Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pucks and ramps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

I bought a set of all season tyres for my LR, Goodyear Vector 4seasons gen 3. I also bought a set of pucks.

Are these always required? Or is it only if trolley jacks are used? I’m having a complete block in recalling what an actual garage ramp/lift looks like to change tyres and if they’ll be required or not. I expect I’m going to have to be explain to where ever I take it about the pucks...so I better arm myself with some knowledge :)

If a garage puts your car on a lift to change the tyres then you/they will need 4 pucks for a two post (four arm) lift.

If they're using a trolley jack, just the one.

Oh, and to complicate things a little further, the pucks seem to come in two sizes. I have 4 large ones for garage visits and a small one that fits my own trolley jack.

Need to change my tyres too.
Would most garages know about the car needing pucks and have them?
What happens if they lift the car without the pucks?

Most won't have them because they are car specific. Some other cars use pads too but they are always particular to the vehicle. With great care the car could be jacked with some makeshift method using wood or whatever but you can't guarantee that the jack will be exactly positioned and the risk is damaging the battery pack which takes up almost the entirety of the underside of the car... so not worth it.

question so you have to purchase 4 large pucks and 1 small puck to use with bottle jack????
No.

The contact area of the bottle jack is so small that when used with any size puck you'll need to be really cautious, ensuring the contact point is dead centre. Bottle jacks aren't really designed for use with any shape of puck. They should really make direct contact with the car which isn't advisable with the circular jack points on the Tesla.

I bought a small puck so that it fits within the recess of my own trolley jack. The lifts used at my local garage have larger recesses.