Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pulled over by a cop on Day 1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my Model X yesterday afternoon. This morning, while driving home with my family from the library, a cop pulled me over. He could not see the temporary registration through the tint of the rear window. He told me I needed to take it down, get it laminated, and mount it where the real license plate goes. He also said the rear windows were tinted way below 20, and while he doesn't care, a "statey" could pull me over and write me up for that. He let me go on my way after verifying that I am the owner of the vehicle.

My X is unmodified, with windows exactly as delivered from the factory. What is the tint from the factory? Is it below really 20? Has anyone had any law enforcement issues with the default window tint or the temporary tags? Did you bother mounting the temp tags on the exterior?

Reactions: NathanWolf
I was reading up on this, and was amused to read that front window tinting is restricted to the top 6 inches of the windshield in Washington state.

Check your registration. Mine in Massachusetts classifies the vehicle as an SUV. If yours does, too, it looks like rear window tint is unrestricted on SUVs. IANAL.

Reactions: Wynn
I've been a little concerned also that our temporary tags aren't visible at all through the tint- it does seem really dark.

Thanks for the head's up! Actually going to Seattle tomorrow... guess I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Your state and county will dictate what is and what isn't acceptable. If the temp plate is stuck inside the car then that's what you need to do, if it's meant to be mounted outside, Tesla will do that too.

It isn't what a police officer wants or thinks, it's what actually is required by law. While he might be looking out for you, you don't need to do all of that if it isn't required by law.

My state transitioned to the temp printouts and they're stuck where the actual plate goes, because the state approved and moved to that.

As for tinting, I believe the back is always never regulated on an SUV. They're allowed to even be limo tint. It's the fronts that are regulated. Most officers I've spoken with actually don't care, it's just something to add to a ticket if they're annoyed with you.

I took delivery of my Model X yesterday afternoon. This morning, while driving home with my family from the library, a cop pulled me over. He could not see the temporary registration through the tint of the rear window. He told me I needed to take it down, get it laminated, and mount it where the real license plate goes. He also said the rear windows were tinted way below 20, and while he doesn't care, a "statey" could pull me over and write me up for that. He let me go on my way after verifying that I am the owner of the vehicle.

My X is unmodified, with windows exactly as delivered from the factory. What is the tint from the factory? Is it below really 20? Has anyone had any law enforcement issues with the default window tint or the temporary tags? Did you bother mounting the temp tags on the exterior?
I was a bit worried about this too but never had an issue. I didn't drive in Seattle with the temp plate hardly at all though.

Maybe the officer wasn't aware you were driving an SUV.

Reactions: Wynn
Thanks everyone for your input. I looked up the law in Washington State, and it looks like you are right. The rear window and rear passenger windows have no limitations on a truck or SUV. I agree that the officer didn't realize that this is an SUV. He did look at it and ask me "What is this?"

On the temp tags affixed to the rear window it does state that it needs to be clearly visible when standing or driving behind the vehicle. It also says it can be mounted on the inside rear window, or put into a moisture proof container and mounted where the rear plate goes. From my own observation, my wife's, and the officer's, it is definitely not "clearly visible" when mounted inside the rear window. I have a laminating machine at home, so I ran it through there and affixed it to the rear plate holder. I'm confident I am now within the law. I am surprised Tesla puts them on he rear window at all with this level of tint.

Reactions: NathanWolf
When I took mine in to get the front windows tinted they measured the rear at 11%. Said that was the darkest they have ever seen. I tinted the fronts at 18% and like how it came out. I've lived in WA state for 10 years and all my cars have had a dark front tint. Never been a problem and I've been pulled over a few times. If you ever get pulled over: all windows down, key on dash, hands on wheel, ask permission to open glove box.... If your nice I doubt any cop will ding you for tint.

I applied 10% tint to all of the glass except for the front windows that are 30% and the bottom half of the panoramic windshield. They don't really enforce in California even though zero tint is allowed on the front.

My Model S has no tint anywhere and I love the ability to see clearly through the windows.

My sister is a lawyer here in California. She has seen cases where people tint their windshield, and or front door windows to illegal darkness. When an accident happens, she tells me the insurance companies say, "sorry" we contracted assuming a legal vehicle, you are on your own. Top that off, she tells me of some cases where there are injuries to the other passengers, the judge throws the book at the tinted driver to the point of jail time.. Makes sense, if you think about it.

• Informative
Reactions: SSD420
But I read it as the top 6 inches of the windshield can be tinted. I fear they failed to anticipate the model X windshield.
Look for this notation on your windshield:
20160918_233052.jpg
This is the legal limit for tinting as defined by the windshield manufacturer and approved by the government. I believe it also indicates the glass is safety glass.

I've never had any problems at all tinting my Model S P85 that I got back in mid-2013. I just got a Model X last month and I tinted all the windows (except the windshield). Just beware if you tint the back hatchback window, not to go too dark. I tinted to avoid heat and it works VERY well but the back window is hard enough seeing out with the fixed spoiler and third row seat headrests but tinting the back also makes it darker making it tougher to see out of the already tough to see out window.

I asked a CA highway patrol directly whether or not it was legal to tint the front driver and passenger windows and he said it is illegal. He was up front and said that he personally wouldn't ticket someone but that even a clear coat is illegal. Idea behind it is you're ever stuck they can't smash the window.

Anyone have horror stories of fix it tickets? Or post tint removal aesthetic problems?

• Informative
Reactions: erthquake
I actually asked my tine guy to take a reading. He said it's close to 10. Pretty close to limousine tint which is about 5. CA does not allow tinting on front windows and windshield but I don't think cops will ticket me for the 55 I got on windows. I've seen cars with darker tints everywhere. I also got PhotoSync 75 on my windshield. You could hardly tell it's tinted but it makes a huge difference in keep interior cool.

Reactions: earlyretirement