Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q3 collections, new owners tales and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So have put 211miles on my one since delivery last Wednesday,. My wife decreed that she was to have it today (promise I don’t track progress and view her parking via the app once parked up….. 😂) so I got back into our Tiguan for a short trip I needed to make . ………. Oh wow…. how quickly I have got used to one pedal driving. I was driving up to junctions etc and just taking my foot off and expecting actual breaking!!! Its only been 4 days, but the new way seems so right and the old way so wrong! Not sure if anyone else has experienced this phenomenon!!!

So have put 211miles on my one since delivery last Wednesday,. My wife decreed that she was to have it today (promise I don’t track progress and view her parking via the app once parked up….. 😂) so I got back into our Tiguan for a short trip I needed to make . ………. Oh wow…. how quickly I have got used to one pedal driving. I was driving up to junctions etc and just taking my foot off and expecting actual breaking!!! Its only been 4 days, but the new way seems so right and the old way so wrong! Not sure if anyone else has experienced this phenomenon!!!
Exactly that. My wife has a A class merc which i used to quite like. I would now rather walk (or just not go anywhere) when she has taken my Y..

A bit of sun today so its........accessory fit time :D FYI, all in the "best possible (personal) taste" of course! 😏 Plenty of pics (10 max) for your perusal. FYI, ALL the lettering and badges on these cars is chrome-plated plastic, which, to me, is really odd for a `chrome-delete` model?
Any-road-up, here is todays proceedings, any questions, fire away.......

Attachments

• Nose view at collection-At a glance, can you tell its a Tesla with that naff (plastic) chrome ...JPG
    Nose view at collection-At a glance, can you tell its a Tesla with that naff (plastic) chrome ...JPG
    1,004.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Much better! M-Black `metal` Tesla `T` (especially on white).JPG
    Much better! M-Black `metal` Tesla `T` (especially on white).JPG
    575.6 KB · Views: 53
  • NOW its recognisable as a Tesla!.JPG
    NOW its recognisable as a Tesla!.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 52
  • TOP=O-E front-only mud flap (now removed) Replaced by LOWER=a more sculptured-quality set of 4...JPG
    TOP=O-E front-only mud flap (now removed) Replaced by LOWER=a more sculptured-quality set of 4...JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 58
  • Newly fitted `Matt-Black` ABS rear lip (same as the rest of the cars black chrome delete look).JPG
    Newly fitted `Matt-Black` ABS rear lip (same as the rest of the cars black chrome delete look).JPG
    2 MB · Views: 54
  • Fantastic and secure fit to bodywork (nice one TESMANIAN (US).JPG
    Fantastic and secure fit to bodywork (nice one TESMANIAN (US).JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 52
  • Smooth matt black ABS spoiler-lip and m-black metal badges.JPG
    Smooth matt black ABS spoiler-lip and m-black metal badges.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 45
  • Smooth M-Black ABS spoiler lip with new m-black metal lettering! (Black underline to sig nify ...JPG
    Smooth M-Black ABS spoiler lip with new m-black metal lettering! (Black underline to sig nify ...JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 53
  • On charge using my home-built extending swing-arm cable boom!.JPG
    On charge using my home-built extending swing-arm cable boom!.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 50
  • Another view of my DIY extending charge-cable boom.JPG
    Another view of my DIY extending charge-cable boom.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 50
I have EAP. When I indicate to change lane the new lane is highlighted in blue with a dotted line of where the car will go. A very slight pressure in that direction and the car does the lane change. Slightly too much pressure and autopilot disengages as I’ve made a steering input

Ah ha, that explains it… shows how much I know, I thought you just indicated and let the car change lanes assuming safe to do so, didn’t realise you had to nudge it. My guess is that is a requirement to make you responsible legally. Shame ‘cos I rather liked the “just indicate” idea.

Reactions: Daedalus
Ah ha, that explains it… shows how much I know, I thought you just indicated and let the car change lanes assuming safe to do so, didn’t realise you had to nudge it. My guess is that is a requirement to make you responsible legally. Shame ‘cos I rather liked the “just indicate” idea.
Looking good. Could you share a link for the chrome delete logos please

Collected mine Today. Put 279 miles on the clock. It’s incredible, couldn’t see any issues when collecting at Glasgow.

I’ll post pictures once it’s washed 😅. Not sure what people are on about stiff suspension it feels like floating on a cushion compared to my other car!

Auto beam is useless and the auto wipers being slow are the only two sour notes but hardly an issue. Might see if I can get a service appointment or change the headlights myself. A few people flashed me thinking I had high beam on but it think it is just the dip beam being a little too high.

Today was my collection day from Manchester.
Arrived for 1030 and a small queue to sign for the car. Great service from check in staff.

Lots of cars ready to collect there. Spotted mine as we walked up, so took keys and went over.

The car is great, obviously looks great with #TeamBlue / 20s. Lots of white & Black cars to contrast.

The car was faultless. A bit dusty, but I’d rather that than the Brillo pad. I completed the full checklist, but must admit some of it was a quick check. Still got on my knees and looked underneath etc.

I spent quite some time selecting all the preferred settings in the touchscreen options.

Six miles on the odometer.

Finally drove 1 mile around to the superchargers at the other side of the Trafford centre. Car was on 46% and topped up to 80% for the drive home; this cost about £20 but was keen to check all worked and not to arrive home with a low charge.

Remembered to set up the Tessie app before I drove home! 1 month free trial.
Hit me up for a referral for the same.

Drove out onto the M60, camera calibration took around 10 miles. I soon after turned on EAP. This is fantastic. Drove about 80miles without really driving as we previously knew it.

Changing lanes on EAP takes some practice. Not too much force on steering wheel, but just enough to confirm and then let it do its thing.

Wipers dry wiped a few times 😂 told Mrs T this was all part of owning a Tesla. I think this was caused by water marks on the screen

Funny thing is that when it did start to rain I felt the need to trigger a single wipe manually, as it was a bit tardy. You’ve got to love it. 🌧️

Did I mention how good EAP was? I know I did, but it is so good!

Got the car home, Mrs T has driven it for the first time and likes it 😅

Have tested out the home charger and all works fine. The start/stop did interrupt the kids gaming though on the screen 😂

Photos for your viewing pleasure. Any questions please shout.

Attachments

• 884FACDF-3BF3-4BAA-A078-66AE834CF007.jpeg
    884FACDF-3BF3-4BAA-A078-66AE834CF007.jpeg
    540.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 1AF29E36-2AD1-4E9A-BFB3-75FFBB8A4E96.jpeg
    1AF29E36-2AD1-4E9A-BFB3-75FFBB8A4E96.jpeg
    692.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 31C75EB4-EC18-43CC-A2B3-D35060696C4D.jpeg
    31C75EB4-EC18-43CC-A2B3-D35060696C4D.jpeg
    430.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 8ACBA622-E0C9-4E3E-8D59-77C8C620D861.jpeg
    8ACBA622-E0C9-4E3E-8D59-77C8C620D861.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
My blue beauty went to the service centre on Friday for the weird spots in the paint to get sorted. Was given a Model S loan car which I was quite excited to try but actually didn't really like it. It felt a bit heavy and cumbersome to drive compared to the Y. Had to go back to the SC today as there was no CCS adapter in the loaner and my car was ready ahead of time. Paint sorted, looks amazing and I'm thinking about ceramic coating now.

Attachments

• IMG_0197.JPG
    IMG_0197.JPG
    892.3 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Reactions: Andenan
A bit of sun today so its........accessory fit time :D FYI, all in the "best possible (personal) taste" of course! 😏 Plenty of pics (10 max) for your perusal. FYI, ALL the lettering and badges on these cars is chrome-plated plastic, which, to me, is really odd for a `chrome-delete` model?
Any-road-up, here is todays proceedings, any questions, fire away.......
Congrats. That ev arm looks good. 👍🏻, have you done it yourself?

Arrived for 1030 and a small queue to sign for the car. Great service from check in staff.

Lots of cars ready to collect there. Spotted mine as we walked up, so took keys and went over.

The car is great, obviously looks great with #TeamBlue / 20s. Lots of white & Black cars to contrast.

The car was faultless. A bit dusty, but I’d rather that than the Brillo pad. I completed the full checklist, but must admit some of it was a quick check. Still got on my knees and looked underneath etc.

I spent quite some time selecting all the preferred settings in the touchscreen options.

Finally drove 1 mile around to the superchargers at the other side of the Trafford centre. Car was on 46% and topped up to 80% for the drive home; this cost about £20 but was keen to check all worked and not to arrive home with a low charge.

Drove out onto the M60, camera calibration took around 10 miles. I soon after turned on EAP. This is fantastic. Drove about 80miles without really driving as we previously knew it.

Changing lanes on EAP takes some practice. Not too much force on steering wheel, but just enough to confirm and then let it do its thing.

Wipers dry wiped a few times 😂 told Mrs T this was all part of owning a Tesla. I think this was caused by water marks on the screen

Funny thing is that when it did start to rain I felt the need to trigger a single wipe manually, as it was a bit tardy. You’ve got to love it. 🌧️

Have tested out the home charger and all works fine. The start/stop did interrupt the kids gaming though on the screen 😂

Finally, looks amazing mate I know how much you've been watching everyone collect and wishing your days away for yours, so glad you've had a great experience and love it.

Glad you finally have it and love it.

Intrigued by yours and another guy’s comments on EAP the last day or two. I loathe the disengagement of standard AP when changing lanes (I know the right process to keep the active cruise engaged, just hate the clunky way the auto steer disengages).

I might see if the local store has a Y demo with EAP and upgrade mine if it works well. I didn’t like the way it changed lanes abruptly in the Model X back in 2018 but I’m sure they’ve honed it since.

Reactions: Toblerone
I did an unorthodox experience on the Model Y delivery thread - but should probably do a "normal" one here.

• Pick up as we all know = zero fuss. So little fuss indeed that I had to help an elderly couple get into their car. They were furious that Tesla didn't take them to their car and didn't show them how to use it (I was like, ummm don't you read on the forums? They don't seem the type). They were very grateful to me but did say "this is our 3rd EV so we don't have that excitement anymore". First song I played in the car was by Kendrick Lamar "Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe". Lovely couple though.
  • Car fit was immaculate. No panel misalignments, no nothing.
  • Car finish, hmmm, it was so so. I gather the car had been sat there for 3 or so days and they did try to clean it. There are some very clear swirl marks but I was going to take it to the detailer anyway. Now I’m thinking, do I have enough of a case to raise it to Tesla and play the "this is a 55k car!" card and have them pay? I’m not the type and part of me can't be arsed. If it weren't for that, the car paint would be immaculate and, I’m sure it was, coming out of the factory.
  • Odometer = 6 miles
  • SoC = 47%
  • Cabin noise at 60+ was surprisingly quiet. Honestly why people complain is beyond me. It was delightful. And anyway, who cruises around without music on?
  • Speaking of, the sound system is incredible. I also love the Spotify integration; just like browsing on the App on any other device. After almost 2 years of CarPlay, I can't see why people would take that over the default software. I can't wait to try Tidal (I unfortunately missed out on the £1 subscription via Argentinian VPN - seems they caught on)
  • Navigation. I saw some people complain before. Apart from Waze taking you down back roads to avoid traffic when it's bad (and waze's UI on CarPlay is atrocious, by the way), I actually think this is better than Apple Maps and maybe on par with Google. I dunno, I was very impressed and couldn't understand why some people complained. I love the voice alerts too - even that is on par with Apple/Google.
  • The ride is also incredible. Are there times where, when driving low speeds and you drive over multiple pot holes on both sides, the car crashes around a bit? Yes. But honestly it's not that bad. 95% of the time I’m thinking "wow that felt nice over that bump" or "ooh it took that in it's stride". Overall, very impressed
  • They must've worked on the noise coming from the suspension as well - the test car definitely had a boom noise going over bumps, this one - none whatsoever
  • Took 10 miles to calibrate AP
  • Adaptive cruise control. Now, I have my way of driving - like we all do. In traffic for example, when the car in front sets off, I make it a game to myself to take off at precisely the same time and at the same rate, all the while looking at the car ahead to watch out for sudden stops (I believe this makes the traffic more efficient and if everyone drove like me.... well, wouldn't the world be a better place! I jest..). The Tesla definitely takes it's time for the car ahead before taking off and when it does, it accelerates far harder than I would have (if I'm not at the front of the lights of course). It also stops/slows down far later than I would. It's good - just not me good :)P), and I think I'll only use it when I'm super lazy or if on long stretches of motorway.
  • The acceleration. Wow, I think they even made it faster than the test car? It's amazing! But yes, I’m still getting the acceleration boost (don't tell the missus!)
  • The steering is so direct, I love it. I remember the 3 feeling amazing too but for it's size, I think this is certainly a car that inspires confidence (not that that's always a good thing. Confidence does not always equal safer. Drive safe out there people (I'm telling myself this too)).
  • Charging. We live in an apartment block and half of the parking bays have podpoint chargers. Now, I've been hassling the building manager to get it activated for me and, well, he's kinda useless and didn't. BUT. I plugged it in, and it started charging which begs the question... who is paying for the charge!?!? I felt bad so took it out - will have to talk to him tomorrow morning to figure it out
  • Some other bits: I was waiting for my partner in a cafe and I sat in the car fiddling around. I went to theatre to log into Netflix. I did so but how the hell do you exit the app? I had to put it into drive to exit but surely there's another way? Same with YouTube.
  • Some guy almost reversed into me. I had to honk for him to stop. I then promptly put on the megaphone to say "what you doing mate?". I don't think he heard me but felt pretty good.
  • I kept watching sentry mode from my phone while I was out and about. I’m sure I'll break the habit but felt so novel and cool.
I think that's about it. Enjoy you car people; and those who are still waiting - it's soooo worth it. Hold on just a little long.

Last edited:

Intrigued by yours and another guy’s comments on EAP the last day or two. I loathe the disengagement of standard AP when changing lanes (I know the right process to keep the active cruise engaged, just hate the clunky way the auto steer disengages).

I might see if the local store has a Y demo with EAP and upgrade mine if it works well. I didn’t like the way it changed lanes abruptly in the Model X back in 2018 but I’m sure they’ve honed it since.
I’d say it changes lane less quickly than I do naturally. It’s quite a gradual slide across instead of a positive, decisive motion

Loving these write ups, glad to see so many happy people!

It’s my birthday today; I’m taking one of the kids to a friends house for a birthday party that he’s going to, then over to Gatwick to pick up family returning from their hols (their car has been parked at mine), back to my house for a bit, then over to Croydon to collect son from party, dropping his mate off in Epsom en route to back home - I will spend most of the day in the car, and that is ideal! Couldn’t ask for a better way to spend the day 😃

Where abouts are you based? I've got EAP on mine if you struggle to get one from test drive give me a shout happy to let you try it. My view it's OK I would generally change lanes faster and with less distance in front of the car behind, I've even had instances of a car flashing me out and it wouldn't change. So it's not seamless and was better implemented on our XC90 imo but it's good 80%of the time.

I did an unorthodox experience on the Model Y delivery thread - but should probably do a "normal" one here.

• Pick up as we all know = zero fuss. So little fuss indeed that I had to help an elderly couple get into their car. They were furious that Tesla didn't take them to their car and didn't show them how to use it (I was like, ummm don't you read on the forums? They don't seem the type). They were very grateful to me but did say "this is our 3rd EV so we don't have that excitement anymore". First song I played in the car was by Kendrick Lamar "Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe". Lovely couple though.
  • Car fit was immaculate. No panel misalignments, no nothing.
  • Car finish, hmmm, it was so so. I gather the car had been sat there for 3 or so days and they did try to clean it. There are some very clear swirl marks but I was going to take it to the detailer anyway. Now I’m thinking, do I have enough of a case to raise it to Tesla and play the "this is a 55k car!" card and have them pay? I’m not the type and part of me can't be arsed. If it weren't for that, the car paint would be immaculate and, I’m sure it was, coming out of the factory.
  • Odometer = 6 miles
  • SoC = 47%
  • Cabin noise at 60+ was surprisingly quiet. Honestly why people complain is beyond me. It was delightful. And anyway, who cruises around without music on?
  • Speaking of, the sound system is incredible. I also love the Spotify integration; just like browsing on the App on any other device. After almost 2 years of CarPlay, I can't see why people would take that over the default software. I can't wait to try Tidal (I unfortunately missed out on the £1 subscription via Argentinian VPN - seems they caught on)
  • Navigation. I saw some people complain before. Apart from Waze taking you down back roads to avoid traffic when it's bad (and waze's UI on CarPlay is atrocious, by the way), I actually think this is better than Apple Maps and maybe on par with Google. I dunno, I was very impressed and couldn't understand why some people complained. I love the voice alerts too - even that is on par with Apple/Google.
  • The ride is also incredible. Are there times where, when driving low speeds and you drive over multiple pot holes on both sides, the car crashes around a bit? Yes. But honestly it's not that bad. 95% of the time I’m thinking "wow that felt nice over that bump" or "ooh it took that in it's stride". Overall, very impressed
  • They must've worked on the noise coming from the suspension as well - the test car definitely had a boom noise going over bumps, this one - none whatsoever
  • Took 10 miles to calibrate AP
  • Adaptive cruise control. Now, I have my way of driving - like we all do. In traffic for example, when the car in front sets off, I make it a game to myself to take off at precisely the same time and at the same rate, all the while looking at the car ahead to watch out for sudden stops (I believe this makes the traffic more efficient and if everyone drove like me.... well, wouldn't the world be a better place! I jest..). The Tesla definitely takes it's time for the car ahead before taking off and when it does, it accelerates far harder than I would have (if I'm not at the front of the lights of course). It also stops/slows down far later than I would. It's good - just not me good :)P), and I think I'll only use it when I'm super lazy or if on long stretches of motorway.
  • The acceleration. Wow, I think they even made it faster than the test car? It's amazing! But yes, I’m still getting the acceleration boost (don't tell the missus!)
  • The steering is so direct, I love it. I remember the 3 feeling amazing too but for it's size, I think this is certainly a car that inspires confidence (not that that's always a good thing. Confidence does not always equal safer. Drive safe out there people (I'm telling myself this too)).
  • Charging. We live in an apartment block and half of the parking bays have podpoint chargers. Now, I've been hassling the building manager to get it activated for me and, well, he's kinda useless and didn't. BUT. I plugged it in, and it started charging which begs the question... who is paying for the charge!?!? I felt bad so took it out - will have to talk to him tomorrow morning to figure it out
  • Some other bits: I was waiting for my partner in a cafe and I sat in the car fiddling around. I went to theatre to log into Netflix. I did so but how the hell do you exit the app? I had to put it into drive to exit but surely there's another way? Same with YouTube.
  • Some guy almost reversed into me. I had to honk for him to stop. I then promptly put on the megaphone to say "what you doing mate?". I don't think he heard me but felt pretty good.
  • I kept watching sentry mode from my phone while I was out and about. I’m sure I'll break the habit but felt so novel and cool.
I think that's about it. Enjoy you car people; and those who are still waiting - it's soooo worth it. Hold on just a little long.
If I could pay £2k on the app to upgrade to CarPlay, I would.

The Tesla UI is atrocious with so much screen space taken up with pointless information. The music (next tracks) list is shorter then on the 10” screen on my old car and each individual song title is probably half the size. Which combined with a jiggly ride makes it harder to hit. It’s literally on a par with selecting a song in our 2013 Auris.

Love the car, dislike a lot of the very low standard and needlessly poorly-designed tech. They could fix this stuff in a minor point release.

And the nav sucks. Tesla/Google nav will happily make me spend 30 minutes on a two mile journey that waze will effortlessly reroute to 4 miles and ten minutes. I don’t need it to help me find places, I do need it to tell me where the traffic really is and route me sensibly.