charger, but I'm not going to pay $3000 or even $2000 for it. I'll rarely if ever need it.

My sales rep said if I make any changes to my order during the 1st week, then I'm obligated to pay $1500 under the new price scheme. Since you are after your 1st week, the $500 change fee also applies.

Actually, you could've made several changes in the first week without incurring the $1500 price increase. That would only be charged if you added new options that weren't previously available. Changing other options, such as color or to a different existing dash insert would not have caused the new prices to take effect.

I have the original dual chargers that lets you charge @ 80amps on a HPWC. In the one year since owning my car, I've never been in a situation that having this option could or has helped. Typically when I get home after a long trip, I am not going anywhere else for the night. Full charge in 4hours versus 8hours for me adds no real world benefit, even on ToD electric rates.

Save your money for something else, like some mods from evannex.com, or new wheels.

I'm sorry to hear about your frustration and I completely sympathize since I'm in the exact same situation. My Model S was in the queue and I had ordered and paid for the dual charger. In fact, it was already sitting at the showroom waiting for me. When the upgrades became known to me I immediately talked to one of the salesman (my DS was swamped with other customers) and he made it clear it would cost me $3500 to add the 72-amp upgrade. I was really disappointed I wouldn't have the 80-amp charging capability and the new max of 72-amps was salt in the wound.

It was at that point I was forced to re-evaluate what I wanted for my MS. If 80-amp charging was the single most important option then there were plenty of new MS's on the lot that would allow me to add the dual charger. But I wouldn't have the customization that I desired. If the fast(er) charging of 72-amps was critical then the additional $3500 represented just a 3.5% bump in price -- annoying but nothing to lose sleep over. But I wasn't certain I needed the fast(er) charging, I was just being conservative.

In the end I decided to cancel the order for the dual charger (which Tesla already refunded back to my credit card), and accept my new, upgraded MS with the 48-amp charger. Hey, I'm getting $1500 worth of updates for free. I've got a 48-amp charger, restyled nose cone (which I like), and a center console. I'm happy. Can't wait for delivery.

Reactions: Big-Al
It looks like my earlier post about this being upgradable after delivery was true...check out the bottom of this image from the current design studio!
upload_2016-5-1_18-16-2.png

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike and newtman
I ordered my P90DL on 3/29 which was confirmed on 4/6. I purchased all options except the rear facing seats and spoiler. Excited about my purchase the day after my order I purchased the dual charger (among other items) since I travel to locations where there are destination chargers but not superchargers or Level 2 or 3 chargers.

Yesterday, I received an email stating that I would get the new nose cone and HEPA air filter as part of the premium interior and lighting at no extra charge. However, I was confused about the new high amperage charger option. I called corporate sales to ask how the new charger would work with the dual charger and they told me that it was incompatible. Hmmmm.

They proceeded to tell me that I needed to call the service center where I purchased the dual charger and have them send it back and get the $2,000 credited back to my credit card.

BUT if I wanted to change my order to the high amperage charger I would have to pay the $500 change fee plus the $1,500 high amperage option AND change to the new base pricing schedule which is an additional $1,500.

I'm OK with paying the $500 change fee and the $1,500 option because that gets me square. But another $1,500?

What do you guys (and ladies) think I should do?
First of all, Tesla has broken your implied contract and needs to make you whole. Your purchase of the car was dependent upon the availablity of the dual charger. So you can rightfully demand that Tesla cancel your entire order and refund your money, *including* the deposit.

(Similarly, anyone who specifically wanted the "purse slot" or the old nosecone would be well within their rights to cancel their order and demand a complete refund including the deposit.)

At that point, you could place a new order; you would have to pay for the $1500 on the new pricing schedule and the $1500 high amperage option, but you would NOT pay for a "change fee".

When you look at this as the alternative, the minimum Tesla could do is to waive the change fee. Anything else is treating you worse than a customer who *didn't* make a deposit.

With the new information that the 72 amp charger is available as an after-delivery upgrade for $1900, of course, that seems like the correct choice.