Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[PSA] Do not tilt your front seats fully forward...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I broke my passenger side vanity mirror about 2 weeks into ownership... I was trying to maximise the space inside the car for an ikea trip! Gutted, but I got over it pretty quickly! Not sure if I'll bother getting it replaced.

Unfortunately my original PSA did not extend to family members. My daughter cracked the mirror (passenger side) whilst 'experimenting' with the seat movement.

Will try and catch Edinburgh SC on a good day.

20220222_104026.jpg

We had a complete replacement of the front passenger sun visor. I was after a 99p (literally) piece plastic part that the sun visor clips/unclips to which allows it to be swing to cover the door. We found that it had broken and I approached Tesla to see if I could get the part from a service centre and for me to fit, a 30 second job. After being told that they could send it to me, but it would cost £7 to post, or I could do a 30 mile round trip and pick up at Heathrow, I texted my local service centre so see if they could get it (I had just opened a service job for something else) for me to breeze past another time.

To my surprise, they tagged it on to the mobile visit but instead of bringing me the 99p plastic part for me to fit, they bought a whole new front passenger sunvisor/vanity mirror assembly which, even though everything apart from the 99p plastic part that fitted to the head lining was absolutely fine. I thought that they were just going to swap the plastic part over but no, a whole new unit was fitted.

All done under warranty too. I have no idea how the sun visor part got broken, but I guess that as the car had literally just come back from service after breakdown recovery, or these plastic parts are a known issue for breaking (not that I have heard it happening in UK), they replaced with no questions asked - possibly a bit of guilt on part of service. The mobile service was to resolve a few other issues that were not there before the recovery/service.

Anyhow, long story short, if your plastic clip is broken, raise a service request. You may just get a whole new unit under warranty.

We had a complete replacement of the front passenger sun visor. I was after a 99p (literally) piece plastic part that the sun visor clips/unclips to which allows it to be swing to cover the door.

Just for general community info.

That clip doesn't exist anymore on the 2021 model M3 onwards and MY. It's now a magnet. I'm guessing that's the reason they changed the design.

Mine is magnetic and not a clip.

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
Unfortunately my original PSA did not extend to family members. My daughter cracked the mirror (passenger side) whilst 'experimenting' with the seat movement.

Will try and catch Edinburgh SC on a good day.

View attachment 772455
This is a known issue if the seat is moved all the way forward without first leaning the seat backwards ... which people are not likely to spot before it's too late. It came up when we were discussing fitting plastic grills under the seats to stop lost items from dropping into the vents. The seats needed to be moved forward for access and the problem was duly discovered!

This is a known issue if the seat is moved all the way forward without first leaning the seat backwards ... which people are not likely to spot before it's too late. It came up when we were discussing fitting plastic grills under the seats to stop lost items from dropping into the vents. The seats needed to be moved forward for access and the problem was duly discovered!
I'm well aware. See post #1 ;)

Reactions: Adopado
Are the grilles still a thing? Not head if that before
Have a look deep under the front seats for the open venting. I don't know if it's changed but it used to be possible for small items e.g. dropped sweets to roll in and drop down ... doomed to be rattling around until the end of time due to being inaccessible without taking the car apart... that was the fear anyway!