Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problems with Auto Lane change in 32.12.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also had an issue with my car not wanting to move over within a reasonable amount of time (5 seconds) after signaling. My fix was to invoke "Mad Max" mode. Yesterday on a drive up and back to San Francisco on Highway 85 and I-280 in NoA mode I noticed that auto lane change was practically non-responsive. Lanes were definitely clear beside and behind but the car seemed like it didn't want to change lanes. I have had the Speed Based Lane Changes on Mild up to now and never had a problem (i.e., long delay) between signaling and the car moving over. I'm going to keep it on Mad Max for now.

• Informative
Reactions: CharleyBC
My EAP model 3 with V9 was reaching perfection. NOA in Mad Max worked ~98% flawlessly. It would e.g. perfectly merge and cross 3 lanes of traffic to take another freeway. It would do it at 70 MPH and in stop and go traffic. Once I had learned how/when to use it, the automation was a dream come true. I stopped panicking about blind spots altogether. I was a very satisfied user. Of course I added FSD. I couldn't fathom "NOA is not worth using" posts.

After 12.1 then 12.2 the NOA became unusable. Yes, more "mature" in some ways. But often blinking forever and not changing lanes. Blinking and trying, but repeatedly backing off. Nearly sideswiping a vehicle. Failing to take a familiar freeway branch and heading for the divider instead. Useless.

And I had lost all interest in freeway driving in manual. My car had suddenly become an expensive boat anchor.

Finally, after 3 weeks of calls and messaging and chats and uploading my videos, I got some attention. A drive with a tech demonstrated a gross malfunction. The display was showing wavy proximity warning lines on both sides I'd never noticed. You can see them on @texasranger's video. YMMV but my system was seeing ghost neighboring objects, and the tech said that's why it was failing to complete lane changes. My car is currently being diagnosed and serviced.

Last edited:
Add me to the list of people with 2019.32.12.2 where auto lane change (manually initiated) seems to work fine.

My early 2018 RWD with AP+FSD seems to see the open lane and go for it consistently.

My EAP model 3 with V9 was reaching perfection. NOA in Mad Max worked ~98% flawlessly. It would e.g. perfectly merge and cross 3 lanes of traffic to take another freeway. It would do it at 70 MPH and in stop and go traffic. Once I had learned how/when to use it, the automation was a dream come true. I stopped panicking about blind spots altogether. I was a very satisfied user. Of course I added FSD. I couldn't fathom "NOA is not worth using" posts.

After 12.1 then 12.2 the NOA became unusable. Yes, more "mature" in some ways. But often blinking forever and not changing lanes. Blinking and trying, but repeatedly backing off. Nearly sideswiping a vehicle. Failing to take a familiar freeway branch and heading for the divider instead. Useless.

And I had lost all interest in freeway driving in manual. My car had suddenly become an expensive boat anchor.

Finally, after 3 weeks of calls and messaging and chats and uploading my videos, I got some attention. A drive with a tech demonstrated a gross malfunction. The display was showing wavy proximity warning lines on both sides I'd never noticed. You can see them on @texasranger's video. YMMV but my system was seeing ghost neighboring objects, and the tech said that's why it was failing to complete lane changes. My car is currently being diagnosed and serviced.

I also noticed this recently, and the proximity lines would appear but only very briefly. I haven’t washed my car in a while and ALC was been especially bad after my last track day this past weekend, so I wonder if washing the car will help..

FWIW my car is clean, and I wipe down all cameras and sensors "pre-flight" at the start of the day.

It appears this problem does not apply to everyone, nor all of the time. At times V10 (12.1 and 12.2) has seemed better than V9, with e.g. good AP/TACC lead car following.

I hope to find out more and FYI will post whatever the SC tells me. I have asked them to check if the "ghost neighbors" NOA malfunction might be intermittently either showing unreal obstacles, OR hiding actual objects, at other times. That would fully explain my car's behavior(s).

Last edited:
Occasionally auto lane change in auto pilot (not navigate in auto pilot) would either not change lanes or start and abort the lane change repeatedly but rarely. Now under V10 32.12.2, auto lane change in autopilot is virtually unusable. Perhaps now it works 60% of the time, but increasingly I look like an idiot behind the wheel and have to take over the lane change manually. There may be no cars anywhere close to me and this behavior happens.

Anyone else experienced much worse performance with auto lane change on V10?

Yes, same version (2019.32.12.2) in a Model 3. Was on a 4-hour road trip and tried auto lane change 8 times. I think it worked twice - had to stop using it. Very disappointed in this step backward.

Occasionally auto lane change in auto pilot (not navigate in auto pilot) would either not change lanes or start and abort the lane change repeatedly but rarely. Now under V10 32.12.2, auto lane change in autopilot is virtually unusable. Perhaps now it works 60% of the time, but increasingly I look like an idiot behind the wheel and have to take over the lane change manually. There may be no cars anywhere close to me and this behavior happens.

FWIW my car is clean, and I wipe down all cameras and sensors "pre-flight" at the start of the day.

It appears this problem does not apply to everyone, nor all of the time. At times V10 (12.1 and 12.2) has seemed better than V9, with e.g. good AP/TACC lead car following.

I hope to find out more and FYI will post whatever the SC tells me. I have asked them to check if the "ghost neighbors" NOA malfunction might be intermittently either showing unreal obstacles, OR hiding actual objects, at other times. That would fully explain my car's behavior(s).

My FSD is also completely broken, when 32.12.2 was first released it was working almost perfectly, then about a week or so ago it started to not complete some of the auto lane changes snd it's been downhill ever since.

On the way to work this morning it could not complete a single auto lane change, it either starts and aborts the lane change multiple times repeatedly or it does not even attempt to change lanes (it does show the ghost image on the display).

I also noticed that it is showing the wavy proximity warning lines on both sides intermittently when trying (and failing miserably) to change lanes or when it's just driving without any FSD,
I'm hoping the next update will fix the problem.

The display was showing wavy proximity warning lines on both sides I'd never noticed. You can see them on @texasranger's video. YMMV but my system was seeing ghost neighboring objects, and the tech said that's why it was failing to complete lane changes.

I've got a pretty strong hunch I am seeing this too. I've been noticing the "obstacle notification" in the back left on freeway driving sometimes triggering non-stop for several minutes when there is nothing there. During roughly the same period I have had a big jump in aborted lane changes (for no apparent reason). Just a couple of days ago I put two and two together and realized that changes to the right have been fine, it's only changes to the left that have been aborting. I need to check all the sensors are clean this weekend and then it might be a trip with a tech too :( Did you schedule a mobile service or something at a service center?

Edit for clarity: I'm talking about NOA with notification only set.

I've got a pretty strong hunch I am seeing this too. ... I need to check all the sensors are clean this weekend and then it might be a trip with a tech too :( Did you schedule a mobile service or something at a service center?

My local SC has had my car for two days. I think this is a complex issue, with Engineering involved. Unlikely that Mobile Service would help you. I'd defer using NOA and wait until we all know more.

• Informative
Reactions: HappyWino
Even AP without NOA has issues doing auto lane changes, from my experience in the last week or so.

Makes sense. Ghost neighbors there too ;-)

I'm still waiting to hear on my Model 3,
that says a lot right there. But they're on it.

Sit tight, enjoy driving your Beast in manual.
I'm sure they'll figure it out for all of us.

My loaner Model S has no auto nuthin' ;-)
Comfy car, but I really miss the automation.
I wouldn't dream of buying a Tesla without it.

Last edited:
After not having to drive my car for the last couple of weeks, I finally took it out on a drive up to SF and used NoA most of the way. This was on Highway 85 and I280 North, if it really makes any difference (I would say not after making one adjustment). I attempted to use the Auto Lane Change function and was immediately concerned. 70mph, in the fast lane, right blinker on, absolutely no traffic behind or adjacent and no movement after at least 10 seconds. So I manually moved over (cancelling AS). Tried auto lane change a couple of more times and the same thing; the car would not move over in what I would consider a reasonable amount of time. So I dove into the menus. Changed Speed Based Lane Changes from "Mild" to "Mad Max". That did it. Now, after about 3-5 seconds, the car moved over.
I don't think that's all of the issue, I can see the ultrasonic sensors making phantom detections, which can cause auto lane change to swerve.

@RayK this is NOT the issue. I drive in MadMax mode 100% of the time. Now, we can't exclude the possibility that your CHANGING this setting changed something else, but during the test drive my Tesla tech pointed at the phantom proximity warning wavies and said "that's why it can't change lanes".

My car's automation, in popular lingo, went from "awesome" to "absolute junk", sometime after the 2019.32.12.1 update.

Considering other side effects of this problem, if your car is getting stuck in a lane and just blinking, I would strongly advise not using any type of assisted lane change until the issues are cleared up.

@Fernand Any luck at the SC with info? Been 3 or 4 days right?

Side Note: I seem to get fewer aborts when I inflate my tires to the recommended 42psi. When it gets colder and they drop to 37-38 I seem to get more aborts. I’m not sure if there is a correlation there but I’ll ask others to try if able.

@RayK this is NOT the issue. I drive in MadMax mode 100% of the time. Now, we can't exclude the possibility that your CHANGING this setting changed something else, but during the test drive my Tesla tech pointed at the phantom proximity warning wavies and said "that's why it can't change lanes".

My car's automation, in popular lingo, went from "awesome" to "absolute junk", sometime after the 2019.32.12.1 update.

Considering other side effects of this problem, if your car is getting stuck in a lane and just blinking, I would strongly advise not using any type of assisted lane change until the issues are cleared up.
Well I tested ALC several more times yesterday (before I even noticed you gave me a Disagree on my earlier post) as I drove on Highway 87 and I-880 and each time the lane change occurred within 5 seconds of putting the turn signal on. No hesitation, no indecision, just a smooth transition to the adjacent lane. And if it makes any difference, I was running 2019.32.12.2 when I reported about my "fix". I did not have any chance to use my car with 32.11.1 or 32.12.1 as I was out of state on vacation.

I'll go out tomorrow and set the mode back to Mild and see what happens. AFAIK, I did not get (see) any of the phantom "wavies" on my display. Several times when I made the auto lane change yesterday I did so just after passing a vehicle in the lane beside me. The car did not object to the request and smoothly moved in front of the other car (about 4-5 car lengths away).

I posted my experience with changing to Mad Max mode in order to see if others could be helped with my change. I'm sorry that it does not seem to help your issues, but I would never think to hit your post with a Disagree.

I'm sorry, the disagree was not at all dislike or disrespect, I'll take it off if you want and if I can. It's just that I didn't agree that the MadMax setting explained or solved the problem for those who have it, since I was seeing it in MadMax mode. But as I said, it's possible that changing it did something additional on your car. Look forward to your test results.

It appears that if you don't have proximity phantom "wavies", you don't get the lane-change block.

It looks like those of us who have it are in the minority, and thank heaven for that, but it's clearly not just one person's failed sensor(s), as I thought at first.

I just got a message from Tesla about my car, that their engineers are "looking at the logs", and it's been a few days. "Interesting". I'm counting on them to solve it for all of the affected vehicles.

Last edited: