Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q3 collections, new owners tales and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did an unorthodox experience on the Model Y delivery thread - but should probably do a "normal" one here.

• Pick up as we all know = zero fuss. So little fuss indeed that I had to help an elderly couple get into their car. They were furious that Tesla didn't take them to their car and didn't show them how to use it (I was like, ummm don't you read on the forums? They don't seem the type). They were very grateful to me but did say "this is our 3rd EV so we don't have that excitement anymore". First song I played in the car was by Kendrick Lamar "Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe". Lovely couple though.
  • Car fit was immaculate. No panel misalignments, no nothing.
  • Car finish, hmmm, it was so so. I gather the car had been sat there for 3 or so days and they did try to clean it. There are some very clear swirl marks but I was going to take it to the detailer anyway. Now I’m thinking, do I have enough of a case to raise it to Tesla and play the "this is a 55k car!" card and have them pay? I’m not the type and part of me can't be arsed. If it weren't for that, the car paint would be immaculate and, I’m sure it was, coming out of the factory.
  • Odometer = 6 miles
  • SoC = 47%
  • Cabin noise at 60+ was surprisingly quiet. Honestly why people complain is beyond me. It was delightful. And anyway, who cruises around without music on?
  • Speaking of, the sound system is incredible. I also love the Spotify integration; just like browsing on the App on any other device. After almost 2 years of CarPlay, I can't see why people would take that over the default software. I can't wait to try Tidal (I unfortunately missed out on the £1 subscription via Argentinian VPN - seems they caught on)
  • Navigation. I saw some people complain before. Apart from Waze taking you down back roads to avoid traffic when it's bad (and waze's UI on CarPlay is atrocious, by the way), I actually think this is better than Apple Maps and maybe on par with Google. I dunno, I was very impressed and couldn't understand why some people complained. I love the voice alerts too - even that is on par with Apple/Google.
  • The ride is also incredible. Are there times where, when driving low speeds and you drive over multiple pot holes on both sides, the car crashes around a bit? Yes. But honestly it's not that bad. 95% of the time I’m thinking "wow that felt nice over that bump" or "ooh it took that in it's stride". Overall, very impressed
  • They must've worked on the noise coming from the suspension as well - the test car definitely had a boom noise going over bumps, this one - none whatsoever
  • Took 10 miles to calibrate AP
  • Adaptive cruise control. Now, I have my way of driving - like we all do. In traffic for example, when the car in front sets off, I make it a game to myself to take off at precisely the same time and at the same rate, all the while looking at the car ahead to watch out for sudden stops (I believe this makes the traffic more efficient and if everyone drove like me.... well, wouldn't the world be a better place! I jest..). The Tesla definitely takes it's time for the car ahead before taking off and when it does, it accelerates far harder than I would have (if I'm not at the front of the lights of course). It also stops/slows down far later than I would. It's good - just not me good :)P), and I think I'll only use it when I'm super lazy or if on long stretches of motorway.
  • The acceleration. Wow, I think they even made it faster than the test car? It's amazing! But yes, I’m still getting the acceleration boost (don't tell the missus!)
  • The steering is so direct, I love it. I remember the 3 feeling amazing too but for it's size, I think this is certainly a car that inspires confidence (not that that's always a good thing. Confidence does not always equal safer. Drive safe out there people (I'm telling myself this too)).
  • Charging. We live in an apartment block and half of the parking bays have podpoint chargers. Now, I've been hassling the building manager to get it activated for me and, well, he's kinda useless and didn't. BUT. I plugged it in, and it started charging which begs the question... who is paying for the charge!?!? I felt bad so took it out - will have to talk to him tomorrow morning to figure it out
  • Some other bits: I was waiting for my partner in a cafe and I sat in the car fiddling around. I went to theatre to log into Netflix. I did so but how the hell do you exit the app? I had to put it into drive to exit but surely there's another way? Same with YouTube.
  • Some guy almost reversed into me. I had to honk for him to stop. I then promptly put on the megaphone to say "what you doing mate?". I don't think he heard me but felt pretty good.
  • I kept watching sentry mode from my phone while I was out and about. I’m sure I'll break the habit but felt so novel and cool.
I think that's about it. Enjoy you car people; and those who are still waiting - it's soooo worth it. Hold on just a little long.
Great report and very reassuring ahead of my collection in 3 days. I don’t recall any grey photos from the Q3 gang so mine might be the first set, but by that time everyone will have scattered and left the stage for Q4 undergrads. I guess the novelty and impact will be higher for me as I’m coming over from a 5yo X3 (last of the 2010/17 cars). Today, I will be parked 0.5miles from Tesla Glasgow so could be tempted to check if mine is now there. However, it also feels like 22nd December and I’m just “savouring” the run up to the big day. Is that weird or just happy contentment that all preps are done (payments, esign, insurance, essential accessories,etc) and hoping the day lives up to expectation. Wonder if anyone else felt same way and for all picking up this week, best wishes.

Last edited:
Great report and very reassuring ahead of my collection in 3 days. Unless I’ve been switched off I haven’t seen any grey photos from the Q3 gang. Maybe mine will be the first set but by that time everyone will have scattered and left the stage for the Q4 undergrads. I guess the novelty and impact of MY will be higher for me than most as I’m coming over from a 5yo X3 which was the very last of the older style (2010/17) cars; so pretty dated. Today, I will be parked up 0.5miles from Tesla Glasgow so could be tempted to check if mine is there. However, it also feels like 22nd December and I’m just “savouring” the run up to the big day. Is that weird or just happy contentment that everything’s done (payments, esign, insurance, essential accessories,etc) ahead of the day itself and hoping it lives up to expectation. Wonder if anyone else felt same way and for all picking up this week, best wishes.
I posted quite a few pics of my grey/induction pickup and subsequently.

• Informative
Reactions: StarbucksBob
  • Some other bits: I was waiting for my partner in a cafe and I sat in the car fiddling around. I went to theatre to log into Netflix. I did so but how the hell do you exit the app? I had to put it into drive to exit but surely there's another way? Same with YouTube.
  • Some guy almost reversed into me. I had to honk for him to stop. I then promptly put on the megaphone to say "what you doing mate?". I don't think he heard me but felt pretty good.
Also tried the Netflix thing and struggled to exit, then found it. Touch top right and a close X appears.

How do you use megaphone?

Had the car since yesterday. My life. What’s my options here? New tyre?
F863CCEE-D41E-4529-84E4-29DBA66EDAB8.jpeg

Congratulations to all who have collected their Mys recently.

I recall reading some comments a while ago that people were getting additional stand alone Road Side Assistance (RSA) as well.

Can I please seek opinions on the RSA included with MYs? Is anyone considering getting additional RSa such as via their insurance policy or directly? Or does the Tesla Road Side Assistance suffice?

Thanks in advance

Glad you finally have it and love it.

Intrigued by yours and another guy’s comments on EAP the last day or two. I loathe the disengagement of standard AP when changing lanes (I know the right process to keep the active cruise engaged, just hate the clunky way the auto steer disengages).

I might see if the local store has a Y demo with EAP and upgrade mine if it works well. I didn’t like the way it changed lanes abruptly in the Model X back in 2018 but I’m sure they’ve honed it since.
Please check before doing this but I am pretty sure you can buy EAP and if you don't like it ask for a refund within x days. This may be due to the UK distance selling regs ( so might not apply to company owned cars) rather than any actual Tesla policy but I think it is still a thing.
in the past they have actually enabled it randomly for a week on my old M3 so I could try it. I missed the email and did not realise until the trial had already ended 🤣 But maybe it is possible to call them up and ask them for a trial? would make sense to allow this rather than making people who already own a car go to the showroom.

Reactions: MashinBenzin
3 weeks in and I've discovered chill mode 😂 I'm pleasantly surprised by it in fact I can't think of a better name it's really chilled, And suddenly my efficiency begins with a 3 😂😂😂😂 I can still see boost in my future but chill has really grown on me. The kids have ganged up on me this morning and for once in their short lives presented a united front for a puppy so my AB money has been stolen for now I reckon 🤦‍♂️ unless anyone has boxer puppies for free 😂

Congrats. That ev arm looks good. 👍🏻, have you done it yourself?
Thanks......yes I did make it. Thinking outside-the-box and based on the ridiculous prices being asked in the States, $300.00+ for dedicated units, I did a bit of re-purposing and put together all the parts needed for under £150.00 ( including buying and shipping from the US a H/D coated steel tube photographic Camera Boom) with stainless bolts/nuts and fittings, so great for outside use and it extends from 1mtr-to-2mtrs! So now I can either drive onto or reverse onto my drive, plug it in and not have the cable touching the ground, or the car at any time. Also makes it a joy to walk around the car, go to the garage etc and be able to walk underneath the boom/cable, so no trips and clean gear ☺️

Had the car since yesterday. My life. What’s my options here? New tyre?
View attachment 856711
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but personally I don’t think that’s in the repairable area of the tyre. It’s only the middle 3/4 of the tread that’s suitable for repair. You might find someone who’ll do it for you but that’s too near the tyre wall I reckon for your bigger named franchises to do. Sorry - you must be gutted! I had the same on a Golf GTI about 20 years ago - didn’t even make it home.

Reactions: Fleabag