Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pulled Over By A State Trooper!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's a lot of unnecessary drama in this thread :). I guess we're all just killing time before tomorrow's big announcement :).

I just saw a guy who loved the car and wanted to check it out. The fact that he's a police officer was secondary. If he pulled me over with lights to see the car, I might've been upset. If he appeared to be demanding that I pull over, I would've been upset. It was neither. Just a guy who wanted to check out the car who happened to wear a funny hat.

There's a lot of unnecessary drama in this thread :). I guess we're all just killing time before tomorrow's big announcement :).

I just saw a guy who loved the car and wanted to check it out. The fact that he's a police officer was secondary. If he pulled me over with lights to see the car, I might've been upset. If he appeared to be demanding that I pull over, I would've been upset. It was neither. Just a guy who wanted to check out the car who happened to wear a funny hat.

OK, but be honest. If a person in any other car came along side you on the highway, would you pull over to talk? You made a judgement call on the risk based on the fact it was a police car. I see both sides of this, honestly. No harm came here, but what would we be saying if one of you got struck on the side of the road by a passing car, or if you got into an accident while giving the demo, and the officer was hurt and therefore was no longer to do his job, etc.

And for the record, I would have done exactly the same thing you did.

This is just a nice story, why are we all so uptight? The guy was a car fan and just happened to be a cop.

I'd do exactly the same, on the basis that (one assumes) a Police Officer can be trusted, and is rather unlikely to hijack you or otherwise do you harm. If a random person did the same thing, I'd be less likely to comply, purely based on trust. I've had a high-dollar car stolen during a test drive, so I'm suspicious.

Thumbs up Todd. The cop was fishing for a free ride, he gave you an out, and you let him have it. Good for you! Law enforcement is an underpaid and potentially lethal profession and you let him indulge in one of the perks without (IMO) endangering public safety. It's these kinds of interactions that make the world a better place.

It's an abusive power. It's also theft of his salary. He is on duty and has no business taking a joy ride while on duty. He was also unavailable to protect and serve while on that joy ride. Someone could have had an emergency. It's not funny at all.

raydisgusted.png
4g2gkl.png
2rp8xfs.png

First of all, I don't really see this as a huge deal. It's certainly an awesome story, kinda cool that it happened and all that.

But what if we switch it around and substitute "Model S" with beautiful woman? Cop flags down a hot chick on the freeway, strikes up a conversation and maybe ends up making out with her for a few minutes.

Now, if I am the woman I think it's kinda cool, certainly flattering, and if he gave me his number I might even go out on a date with him cause he's cute. But would I think it was appropriate? Certainly not.

P.S. For the record, if I was the woman I obviously WOULD make out with him, cause that's just the way the world oughta work... :rolleyes:

W.

T.

F.

adding you to my creeper list. just... wow.

It's an abusive power. It's also theft of his salary. He is on duty and has no business taking a joy ride while on duty. He was also unavailable to protect and serve while on that joy ride. Someone could have had an emergency. It's not funny at all.

To quote Bill Murray in Stripes: Lighten up Francis!

Don't hurt yourself getting down from that high horse.

Is it any more abusive than if the boss came up and asked for a ride in your new tesla?

Cops are criticized for interacting and criticized for not interacting with the general public. It's a double edged sword made worse when people assume the interaction is based on some abuse of power.

If those critics knew what it took to pin that badge on they'd realize the guy is most likely an everyday dude and was just trying to get a few moments of Tesla time like anybody else.

It's a very cool story. Tesla Time (when you HAVE the time) is always fun for me.

Disclaimer: We live outside of a very small town. We have 3 cops including the chief. This week one of the local cops was "stalking"my car. It's pretty clear to me that he's just fascinated by the car. I plan on calling the cop shop and setting up a test drive if he wishes.

Not to stir the pot, or troll in any way but: What if Todd was stoned, or drunk, or had something illegal in his car?

It's a very cool story. Tesla Time (when you HAVE the time) is always fun for me.

Disclaimer: We live outside of a very small town. We have 3 cops including the chief. This week one of the local cops was "stalking"my car. It's pretty clear to me that he's just fascinated by the car. I plan on calling the cop shop and setting up a test drive if he wishes.

Not to stir the pot, or troll in any way but: What if Todd was stoned, or drunk, or had something illegal in his car?

Couldn't technically be prosecuted based upon lack of probable cause. In order for a police officer to initiate a traffic stop, there must be some sort of probable cause that raised suspicion of an ongoing criminal act. Missing front license plate, faulty safety equipment, window tint, failure to stop behind the limit line, failure to signal on turns or lane changes, weaving, evidence of inattentive driving, use of a cell phone or other electronic device, vehicle registration issues... are all elements of p.c. to initiate a traffic stop, particularly when the officer/deputy is investigating another possible criminal act.

Then he shouldn't be driving his car. In all fairness random stops by the police can in fact sometimes be a part of what they should be doing.

- - - Updated - - -

Couldn't technically be prosecuted based upon lack of probable cause. In order for a police officer to initiate a traffic stop, there must be some sort of probable cause that raised suspicion of an ongoing criminal act. Missing front license plate, faulty safety equipment, window tint, failure to stop behind the limit line, failure to signal on turns or lane changes, weaving, evidence of inattentive driving, use of a cell phone or other electronic device, vehicle registration issues... are all elements of p.c. to initiate a traffic stop, particularly when the officer/deputy is investigating another possible criminal act.

Really? So in the US if the police has no reason to stop you they can't? Over here it's not uncommon for the police to set up a traffic stop along a road and just stand there and wave cars in as they go by, checking license and registration and making you blow the alco-meter. Totally random checks that is. I think it's a good thing actually.

Then he shouldn't be driving his car. In all fairness random stops by the police can in fact sometimes be a part of what they should be doing.

- - - Updated - - -

Really? So in the US if the police has no reason to stop you they can't? Over here it's not uncommon for the police to set up a traffic stop along a road and just stand there and wave cars in as they go by, checking license and registration and making you blow the alco-meter. Totally random checks that is. I think it's a good thing actually.

DUI traffic checkpoints are a special constitutional exemption to the 4th amendment (10 or so states do not accept the exemption and do not allow checkpoints), and the order is typically based upon evidence presented to a magistrate which demonstrates a high number of DUI offenders in a certain area, complaints from the general public, or recent increase in alcohol/drug related traffic incidents in a particular area. Officers cannot just willy-nilly set up a DUI check point. In addition, they must be advertised by location and time to the public in advance of the DUI checkpoint by some formal media outlet.

OMG. Don't go THERE!

- - - Updated - - -

Really? So in the US if the police has no reason to stop you they can't? Over here it's not uncommon for the police to set up a traffic stop along a road and just stand there and wave cars in as they go by, checking license and registration and making you blow the alco-meter. Totally random checks that is. I think it's a good thing actually

Yes, we have this here too. It's legal (for now) and still quite controversial.

We take the Bill of Rights (collective name for the first ten amendments to the US Constitution) pretty seriously. Personal Liberty is kind of a big deal here.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

I was pulled over last week by a County Sheriff on my way from San Antonio to Houston. I apparently didn't use my turn signal to change lanes on I-10, where at the time there was one car per quarter mile. I think he just wanted to see the car. Got a written warning.

Yes, the "Pursuit of happiness" is also a right we take seriously. And, as you most likely know from history; we're always glad to help. :smile:

I applaude you for that, yes! However, happiness is hard to measure and freedom can at times be hard to define.

Where Are the World's Happiest Countries? | TIME.com

From the above article, citing the U.N's ranking, the Denmark, Finland and Norway are in the lead, with the US in 11th place...

I applaude you for that, yes! However, happiness is hard to measure and freedom can at times be hard to define.

Where Are the World's Happiest Countries? | TIME.com

From the above article, citing the U.N's ranking, the Denmark, Finland and Norway are in the lead, with the US in 11th place...

LOL @the UN.

Just curious; how do you think the survey looked on April 10th, 1940?

LOL @the UN.

Just curious; how do you think the survey looked on April 10th, 1940?

Had it been done at that time I'm sure all of Europe was at the bottom. And Europe will be forever thankfull to the US for the way that was changed. It's just interesting to see how sometimes the American definition of individual freedom is held so sacred that to suggest anything that may come in to conflict with it stirs such strongs feelings.

Had it been done at that time I'm sure all of Europe was at the bottom. And Europe will be forever thankfull to the US for the way that was changed. It's just interesting to see how sometimes the American definition of individual freedom is held so sacred that to suggest anything that may come in to conflict with it stirs such strongs feelings.

Yes, "sacred" is a good word. It works for me. Cheers.