Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just saw another thread about this a few days ago. Haven’t checked yet.

You specifically mentioned the driver’s (left) side. I would have thought it just as likely there’d be the symmetrical issue on the right side. Or am I missing something?
This was examined and I don't remember the full explanation but something with the way the screws are tightened makes the drivers side too tight and rub, while the passenger side is the opposite and the gap is a little too big. Worth a look anyway tho.

Just checked mine. 8/18 build. Drivers side is closer than the passenger. Can only slide 2 papers between the panels on the drivers side...But they aren’t contacting and have zero rust.

FWIW if you already have rust developing in that area, the tape is going to trap moisture and make it worse.

Agreed. Putting something back there (e.g. tape) will only help to preserve existing paint before it rubs away. Once it's gone and you get rust, all bets are off. Either way, I'm of the opinion that the panel must be adjusted to ensure that the gap is there as intended.

Since my original post, I have scheduled an appointment to do exactly that.

I just saw another thread about this a few days ago. Haven’t checked yet.

You specifically mentioned the driver’s (left) side. I would have thought it just as likely there’d be the symmetrical issue on the right side. Or am I missing something?
Hard to say whether you are missing something or not. It's on the driver's side and is consistent with the original article. Check both sides regardless.

BTW, I checked another M3 that was manufactured about 3 months after mine (near the end of '18) and it did not exhibit that problem

12/31/2018 build, VIN 186xxx
ueNCYdO.jpg

Last edited:
I checked my new SR+ last night and found the fender touching the A pillar. I used a wood paint stirrer to pry it away slightly and slipped a cut flat rubber faucet washer in the gap. I removed the paint stirrer and the fender holds the washer tight and there is now a 1/8" gap. The washer is not visible behind the fender. Passenger side had plenty of gap already.

Both of my model 3's were touching here. Latest one june 2019 build, previous one aug 2018 build. I had service adjust the june one when they fixed other delivery defects, which looks like they probably just pulling it out by hand a little bit like I did on the other car. I wonder why they have been producing the car with this issue for at least over a year rather than tweak during assembly...

• Informative
Reactions: Johnii__82
This was examined and I don't remember the full explanation but something with the way the screws are tightened makes the drivers side too tight and rub, while the passenger side is the opposite and the gap is a little too big. Worth a look anyway tho.
Hmm. Interesting. So, driver's side = left side in the US, but not in the UK, NZ, etc. In those countries, does this problem stay on the left, or switch over to their driver's side? That is, is the asymmetry of its occurrence somehow related to the RHD or LHD?

Hmm. Interesting. So, driver's side = left side in the US, but not in the UK, NZ, etc. In those countries, does this problem stay on the left, or switch over to their driver's side? That is, is the asymmetry of its occurrence somehow related to the RHD or LHD?
It's more likely related to the way the bolts are tightened during assembly. Since they are likely to use the same bolts on both sides (rather than switching to a left-hand thread on one side), the torsion forces go in different directions when tightening.

Reactions: CharleyBC
It's more likely related to the way the bolts are tightened during assembly. Since they are likely to use the same bolts on both sides (rather than switching to a left-hand thread on one side), the torsion forces go in different directions when tightening.
I disagree. It is a design flaw. If it was misaligned due to bolt tightening, the fender would not line up with the door. But it does. Also at this point, the drivers side window bright work that ends just above this overhangs both the fender and the door. The whole car is misaligned here due to a design flaw that will persist until they actually change the design, not just the assembly.

I disagree. It is a design flaw. If it was misaligned due to bolt tightening, the fender would not line up with the door. But it does. Also at this point, the drivers side window bright work that ends just above this overhangs both the fender and the door. The whole car is misaligned here due to a design flaw that will persist until they actually change the design, not just the assembly.
Doesn't explain why it touches on some cars but not on others. I don't disagree that there is probably design flaw involved, but it's probably that they didn't take the effect of bolt tightening into account.

It looks like bare metal is exposed on my driver side.

I scheduled an appointment through the app only to have them cancel it and tell me to visit a body shop.

Emailed them with a pic and no response 1 day later. Probably have to make a call and see what they say.

I'd hate to have to fight them on this. Seems like such a small issue that can lead to bigger problems down the road.

I just want it touched up or something so it doesn't rust. But it would be rather infuriating if they deny responsibility.

Attachments

• IMG_20191001_174951~2.jpg
    IMG_20191001_174951~2.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 141