Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA - left turn signal doesn't reset - defective steering control module

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was at the SC a couple days ago and pressed two different techs regarding this issue. They both definitively said Tesla now believes it to be a firmware bug and they are working on a fix. I told them that everyone else are getting the stalks replaced; sometimes two or three times until they found one that worked. They would not order me a new one and instead told me to wait for the update. Just wanted to throw it out there as it's completely opposite of what everyone else is being told. I'm hoping they are right as it would save me the hassle of having it replaced but I'm getting impatient for a fix.

I had sent an angry email to my service center rep saying exactly that everybody else was getting their steering columns replaced with resolution of the issue and other service centers not being aware of a software fix. she's more ordering a replacement stalk but told me this has not fixed the problem in the past. I then replied that since everyone else's problem was fixed by replacing the steering problem that might explain why they haven't bec able to fix it in the past.

1. Hope it actually gets fixed properly at some point
2. Hope I didn't come off as too crazy, but this is what I have been seeing!

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Not sure if I got the revised steering column control module....but mine was replace and is working as designed. Bad news is that I had to bring my car right back to the service center for “power reduce” warning. Took delivery on 9/28 and still haven’t had it in my possession for more than 24hr.

• Informative
I was at the SC a couple days ago and pressed two different techs regarding this issue. They both definitively said Tesla now believes it to be a firmware bug and they are working on a fix. I told them that everyone else are getting the stalks replaced; sometimes two or three times until they found one that worked. They would not order me a new one and instead told me to wait for the update. Just wanted to throw it out there as it's completely opposite of what everyone else is being told. I'm hoping they are right as it would save me the hassle of having it replaced but I'm getting impatient for a fix.

It is a safety issue, so document to them that this is a safety issue. Either not using the signals due to their not working properly or using them in the broken state where you are fumbling to manually get them to reset and sometimes activating the opposite direction is a safety issue.

My service invoice lists it as

Corrections: Module - Steering Column Control
Verified concern. Found when using flash to pass for left turn signal it would not turn off. Removed and replaced steering control column module. Performed firmware update and calibrated. Found turns signals now operating as expected and left flash to pass turning off at appropriate time.
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
STEERING COLUMN CONTROL MODULE 1 (1097662-00-K)

• Informative
Actually what you're describing is normal. The way the turn signals work is that pushing a "normal" feeling amount gives you three blinks. This is normal for cars like BMWs. Pushing past the resistance point until the turn signal physically stops has the turn signal fully engaged, for making a turn.

In the case of the 3 blinks, obviously the turn signal should stop blinking after 3 blinks. In the case of the "full turn" activation (you pushed the signal stalk until it physically stopped the signal stays on) it should reset after you complete a turn.

If your signal behaves this way it is not broken and it's not my intention that people who just don't understand how their car works report a problem that isn't there.

If your signal simply stays on, such as, you do the 3 blink mode but it just goes forever, or you make a turn after having it hard engaged and it never resets, then you probably DO have this problem.

I have the same issue as halobob, and I have driven an older Model 3 for a few months that doesn't exhibit this behavior so this isn't a case of user error. 1 out of 2-3 times if I fully press the turn signal for a right turn (2 detents), it only blinks 3 times.

As reported by another person, I've seen this problem with AP engaged. Fully press the turn signal for a right lane change. The screen changes the line to the right of the on-screen car to dashed lines indicating lane change in progress. After 3 blinks, the turn signal turns itself off and the dashed line changes back to solid and lane change is abandoned.

This is definitely a bug or hardware issue. It may not be the original "left turn" issue, but it is an issue.

• Informative
The behavior I'm seeing is any left turn signal action is being treated as if I did a full pull down on the left. If I actually turn left (versus a lane change) the signal will cancel. I can't cancel a left turn signal by doing using the half left turn pull. I have to use a right turn signal to cancel. The right turn signal behaves as documented and expected.

I didn't notice the issue when I initially got the car. I had read this thread before receiving that car so I would have thought I would have noticed it (I didn't run through a checklist on the car). In any case I would have said GIVE IT TO ME even I had discovered the issue on delivery.

This is on Sept 26, 2018 delivery of September build AWD with a 73500 VIN

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
I did a little more testing and discovered that I can get the left turn to do the the 3 blink thing if i move it a real tiny amount. But if you "touch" the first stop at all it will behave as if you went to the second stop. Comparing the amount of travel needed for left versus right makes me hope it is just a calibration error.

I did a little more testing and discovered that I can get the left turn to do the the 3 blink thing if i move it a real tiny amount. But if you "touch" the first stop at all it will behave as if you went to the second stop. Comparing the amount of travel needed for left versus right makes me hope it is just a calibration error.

As of now it is not considered a calibration issue. Everyone that had this fixed, myself included, required the steering column controller module to be replaced. It is a known issue and someone even posted the revised part number. I too was able to get the left turn to blink 3 times if i ever so slightly pressed down. Wasn’t a big issue for me...but my car was at the service center anyway so i had mine replaced.

I've made an appointment to address the issue. I didn't want to come to have them tell me that will need to order a part so I called the local service number but it was clear that it was routed to their national call center (20+ minutes of hold time). They told me that before my appointment the will diagnose (read the description and remotely check the car?) and waive off the appointment if they determine that I need a part they don't have. I also asked about mobile service and the person I was talking checked her guidelines and apparently anything involving the steering wheel is service center.

Hot off the press: They send me an email last week saying my turn signal part was in. I got an appointment to swap out the part this morning. Got there just before opening, the techs were all in a scrum in the service bay. They opened the door, I drove in. They said they've just been informed under no circumstances are they to install that part. The mother ship is doing an engineering change on the mechanism, and they'll let me know when that new part is ready.

"But", I said, "everyone on-line is saying that installing the existing part solved the problem?"

"Yeah, we know. We aren't doing it any more. As of 10 minutes ago."

I said "it's only like half an hour to replace, right?"

Well, more like an hour and a half. Swapping the part mechanically takes a half an hour, but the controller chip on the part would then need to have its firmware updated, and that means the car needs a whole new software load (45 minutes), and then the tech has to do a complete recalibration involving turning the steering wheel lock-to-lock and finding center. Good news: they can send a ranger by the house to do this.

Isn't technology wonderful.

I had the issue, service center fixed it no problem.
106xxx

I have 103xxx and thought what's with this blinker. Why is it still on?

I just tried the half blink test on left and right and it was fine. I'm not sure it's a valid test because I suspect mine could be broken.

But I keep blaming myself when it doesn't behave, in that I assume I set full blinker when I meant to do half.
Guess I'll keep a closer eye on it.

Hot off the press: They send me an email last week saying my turn signal part was in. I got an appointment to swap out the part this morning. Got there just before opening, the techs were all in a scrum in the service bay. They opened the door, I drove in. They said they've just been informed under no circumstances are they to install that part. The mother ship is doing an engineering change on the mechanism, and they'll let me know when that new part is ready.

"But", I said, "everyone on-line is saying that installing the existing part solved the problem?"

"Yeah, we know. We aren't doing it any more. As of 10 minutes ago."

I said "it's only like half an hour to replace, right?"

Well, more like an hour and a half. Swapping the part mechanically takes a half an hour, but the controller chip on the part would then need to have its firmware updated, and that means the car needs a whole new software load (45 minutes), and then the tech has to do a complete recalibration involving turning the steering wheel lock-to-lock and finding center. Good news: they can send a ranger by the house to do this.

Isn't technology wonderful.

Wonder what that means If anything to those of us that had ours swapped already.

Wonder what that means If anything to those of us that had ours swapped already.

I wonder this too.

Also it looks like many thousands of units are affected by this, Tesla is going to get to replace thousands of these, huge cost.

Also safety issue. If someone gets hit because they were dealing with this issue while driving Tesla could be on the hook.

Reactions: cwerdna
Dang, wished I'd figured this out earlier and had it replaced. Now we probably have to wait for a FW update.

VIN 96xxx. Thought our turn signal was inconsistent. We've definitely had problems getting just the three blinks, I thought on right turns. Pushing up to the detent but not through it has been turning it on continuously until cancelled. I think it works properly sometimes, or maybe worked for a short time before going crazy now. I'll have to go out and figure out our exact symptoms. The 3 replaced a Mini Cooper S with the same style of turn signal, so we're old hands with how it should work.