Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pure P85 - Itemized (Warning: Wall of Text)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like many of you, I've become completely obsessed with Tesla and therefore TMC. I thought it would help me (and perhaps some of you?) to summarize my perception of the TMC consensus on Model S options based on reading thousands of your comments. To summarize, I've talked myself into a P85 with very limited options as the best match and a great value.

Battery
TMC Consensus: Depends on your needs.
Why I will get 85kW: 100 mile round trip daily commute. Don't want to deal with range anxiety. Ever.

Performance
TMC Consensus: Get it. If you don't get it now, you'll be begging Tesla to modify your order in a week.
Why I will get "P": 4 seconds. 'nuf said. Honestly if this wasn't a daily commuter car, I would have gotten the "+". I drove it. It rocks. Read @texex posts if you want some great insights. There are very few cars at this or any price point that can serve multi-duty as well as the Model S:commuter, kid-schlepper, executive saloon, and 4 second 0-60 sports sedan. I love the "all-rounder" design.

Tires/Wheels
TMC Consensus: 21's wear out tires quickly and are expensive to replace. Marginally better handling, but noisier. Look great - Turbine design is just beautiful.
Why I will get 19": For me, multiple test drives actually proved that the 21's had excellent ride quality and handling characteristics. However, I just can't see changing tires 3x annually (I drive 24,000 miles/year). The 19's will last longer and be quieter on poor road surfaces. I look forward to the expansive choice of tires available in 19" sizes. I will upgrade to Michelin Pilots when the time comes. Some forum members have spoken very highly of the new A/S 3's. The base wheels look really good to me as well.

Suspension
TMC Consensus: Active air is worth the price. EDIT: Tesla is a low car, so active air is really helpful for not scraping the underbody on steep driveways. Further, there is a marginal improvement in range because car lowers itself at speeds above 55mph, for better aerodynamics.
Why I will get standard suspension: This was a tough one. Although I agree that body roll in corners is improved with air suspension, I'm still not convinced that air actually provides better handling or control. It is less communicative with the driver, so it may feel smoother, but lacks that sport sedan vibe I'm looking for. Props to @lolachampcar for all his informative posts on this subject. FWIW he feels that the standard suspension is a few tweaks away from reaching the M5-level of greatness. Also, there are outstanding questions about long term reliability of air.

Tech
TMC Consensus: Must have. EDIT: Some say that tech is a sort of "central upgrade" that allows all sorts of future upgrades. Does anybody know if this is true?
Why I chose to skip tech: It's very expensive for what it is. It bundles all sorts of things I don't need or don't use. My mobile phone navigation will always be light years ahead of any vehicle-based system. Lately, I flip on Waze no matter where I'm going just because of the amazing social-network based real time traffic re-routing. I never use my vehicle nav system anymore. Even without Tech, you still get GPS and maps, just not turn by turn directions. As for other features: I don't mind lifting and lowering the rear lift gate manually, it's quicker that way. I don't mind having to touch the handles to have them auto-present. The halogens and DRLs seem plenty bright. The homelink would be nice but I have a sweet garage door opener that looks like a Star Trek communicator. Who would give that up? There are some really cool hacks for turning your phone into a garage door opener too. And as for resale, I tend to keep my cars for about 10 years, so it's not really a factor.

Third Row Seat
TMC Consensus: Nice to have if you have kids at the right age. Most kids seem to love riding back there but the ventilation is an issue on hot days.
Why I'm definitely getting the rear seating option: I'm in the unique situation of actually making a lot of use of this. We may be able to avoid getting a minivan because of this feature! I have two young kids and entire extended family (aunts and uncles, 3 more young children, both sets of grandparents) close by, so we will always have a full house, and the added flexibility of the jump seats is awesome.

HPWC
TMC Consensus: Unnecessary. Could be a good idea for "future proofing" your car, but it is rare that you can make use of twin chargers in most real world conditions.
Why I skipped it: Don't think I'll ever use it between overnight charging at home, supercharger network expansion, and relatively huge amount of free chargers proliferating (i know where there are free chargers across the street from work thanks to plugshare.com app). This made me realize that the electric grid infrastructure is much more pervasive that the gas station infrastructure! EDIT: Tesla bundles the HPWC with the twin chargers at $2700. I could see a much better option would be purchasing a Mobile Connector Bundle for $650 from Tesla (http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s/products/model-s-mobile-connector-bundle) so that you can keep a UMC in the car.

Parking Sensors
TMC Consensus: A lot of people have been waiting for this feature. EDIT: Beeping can be disabled, visual representation assists with parking. But does audible alert have to be disabled every time you get in your car or can it be shut off for good?
Why I will skip it: I've never owned a car with sensors, so maybe I don't know what I'm missing, but it seems like the beeping would get annoying. Many end up turning this feature off after they get used to the size of their car.

Pano
TMC Consensus: For sun worshippers this is like getting a convertible thrown in for free. EDIT: Pano roof is the only way to get exposed hardpoints for a roof rack. I've never seen a MS with a roof rack, but I bet it looks amazing with a pair of mountain bikes up there.
For me: I will go with closed (no pano) roof. Hate the idea of always having the sun pour in, even though owners say that dark tint does an admirable job of keeping car cool. Also, structural integrity has to be compromised a tiny bit? Many are reporting squeaks and rattles from pano.

Seats
TMC Consensus: Get leather
Why I'm getting leather: I think the seat design is a little dumpy to begin with. Not thrilled with these seats if you compare them to 18 way power adjustable heated and ventilated seats in a Lexus GS 350 F Sport (this was what I originally wanted to buy as next car before Model S came into play). Textile fabric is quite nice. Looks like it will hold up well. It will prevent you from sliding around in your seat during spirited driving. One real downside is that with little kids, the textile may be harder to clean. Hmph. Guess I'm getting the standard leather in black

Color
TMC Consensus: They're all beautiful. EDIT: Tesla uses relatively soft paint, so application of a sealant like Opticoat (professional) is advisable.
For me: Comes down to blue. The blue that Tesla uses is gorgeous. It changes from a dark almost black color to sharp glints of severe blue depending on the light. I love it. I seriously considered the grey too. It's the classiest color and looks really sharp. But both my current cars are grey, so it's time for a change.

Interior trim
TMC Consensus: Follow your taste. All options look good. Base piano black material is tough to keep pristine - fingerprint magnet. EDIT: Keep in mind your personal car probably won't attract fingerprints the way a showroom car will, because there won't be hundreds of gawkers sitting in your passenger seat. Right?
What to do? I love the Obeche Wood Gloss for its luster and subtle complexity. But wood seems out of place in such a high tech car. Carbon fiber looks and feels good. It's the real thing. No problem with fingerprints because it's matte, but there's so much aftermarket imitation carbon fiber out there that - I hate to say this - carbon fiber is sort of ruined for me. CF is just too common these days. I actually think the base piano black trim looks quite good. Clean and simple. Matches the car quite well. It attracts fingerprints like crazy, but since you will be constantly wiping down the screen anyway, why not the trim?

EDIT - All of the options below were no brainers for me to skip. They aren't worth the extra expense in my case, but some people love 'em...

Ambient interior Lighting
TMC Consensus: Hard to even notice it's there but one poster said that it provided excellent lighting at night when his kids dropped something on the floor. I'm sure it looks cool.

Hi-Fi
TMC Consensus: Tesla base sound is decent. Upgraded Hi-Fi isn't as good as it could be. If you're a true audiophile (I'm not) you will want an aftermarket system anyway.

Extended Leather/Alcantara headliner
TMC Consensus: Nice to have but it's not a "wow" factor for me at least.

Sports seats
TMC Consensus: Look great, suede materials are top-notch. Piping (red or blue/grey) is a matter of taste. Kinda expensive for what you get.

Armor
TMC Consensus: Offers good protection. Some people choose to have it done across entire front surface so that you don't see the visible line where the armor ends on your hood. There's also a fierce debate on whether you apply protective coatings before or after the armor is applied.

EDIT:
Roof
TMC Consensus: Split. A matter of taste
Me: I love the blacked out roof as a no cost option. In some color configurations it looks really hot. Tends to make the profile a little sleeker. Contrast of say, a silver car on 21" grey turbines with black roof looks amazing. Black is always hard to keep clean, though.

Again, sorry for the long post. Hope this was helpful. Sure was nice to get all my thoughts together. Now I have to build it and hit the order button! And GRIN.

I'm sure there are many errors, omissions, and certainly different opinions....Fire away!

Last edited:
As I understand it, the notion that the base piano black interior trim is a fingerprint magnet stems from seeing cars with piano black in Tesla’s showrooms. Again, as I understand it, these cars have a near constant stream of people flowing through them (metaphorically speaking), and placing their fingers all over the place (as you do…). That might not be the case though when your own car sits in its designated parking space… :wink:

But of course, no disrespect towards the carbon fiber. That’s probably my personal preference as well.

Last edited:
I recommend to get the air suspension, and use it extensively as the chin of the MS is very low and vulnerable at concrete curbs and wheel stops.
One encounter with a crazy curb or parking area, and you may understand the merit of this suggestion.

I also use it daily in my parking garage at work to avoid dragging the belly on the steep up-hill ramp transitions.

Even though you may not notice it, the car also lowers itself @ higher speeds for better aerodynamics and improved mileage.

I recommend to get the air suspension, and use it extensively as the chin of the MS is very low and vulnerable at concrete curbs and wheel stops.
One encounter with a crazy curb or parking area, and you may understand the merit of this suggestion.

I also use it daily in my parking garage at work to avoid dragging the belly on the steep up-hill ramp transitions. /...
But don’t cars with air suspension often have lower ride height than cars with the standard suspension (except when raised of course)?

Last edited:
Suspension
TMC Consensus: Active air is worth the price
Why I will get standard suspension:This was a tough one. Although I agree that body roll in corners is improved with air suspension, I'm still not convinced that air actually provides better handling or control. It is less communicative with the driver, so it may feel smoother, but lacks that sport sedan vibe I'm looking for. Props to @lolachampcar for all his informative posts on this subject. FWIW he feels that the standard suspension is a few tweaks away from reaching the M5-level of greatness. Also, there are outstanding questions about long term reliability of air.

In the earliest announcements, the air suspension was promoted as offering improved range due to the lowering at highway speeds.

I've not since heard (from Tesla or anyone else) whether there's actually measurable range improvement. If there was, that might be an incentive.

HPWC
TMC Consensus: Unnecessary. Could be a good idea for "future proofing" your car, but it is rare that you can make use of twin chargers in most real world conditions.
Why I skipped it: Don't think I'll ever use it between overnight charging at home, supercharger network expansion, and relatively huge amount of free chargers proliferating (i know where there are free chargers across the street from work thanks to plugshare.com app). This made me realize that the electric grid infrastructure is much more pervasive that the gas station infrastructure!

I think you need to separate the HPWC from twin chargers (despite the fact that Tesla have recently started bundling them!).

HPWC:
- Needed only for the special use-case where you are driving long distances during the day (long commute?) and need to turn-round rapidly to start a long trip in the evening. Most people won't have driving patterns like that, but for some it's a must-have.
- Also desirable as a luxury item as a tidier install in the garage (or outdoors), and allowing you to keep the UMC in the car.

Twin chargers:
- Mainly desirable for road-trips off the Supercharger network. Not necessary at all for overnight charging.
- Only useful if there are actually >40A stations available in locations where you want to charge (but extremely desirable if there are). Hence highly dependent on where you live/travel to.

Congrats DIL. Looks like we ordered pretty similar cars!

But don’t cars with air suspension often have lower ride height than cars with the standard suspension (except when raised of course)?

It is. 0.63" lower in standard, if I recall. It sits higher than my current car, which has never given me any trouble, so it's certainly not a necessity for everyone. Don't roll it over parking blocks and go up/down hills at an angle and you'll be fine. I navigated a giant slope near Santana Row in the coil suspension test car that had tons of scrapes and chunks of asphalt taken out of it. At an angle all was fine.

I think you need to separate the HPWC from twin chargers (despite the fact that Tesla have recently started bundling them!).
In my case, this was part of the issue. I would have been tempted to order the dual chargers, but I don't want to buy a HPWC I can't use. Despite what I've read here and elsewhere, Tesla refused to remove the HPWC from the order or allow its return for a refund. So I was on the fence and that made the decision for me.

Tech
TMC Consensus: Must have.
Why I chose to skip tech: It's very expensive for what it is. It bundles all sorts of things I don't need or don't use. My mobile phone navigation will always be light years ahead of any vehicle-based system. Lately, I flip on Waze no matter where I'm going just because of the amazing social-network based real time traffic re-routing. I never use my vehicle nav system anymore. Even without Tech, you still get GPS and maps, just not turn by turn directions. As for other features: I don't mind lifting and lowering the rear lift gate manually, it's quicker that way. I don't mind having to touch the handles to have them auto-present. The halogens and DRLs seem plenty bright. The homelink would be nice but I have a sweet garage door opener that looks like a Star Trek communicator. Who would give that up? There are some really cool hacks for turning your phone into a garage door opener too. And as for resale, I tend to keep my cars for about 10 years, so it's not really a factor.
It's my understanding that the Tech Package is actually a kind of "central upgrade"; there are several existing options (and more rumoured) that require it. I considered it a sort of future-proofing.

Pano
TMC Consensus: For sun worshippers this is like getting a convertible thrown in for free.
For me: I will go with solid roof. Hate the idea of always having the sun pour in, even though owners say that dark tint does an admirable job of keeping car cool. Also, structural integrity has to be compromised a tiny bit? Many are reporting squeaks and rattles from pano.
Also note that the Pano roof is the only way to get exposed hardpoints for a roof rack. As we'll be using ours for occasional weekend camping, we wanted a rack.

Hifi
TMC Consensus: Tesla base sound is decent. Upgraded hifi isn't as good as it could be. If you're a true audiophile (I'm not) you will want an aftermarket system anyway.
I don't believe there's any good way to add an aftermarket sound system. There's very little room on the dash (maybe in the cubby below the screen?) for a good-quality system head to fit, and there's zero integration with the built-in sound. It's possible some company will produce a Tesla-specific aftermarket system in the future, but at the moment, I think the Hi-fi system is the only way to even get a subwoofer in a Model S.

I don't believe there's any good way to add an aftermarket sound system. There's very little room on the dash (maybe in the cubby below the screen?) for a good-quality system head to fit, and there's zero integration with the built-in sound. It's possible some company will produce a Tesla-specific aftermarket system in the future, but at the moment, I think the Hi-fi system is the only way to even get a subwoofer in a Model S.
There's a company called Reus in LA doing Tesla installs using the stock locations. There's some threads on here and people happy with them. There's also some posts by members saying they were ripped off by them in the past and to be careful. It was enough that I just decided to go with the UHFS package, even if it's not great, so I don't have to worry about it.

Thanks! I had never heard of the Reus upgrade. It seems like it's an amp + speakers, but doesn't address the source side of the system -- that is, you're still depending on the Tesla head end to do clean D/A conversion, live EQ, etc. While my ears are pretty good, I don't think I'd be willing to drop $4000 on just the output end.

One correction: The Parking Sensors do have the ability to mute the Audio. In other words, you can turn the beeps off (at least according to the info I've read) This was pivotal in me ordering it (I originally did not). It also has a "visual" representation that many systems (like the one in our Toyota) don't have, so it should work just fine without the beeping.

Sounds like you've done your homework! Welcome to the Club!

The air suspension has four settings: Low, Standard, High, and Very High. The spring suspension sits a bit higher than the air suspension. It's closer to the air on the High setting. While it's sort of nifty to be able to manually raise the car with the air suspension, it's sssllloooowww to raise up. Like, annoyingly slow. I only do it when I absolutely have to, which is on sharp ramps in parking garages to avoid scraping. The spring suspension on the equivalent of High means you shouldn't ever have to bother.

Go for the piano black if that's your favorite. It looks classy, sleek, and modern. That was my original choice until I decided to go with the performance, back in the old days when carbon fiber used to be exclusive to perf so I felt kind of obligated to get it. I don't regret it, but I agree CF is a bit played out. The matte effect and fine weave of Tesla's CF sets it a notch above other CF though.

Truly Pure Awesome.

The air suspension has four settings: Low, Standard, High, and Very High. The spring suspension sits a bit higher than the air suspension. It's closer to the air on the High setting. While it's sort of nifty to be able to manually raise the car with the air suspension, it's sssllloooowww to raise up. Like, annoyingly slow. I only do it when I absolutely have to, which is on sharp ramps in parking garages to avoid scraping. The spring suspension on the equivalent of High means you shouldn't ever have to bother.

Go for the piano black if that's your favorite. It looks classy, sleek, and modern. That was my original choice until I decided to go with the performance, back in the old days when carbon fiber used to be exclusive to perf so I felt kind of obligated to get it. I don't regret it, but I agree CF is a bit played out. The matte effect and fine weave of Tesla's CF sets it a notch above other CF though.

Yes, Gizmotoy. Sounds like you and I are pretty well aligned on the ideal build. Except I haven't ordered mine yet!

Congrats DIL. Looks like we ordered pretty similar cars!

It is. 0.63" lower in standard, if I recall. It sits higher than my current car, which has never given me any trouble, so it's certainly not a necessity for everyone. Don't roll it over parking blocks and go up/down hills at an angle and you'll be fine. I navigated a giant slope near Santana Row in the coil suspension test car that had tons of scrapes and chunks of asphalt taken out of it. At an angle all was fine.

In my case, this was part of the issue. I would have been tempted to order the dual chargers, but I don't want to buy a HPWC I can't use. Despite what I've read here and elsewhere, Tesla refused to remove the HPWC from the order or allow its return for a refund. So I was on the fence and that made the decision for me.

I've used the twin chargers quite a bit, they are worth their weight in gold. It's all to easy to overestimate how ubiquitous the super charging network will ever be and to under estimate the value of your time sitting around waiting for the car to charge at an high powered L2 station, however infrequent that might be.

The Gas Shock and Coil Spring versions both sit at the same height from the ground at 6". With the Coils you would be at the same height as the Gas Shocks are in Standard mode. Most people seem to feel that the Gas Shocks provide a smoother ride and do a better job of absorbing the small imperfections in the road, while the Coil Springs provide more road feel.

Last edited: