Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q3 collections, new owners tales and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, deceiving experience having to let my left hand off the steering wheel, stop looking at the road and aim at the mini green phone on the bottom right corner... surely there should be a safer way to do so.. Surprised I didn't came across this sooner on the forums...
If you didn’t laugh you’d cry…

So, in a Tesla, you can open the glovebox with a voice command, but can’t answer a phone call without taking your eyes off the road and taking a hand off the wheel to press a button on the screen 🙄

Maybe they are trying to get people to not use the phone while driving, which is a good thing, but way behind other “lesser tech” cars.

Just to say it is very much appreciated reading everyone's collection experience and initial impressions . Always pleased to see accompanied photos of these awesome cars!

Question to new owners on a very important topic that my kids will be keen to know the answer to. 😊

Have you connected/plugged in a games controller (we have plenty Xbox 1 controllers) to your model 3/Y and if so what was the best combo for this to work? I tried to search the threads but I am not able to track down any answers based around recent UK deliveries of model 3/Ys.

I have 3 more sleeps before pick up 🥳 and I know my kids and I will be looking forward to experiencing this cool (and possibly short lived?) feature in the car.

Many thanks!

I noticed three light scratches, passenger side windscreen after my Saturday pickup. Booked a service appointment through the app and took it in this morning. They initially wanted to replace the screen but I told them I only wanted them to try and buff them out. It’s better now but can still be seen.

Anyone have any tips for companies that do glass scratch removal, or products I can buy to DIY.

Everything else about the car is spot on.

Tesla have spare MY screens in stock, big improvement on M3 availability these past few months.

Reactions: _Dave_ and Daedalus
Just to say it is very much appreciated reading everyone's collection experience and initial impressions . Always pleased to see accompanied photos of these awesome cars!

Question to new owners on a very important topic that my kids will be keen to know the answer to. 😊

Have you connected/plugged in a games controller (we have plenty Xbox 1 controllers) to your model 3/Y and if so what was the best combo for this to work? I tried to search the threads but I am not able to track down any answers based around recent UK deliveries of model 3/Ys.

I have 3 more sleeps before pick up 🥳 and I know my kids and I will be looking forward to experiencing this cool (and possibly short lived?) feature in the car.

Many thanks!
Checkout the Q2 collections thread. If I recall correctly I think it was Busterboy that has this sussed and has installed a new bit of aftermarket kit to make it easier to connect.

Reactions: Daedalus
If you didn’t laugh you’d cry…

So, in a Tesla, you can open the glovebox with a voice command, but can’t answer a phone call without taking your eyes off the road and taking a hand off the wheel to press a button on the screen 🙄

Maybe they are trying to get people to not use the phone while driving, which is a good thing, but way behind other “lesser tech” cars.
It’s pretty amusing, Tesla over egg the tech aspect of their cars to a ridiculous extent. The technology is so far behind my old Land Rover (and anything like a contemporary BMW). Autopilot, for instance, is hopeless versus the Land Rover cruise assist/BMW equivalent.

Don’t get me wrong, they’re damn good cars and I’m delighted with mine and wouldn’t go back. Just being realistic over what it is and isn’t good at.

Funnily enough thats exactly what's happening - quiet ring tone and my apple watch doesn't alert me in the car, although it works fine everywhere else.

Have you tried adjusting the volume when the phone is ringing? In my previous few cars the volume control adjusts the current source, whether radio volume, radio traffic reports, sat NAV instructions, phone audio, phone ringtone etc etc

OK tried adjusting the volume with no joy still not ringing when a call comes through 🤷‍♂️ I have however worked out that going to the Bluetooth connection on iPhone and setting device type as "other" means my apple watch actually vibrates now. It's still annoying me that music doesn't pause and phone actually rings when a call comes in. I'll try and mess around some more probably at the weekend now

Reactions: HowieR and Markee68
It’s pretty amusing, Tesla over egg the tech aspect of their cars to a ridiculous extent. The technology is so far behind my old Land Rover (and anything like a contemporary BMW). Autopilot, for instance, is hopeless versus the Land Rover cruise assist/BMW equivalent.

Don’t get me wrong, they’re damn good cars and I’m delighted with mine and wouldn’t go back. Just being realistic over what it is and isn’t good at.
Interesting perspective and made me stop and think. My perception is that one of their key USP is the tech but not the quality, reliability etc. yet to experience (T-2). What would you say it is better at than others like LR/BMW?

Reactions: MashinBenzin
Have you tried adjusting the volume when the phone is ringing? In my previous few cars the volume control adjusts the current source, whether radio volume, radio traffic reports, sat NAV instructions, phone audio, phone ringtone etc etc
Thanks for the suggestion but made no difference. I've also noticed that the car only seems to sound the ring tone for about three rings then stops, although the ability to answer the call via the screen is still there.

I've got a service visit booked for next week as I just noticed a slightly misaligned headlight installation on the passenger side. Just a mm or two, but after spending all that money on a new car I want it perfect. I'll ask the service technician if he knows how to sort out the ringtone.

Reactions: Markee68

....but could your Land Rover fart?

Thanks for the suggestion but made no difference. I've also noticed that the car only seems to sound the ring tone for about three rings then stops, although the ability to answer the call via the screen is still there.

I've got a service visit booked for next week as I just noticed a slightly misaligned headlight installation on the passenger side. Just a mm or two, but after spending all that money on a new car I want it perfect. I'll ask the service technician if he knows how to sort out the ringtone.
Please let us know if you could figure it out? 👍

Please let me know if you get an answer to it because it's driving me crazy missed 2 calls today alone 🤦‍♂️ At least I've figured out how to make my apple watch alert me now but I don't always wear it because I love my old school mechanical watches 😆

Picked my MYLR 20" up today. Self service, no drama. Two charging cables, no usb stick, a couple pieces of tape and some glue residue left (comes off easily). Looked like it had been transported in rain, small specks of dirt. Otherwise no remarks, went through the whole Tesla Prep checklist.

Overall very happy with the car. Some first impressions coming from a 2015 Model S to the 2022 Model Y:

+ overall this appears to be a step or two up in build quality. No panel gaps, squeeking, or paint/chrome issues. More rigid body.
+ comfortable seats and great forward visibility
+ as all Teslas, it is plenty quick enough.
+ quieter (although still not on par with the quietest cars, and rumbles a fair amount on uneven roads, and some wind noise at 70+ mph)
+ I found the suspension to be fine comfort wise and appropriate for handling. Felt stable around corners. Bit of swaying back and forth on exceptionally uneven country lanes/driveways.
- I would not have minded better ground clearance - brushed the tarmac over a small bridge, as well as school speed bumps despite creeping Very Slowly over them on this first day of driving.
- I was surprised to find it does not seem to be possible to have the rear view camera on while driving on part of the screen? In the S, this compensated for poor rear visibility. Only the blind spot camera that comes up on lane shift (which can, thankfully, be moved up on the screen in the latest software).

Oh, and I could not figure out how to engage cruise control (single tap down on the drive stalk) and autosteer (double tap down). Had to do Actual Driving on the way home from the collection hub, before checking the manual once home.

Really enjoyed catching up on an episode of Drive To Survive on the screen while waiting for my daughter to finish sports practice in the evening. :cool:

Picked my MYLR 20" up today. Self service, no drama. Two charging cables, no usb stick, a couple pieces of tape and some glue residue left (comes off easily). Looked like it had been transported in rain, small specks of dirt. Otherwise no remarks, went through the whole Tesla Prep checklist.

Overall very happy with the car. Some first impressions coming from a 2015 Model S to the 2022 Model Y:

+ overall this appears to be a step or two up in build quality. No panel gaps, squeeking, or paint/chrome issues. More rigid body.
+ quieter (although still not on par with the quietest cars, and rumbles a fair amount on uneven roads, and some wind noise at 70+ mph)
+ I found the suspension to be fine comfort wise and appropriate for handling. Felt stable around corners. Bit of swaying back and forth on exceptionally uneven country lanes/driveways.
- I would not have minded better ground clearance - brushed the tarmac over a small bridge, as well as school speed bumps despite creeping Very Slowly over them on this first day of driving.
- I was surprised to find it does not seem to be possible to have the rear view camera on while driving on part of the screen? In the S, this compensated for poor rear visibility. Only the blind spot camera that comes up on lane shift (which can, thankfully, be moved up on the screen in the latest software).

Oh, and I could not figure out how to engage cruise control (single tap down on the drive stalk) and autosteer (double tap down). Had to do Actual Driving on the way home from the collection hub, before checking the manual once home.

Really enjoyed catching up on an episode of Drive To Survive on the screen while waiting for my daughter to finish sports practice in the evening. :cool:

How far was the drive from the delivery hub? Doesn’t autopilot need 35miles or so to calibrate the cameras and everything before you can start using it?

You can definitely have all 3 cameras up whilst driving it's a purple colour lens symbol brings up a view like this

Attachments

• 0FFF288A-3B56-453D-88E9-AF4AF93EB49F.png
    0FFF288A-3B56-453D-88E9-AF4AF93EB49F.png
    716.5 KB · Views: 79
How far was the drive from the delivery hub? Doesn’t autopilot need 35miles or so to calibrate the cameras and everything before you can start using it?
Yes I think you're right about that. "Calibrating" came up a few times on the display, although only for the first few miles of the 45 mile drive.

Once that is done, you still do need to know how to activate the auto steer (which I did not, worked on the first try with correct double tap on the right stalk after RTFM).