Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[PSA] Do not tilt your front seats fully forward...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Medved_77

TM3 SR+ | MSM+Black | No FSD
Jan 20, 2020
Scotland
If the headrest makes contact with the sun visor, it's likely to crack the mirror within.

Wanted to start a new thread to raise awareness.

Unfortunately @Durzel and @JimboM both succumbed to this over the weekend, along with many of our friends over the pond in previous reports around the interweb.

Image courtesy of @Durzel (hope you don't mind)

2020-10-11 13_12_21-Photos.png

It’s a shame that this frequently occurring accident cannot be prevented by Tesla, who, of course, have no way to track the seat position in both the front seats. Even if they don’t want to restrict the range of movement, they could generate a warning when the seat is close to the extreme position.

You know that the CAN bus (or something else) reports the seat position, correct?

It's how the memory seats, mirrors, steering wheels, etc. know where they are relative to a user profile . . . .

Elon: This should be a real easy fix. Please put an intern on this and I'd bet they'll have it solved by next week. Thanks!

I was fitting the grills you can buy, ironically to stop stuff going down the holes. An £8 purchase is going to turn into a ~£150 one.

And yes - it’s stupid. The seat rails are fixed, the visors, windscreen, etc is fixed, therefore it should be possible for the seat to prevent damage by limiting the forward and/or upward motion of the seat when it would make contact etc.

As said above, the car knows where the seats are because it moves them itself when you switch profiles (plus easy entry, etc)

I posted a PSA on the UK Facebook group and a lady said that she did the same but that MK service centre replaced it for free once she demo’d how it happened. They agreed it should not be possible. I have a feeling the response will be service centre specific, but hey ho.

I was fitting the grills you can buy, ironically to stop stuff going down the holes. An £8 purchase is going to turn into a ~£150 one.

And yes - it’s stupid. The seat rails are fixed, the visors, windscreen, etc is fixed, therefore it should be possible for the seat to prevent damage by limiting the forward and/or upward motion of the seat when it would make contact etc.

As said above, the car knows where the seats are because it moves them itself when you switch profiles (plus easy entry, etc)

I posted a PSA on the UK Facebook group and a lady said that she did the same but that MK service centre replaced it for free once she demo’d how it happened. They agreed it should not be possible. I have a feeling the response will be service centre specific, but hey ho.
What/where are these covers, aftermarket presumably?

Wow, thanks for the heads up and sorry to hear to the guys that this has happened to. :(
I wasn't going to order these at first but at the thought of them being a 'cheap' investment opted to, even though the mats I got cover it. With kids and their creative imagination I've got a pair on order. I'm glad I came across this as I no doubtingly would have done the same.

I'm surprised this hasn't been addressed by Tesla tbh, sloppy.

If the headrest makes contact with the sun visor, it's likely to crack the mirror within.

Wanted to start a new thread to raise awareness.

Unfortunately @Durzel and @JimboM both succumbed to this over the weekend, along with many of our friends over the pond in previous reports around the interweb.

Image courtesy of @Durzel (hope you don't mind)

View attachment 597410
So would this be avoided by folding the visor up before moving the seat?

At least on the driver's side I'm struggling to think of a circumstance where tilting the seat back forward would be something I would want/need to do ... but it's helpful to be warned of the risks just in case!

At least on the driver's side I'm struggling to think of a circumstance where tilting the seat back forward would be something I would want/need to do ... but it's helpful to be warned of the risks just in case!

My, you really are struggling... :D

• Funny
Reactions: Adopado