Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Project Highland (Investor impact etc.)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The rumor that that Highland will not be available in the US market till next year leads me to believe Tesla would like for Juniper and Highland to debut together or closer time frame. Maybe with a big debut show. Even the Highland debut in China was short on answers to certain questions.
Traditionally, that is not a good way for an OEM to release products, but then again nothing with Tesla is traditional.

I'm not sure that the Highland taillights as shown would be legal in the US. The brake/turn/hazard lights can't be on a moveable body part in the US. Some cars get around this by moving the brake/turn signals to somewhere else when the trunk is opened. So maybe they will move down to what is normally just reflectors in the lower bumper cover? We'll have to see.

I'm not sure that the Highland taillights as shown would be legal in the US. The brake/turn/hazard lights can't be on a moveable body part in the US. Some cars get around this by moving the brake/turn signals to somewhere else when the trunk is opened. So maybe they will move down to what is normally just reflectors in the lower bumper cover? We'll have to see.

Forget which video covered this, but the Highland has two additional red lights near the bottom of the bumper as you describe.

Edit: Explained in My Tesla Weekend video below, seems Carwow's video showed them briefly but didn't talk about them.

Last edited:
I think the lower top speed is TIRE RATING related, and not motor related.
  • Why not motor related?
  • If the motors aren't capable of more than 200 kph, Tesla won't necessarily spend $ on higher speed tires, so top speed would be simultaneously motor and tire limited.
  • If your hypothesis is that they reduced the top speed of SR and LR to accommodate a specific tire choice: How do you then explain the disappearance of the P?

• Why not motor related?
  • If the motors aren't capable of more than 200 kph, Tesla won't necessarily spend $ on higher speed tires, so top speed would be simultaneously motor and tire limited.
  • If your hypothesis is that they reduced the top speed of SR and LR to accommodate a specific tire choice: How do you then explain the disappearance of the P?
May not be a new Performance. May be Plaid.

• Helpful
Reactions: Optimeer
The rumor that that Highland will not be available in the US market till next year leads me to believe Tesla would like for Juniper and Highland to debut together or closer time frame. Maybe with a big debut show. Even the Highland debut in China was short on answers to certain questions.

50 % of the car parts have changed and this means there are a lot of changes to the facility. It is a lot easier to upgrade first Shanghai and then Fremont than both facilities at the same time. This way they only need to make the mistakes in one facility and can iterate for the 2nd facility. Also Chinese engineers and facility worker can now assist in fremont, which eases the upgrade and the ramp. Another aspect is that Fremont is much more space constrained, this means that the planning needs to be better to keep the shutdowntime low.

Such a facility upgrade is extremely intensive and is a difficult and also a business critical endeavor and there will be probably many optimizations introduced during the next weeks and months. When everything is running well, the team will move to Juniper and start the planning of the upgrade. Of course some activites for Juniper have already started but most have probably not. So my rough guess is that Juniper will be introduced in about a year.

Elon, while extremely demanding, tries not to overload the team with too many tasks at the same time.

Reactions: petit_bateau
2nd video from Carwow now out:

TLDW:

- You should watch.
- Steering wheel button haptic feedback is good, makes it "feel like a [physical] button".
- It is noticeably quieter, wind and road noise reduced. Noticed early on by him and passenger, also recorded as a few dB lower,
- It is more comfortable, you feel bumps less. Less vibration over bumpy road surface.
- Drive still feels "sporty", sharp handling.
- The bass from the sound system is "intense".
- 4.57 miles per kwH on his test drive = "pretty bloomin' good". Much better than the German EVs he has driven recently. Calculated as ~81% of claimed range.
- Slightly prefers rear seats compared to before, but leg position not ideal for him.
- Ride comfort and noise better in the rear than before. Now "up there with the Germans".
- You should go right ahead and buy the new Model 3. ;)

Last edited:
Juniper and highland will have been designed at the same time, probably down to the factory design.
Juniper will come quickly but that still means a year out most likely as a minimum.

Especially if the Model 3 Highland might use front and rear casting like the Model Y and thus could share the same assembly line.

But does the Model 3 Highland finaly has a front and a rear casting? Nobody seems to mention it.

• Helpful
Reactions: Buckminster
Juniper and highland will have been designed at the same time, probably down to the factory design. Juniper will come quickly but that still means a year out most likely as a minimum.
Not actually sure it would take a year.

Most of the work is done, if you consider that 3 and Y pre Highland share headlights, taillights, almost all HVAC and interior pieces, which is mostly what Highland and Juniper are about.

With the Highland intro, the economy of scale for said parts is going away. The proverbial money furnace is roaring every hour that passes with doubled up parts sets. Therefore I believe Tesla is in a mad scramble to finish Juniper too.

Not actually sure it would take a year.

Most of the work is done, if you consider that 3 and Y pre Highland share headlights, taillights, almost all HVAC and interior pieces, which is mostly what Highland and Juniper are about.

With the Highland intro, the economy of scale for said parts is going away. The proverbial money furnace is roaring every hour that passes with doubled up parts sets. Therefore I believe Tesla is in a mad scramble to finish Juniper too.
Doesn't Model Y already have hardware 4?