Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pulled over driving Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pulled over today on Rte. 23 in NJ by the West Milford police. 2 cars, both female officers. Asked for DL, registration and insurance. When I asked if there was a problem, they said, "you are not displaying an inspection sticker." I replied, "Officer, this is an electric vehicle and it is exempt from the inspection requirements in NJ." The Officer answered, "Do you have documentation to support that?"

Of course, I had the page from the NJ DMV website with me, which described the regulation and the exemption for electric vehicles. She took all the documents back to her car and conferred with the other officer. The two of them proceeded to bend over, duck down and twist around looking under the vehicle, presumable for an exhaust pipe. Finally, they approach the car and say, how do you fuel it?

I explained there was a charging port to plug in a cable, and they wanted to see it. I described where it was and proceeded to attempt to open it, but wouldn't you know, the durn thing just clicked and would not open. I volunteered to show it to them, so they allowed me to get out of the car and I showed them the port, but it still would not open. Anyway, they believed me. I got back in the car, and shortly they approached with my documents. She said, "OK, we will let you slide on the inspection sticker, but we have a bigger problem... Your car is coming up stolen on our computer... " When my jaw dropped, she said "Just kidding, you can go..." She almost had me.

I told her a little bit about the car, and then we departed.

Lol, that was great.

ian B

Sitting at a red light in LA, a parking enforcement office taps on my window and asks, "Is that a Tesla?" I respond that yes it is. He notes his approval but then cautions me, "Your brake lights are out though. You better get that fixed". (I don't use creep). I didn't try to explain as the light was about to turn green.

Pulled over today on Rte. 23 in NJ by the West Milford police. 2 cars, both female officers. Asked for DL, registration and insurance. When I asked if there was a problem, they said, "you are not displaying an inspection sticker." I replied, "Officer, this is an electric vehicle and it is exempt from the inspection requirements in NJ." The Officer answered, "Do you have documentation to support that?"

Of course, I had the page from the NJ DMV website with me, which described the regulation and the exemption for electric vehicles. She took all the documents back to her car and conferred with the other officer. The two of them proceeded to bend over, duck down and twist around looking under the vehicle, presumably for an exhaust pipe. Finally, they approach the car and say, how do you fuel it?

I explained there was a charging port to plug in a cable, and they wanted to see it. I described where it was and proceeded to attempt to open it, but, wouldn't you know, the durn thing just clicked and would not open. I volunteered to show it to them, so they allowed me to get out of the car and I showed them the port, but it still would not open. Anyway, they believed me. I got back in the car, and shortly they approached with my documents. She said, "OK, we will let you slide on the inspection sticker, but we have a bigger problem... Your car is coming up stolen on our computer... " When my jaw dropped, she said "Just kidding, you can go..." She almost had me.

I told her a little bit about the car, and then we departed.

I was pulled over for this a few towns over in Bloomingdale a couple months ago, but the cop took my word for it. I agree, the cops should be better informed, but at least they ultimately didn't try to hand out a ticket!

wouldn't you know, the durn thing just clicked and would not open. I volunteered to show it to them, so they allowed me to get out of the car and I showed them the port, but it still would not open.

When the sun has been shining on the charge port, I find it often gets stuck like this. If I tap on the rightmost edge of the charge port reflector right after the click (which requires either a 2nd person to press it inside or a powered charge cable), that will usually make it work.

Great story.

I got pulled over in my Roadster in the carpool lane once (story is here on TMC somewhere) because the officer didn't believe it was an EV. After checking out all my docs he relented. No humor like your cops though.

I'm now used to routine admiration from cops, security people, bus drivers...
- Police car in Santa Monica pulls up next to me at a light and makes the hand motion to roll down my window, which I do thinking I've done something wrong. She proceeds to ask me how much I like the Tesla!
- Sheriff in San Diego County parks behind me as I'm getting in the car, blocking me in. I'm sure I've done something wrong, but he just gets out and starts asking all kinds of questions. I gave the full tour.
- Ranger at Pismo Dunes State Park (while filming gallonsoflight.com) who pulls up during filming, blocking the sunset during the few minutes we have, and wants to know all about the car. Since we didn't have a filming permit it was awkward because we didn't want to create an issue. I tried to be friendly but brief until he went away!
- LA bus driving opens front door while in traffic and starts yelling. I can't tell what he's saying so I think I must have cut him off or something. But no, he was just saying what a cool car it is!
- Golf cart security guy at an office building in Redlands where I charged last weekend on the way to the mountains zoomed over. I thought he was going to tell me I couldn't charge there because it's private property. But no, he just launched into the "Who makes this car?..." (you know the rest) routine.

Notice a trend? I seem to expect trouble.

Last edited:
Notice a trend?

Yep, clearly you're regularly in trouble with your spouse.

- - - Updated - - -

Yea, I probably would have said something like, "Isn't it YOUR job to know and enforce the laws?"

My thought exactly, but said with an *are you bleeping kidding me* attitude and accompanied with the matching look on my face, and likely followed by an equally unwise smart alec comment said out loud (while thinking I'd just said it in my head).

...not as much fun as some of the above posters. I was @ Teslive and volunteered to do airport pickups this past Friday. I was headed from the factory to SFO and was pushing it a bit to make up time (...the airports in the SF Bay Area were really messed up after the plane crash). CHP had a radar/laser trap on the San Mateo bridge and I was tagged at 82 in a 65 zone. Haven't had a ticket in 10 years, but the officer was only willing to reduce the speed to 80 to get me into a better fee schedule. Guess I'll pay the fine and do on-line traffic school to erase the points.

And that's why they call it CHP red or 'arrest me' red.

Of course, I had the page from the NJ DMV website with me, which described the regulation and the exemption for electric vehicles. She took all the documents back to her car and conferred with the other officer. The two of them proceeded to bend over, duck down and twist around looking under the vehicle, presumably for an exhaust pipe. Finally, they approach the car and say, how do you fuel it?

There is a sticker on the underside of the liftgate that has the exemption information.

I was tagged at 82 in a 65 zone. Haven't had a ticket in 10 years, but the officer was only willing to reduce the speed to 80 to get me into a better fee schedule. Guess I'll pay the fine and do on-line traffic school to erase the points.
You would have got away with a warning at 75 in a 65 zone (CHP will usually give a 10mph leeway). 82 is pushing it too much, esp. on a bridge (San Mateo used to be 55mph limit, raised to 65mph in 2004). At least he did reduce the written speed for you to get you let you slide under the 1-15mph over limit fee schedule (the lowest amount).

You would have got away with a warning at 75 in a 65 zone (CHP will usually give a 10mph leeway). 82 is pushing it too much, esp. on a bridge (San Mateo used to be 55mph limit, raised to 65mph in 2004). At least he did reduce the written speed for you to get you let you slide under the 1-15mph over limit fee schedule (the lowest amount).

I was polite and did not argue...I'll pay the fine and remember to keep cruise control on.

I had quite an interesting experience today with the California Highway Patrol. This afternoon, I was heading north on 101 doing about 30mph in traffic. Out of the blue a motorcycle CHP appeared in my rear view mirror with his lights on. I thought he might have seen me glancing at my phone or something, because I sure wasn't speeding, I had my seatbelt on and hadn't remotely broken any other laws. I pulled over onto the shoulder. He got off his motorcycle, came to my passenger side window and asked for my license, insurance and registration. I handed them over and asked what I had done wrong since I clearly wasn't speeding in this traffic. He said "I want to check something on the front of your car." He goes and looks at the front, comes back and says "You don't have a front license plate. You know in California you're supposed to have a front plate. Do you have the front plate with you?" I explained that I was sorry I didn't have it on, but yes, it's in the trunk and would he like to see it? "No, it's fine," he says, "I believe you. But how would even put the plate on? And what is that front black thing on your car? Is that a cover for something? What kind of car is this? It looks great. I'm retiring this year and I'm going to buy a new car and I'd love one of these." He proceeds to tell me that he's not going to give me a ticket or anything for the front plate, but that he'd like to know more about the car. He asks about charging, how it drives, etc.. He was very nice and asked if I minded taking a few minutes telling him about it. I said I was happy to tell him about. I was so relieved that I wasn't getting a ticket (and I wasn't in a rush to get anywhere) that I had the rather bizarre experience of explaining/selling the car on the shoulder of the freeway to a police officer! He clearly didn't care about the missing front plate and was just interested in the car.

On related note, to my husband's amazement, this is the FOURTH consecutive time that I have been pulled over by the CHP and not been given a ticket. Knock on wood!! (The previous three were for speeding or other moving violations.) This is the first time in the Tesla though.

I had quite an interesting experience today with the California Highway Patrol. This afternoon, I was heading north on 101 doing about 30mph in traffic. Out of the blue a motorcycle CHP appeared in my rear view mirror with his lights on. I thought he might have seen me glancing at my phone or something, because I sure wasn't speeding, I had my seatbelt on and hadn't remotely broken any other laws. I pulled over onto the shoulder. He got off his motorcycle, came to my passenger side window and asked for my license, insurance and registration. I handed them over and asked what I had done wrong since I clearly wasn't speeding in this traffic. He said "I want to check something on the front of your car." He goes and looks at the front, comes back and says "You don't have a front license plate. You know in California you're supposed to have a front plate. Do you have the front plate with you?" I explained that I was sorry I didn't have it on, but yes, it's in the trunk and would he like to see it? "No, it's fine," he says, "I believe you. But how would even put the plate on? And what is that front black thing on your car? Is that a cover for something? What kind of car is this? It looks great. I'm retiring this year and I'm going to buy a new car and I'd love one of these." He proceeds to tell me that he's not going to give me a ticket or anything for the front plate, but that he'd like to know more about the car. He asks about charging, how it drives, etc.. He was very nice and asked if I minded taking a few minutes telling him about it. I said I was happy to tell him about. I was so relieved that I wasn't getting a ticket (and I wasn't in a rush to get anywhere) that I had the rather bizarre experience of explaining/selling the car on the shoulder of the freeway to a police officer! He clearly didn't care about the missing front plate and was just interested in the car.

On related note, to my husband's amazement, this is the FOURTH consecutive time that I have been pulled over by the CHP and not been given a ticket. Knock on wood!! (The previous three were for speeding or other moving violations.) This is the first time in the Tesla though.

That's awesome, at least you didn't get a ticket!