Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q3 collections, new owners tales and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
a lot cheaper to replace when you curb them as well :)
@Jason71

In that regard, will they resist a light curbing sufficient not to wear down to the alloy wheel?
Also, yours, which I prefer (sold out at present) are not uberturbine-look, but apparently they also cover the vulnerable periphery. Such a pity the OEM aero covers don't do the job.
I prefer bright shiny alloys but not at the price of ongoing wheel rash anxiety.🥲

I was never precious about driving and parking the X3 and yet I only had one small knick on one wheel. I already have light rash to two of Lizzie's Gem's.
I might be over thinking it when parking🤔:)

My wife was vlogging the day I collected my MY from Southampton, that part might be interesting to some here, or anyone with a Q4 collection from there anyway.

Just remove the Suzi badges and replace with Tesla "T"'s then you can be a Tesla MY Q2 Team Red honorary member without having to have a Tesla. :)

Chris, enjoy.
P.S. Only 8 on the excited scale!? Shame on you Mr Composed. I broke the 1 to 10 scale at 15.:)

Reactions: DaveMGoT
Car did a strange thing yesterday - hard to describe though.

Two high beeps, but not the usual Tesla warning tone, these were more like pure tones (this is the bit I can’t describe - think more like a PC speaker maybe) and the steering noticeably pulled to the left and I had to wrestle it back (this is the other bit I can’t describe!)

Nothing on the screen, no warning (so not the corrective steering msg), nothing flashing in red. At the time the screen was saying the emergency SOS wasn’t available but I’d seen other messages override that. Tapping the SOS message showed a list of alerts (didn’t know you could do that) but nothing relating to this beep / steer weirdness.

At the time I was completing a roundabout to join a motorway slip road. No cruise control, no AP. Probably doing about 40. Dark outside.

Could it have been traction control or something like that? I wasn’t going crazy (I didn’t think) but that’s the only thing I can think of.

Car did a strange thing yesterday - hard to describe though.

Two high beeps, but not the usual Tesla warning tone, these were more like pure tones (this is the bit I can’t describe - think more like a PC speaker maybe) and the steering noticeably pulled to the left and I had to wrestle it back (this is the other bit I can’t describe!)

Nothing on the screen, no warning (so not the corrective steering msg), nothing flashing in red. At the time the screen was saying the emergency SOS wasn’t available but I’d seen other messages override that. Tapping the SOS message showed a list of alerts (didn’t know you could do that) but nothing relating to this beep / steer weirdness.

At the time I was completing a roundabout to join a motorway slip road. No cruise control, no AP. Probably doing about 40. Dark outside.

Could it have been traction control or something like that? I wasn’t going crazy (I didn’t think) but that’s the only thing I can think of.
I find on motorways with AP/ EAP off, if I change lanes without signally, she momentarily rebels until she sees it's a fait accompli.
Surely a safety feature to wake a dosing driver.

I always, without fail, signal on roundabouts so can't comment on that phenomenom.

Ah, I wonder if it was that.

I maybe hadn’t indicated left for the motorway slip and could have been a bit “racing line” in my path round the roundabout and off onto the slip, i.e crossing lanes without signalling.

Speaking of indicating, is it me or does it not like switching indicator direction, say like you might on a double mini roundabout. It seems you need to cancel, wait a moment and then signal the other direction.

Yes, I have found that, or not just a film pull and ‘click’ in the other direction, but hold also seems to work. I haven’t sat and played with this yet (to see if that works all the time, perhaps the pause is better like you said) but I’ve definitely been caught out turning off a roundabout, or two quick turns in opposite directions, and I’ve realised as the car is half way through the manoeuvre that I am no longer indicating. In these cases it seems to have just done the three indication flashes like like a short press down on the stalk).

On a related note; when I indicate right, I’d say 3/10 times I’ve flashed the lights at the same time by accident. Anyone else doing this? I’m trying to be very conscious that I’m not pulled toward me at the same time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy H
Actually, I am going to use the opportunity (a quiet 20mins on a Sunday morning!) to write up some things I've meant to.

1 month in, 1000 miles driven.
  • Driving:
    • We've come from a 2012 C-MAX. No assisted driving of any sort, no climate control etc.
    • Like the vast majority - I can't say how much I love this car. My wife is also grinning like a maniac when driving and giving the acceleration a heavy foot when the right opportunity arises.
    • For some that may remember a post I made after a week or so in (that was the first time I even tried using standard mode from chill to everyone's surprise!), I still drive in chill, the only time being when reaching some 60mph areas near us where I get to floor it. Wow.
    • I've done a 3hr drive (Surrey to Leicester) and back. Really enjoyed it, used TACC and Lane Assist a lot.
    • I didn't enjoy having to manually disengage and reengage LA each time I moved lanes (and the chimes - I must try Joe mode out), but I understand this is where basic AP ends and Adv AP begins. Otherwise; loved the feeling of relaxation from both.
    • Days go by where the brake doesn't get used!
  • Battery / Efficiency:
    • I tend to find we do lots of short drives of 10-30mins (taxying 2 kids around to/from places, wife commutes twice a week).
    • We are quite quickly getting down from 80% to 55-60% every other day, and with very substantial range remaining, I still feel the need to give a short charge overnight back to 80% from about 55%. Perhaps I'll relax more and let the car go 3-4 days at a time before charging from 30% ish (any thoughts to stay as I am, or move to this sometimes/all the time?).
    • With this being so reasonable in cost on the overnight rate, it's not an imposition.
  • Charging:
    • I did notice once time after plugging in that it was green and charging, but other than that, it's behaved itself totally. Each time, IO has delivered the charge per request, and all has been good.
  • Niggles/Gripes:
    • Per my post above; immediate indication to another direction following the opposite direction is catching me out a bit. Not sure if the answer in these admittedly rare cases is to pause between, if time allows, or just trying changing indication from one side to the other with the stalk being held down/up much longer.
    • Accidental flashing headlights - I'm sometimes flashing oncoming traffic by accident when indicating right. Clearly I'm pulling it toward me slightly as I lift the stalk up, but seems to be easily done (any one else? I notice in night driving and wonder how many times Ive done without noticing!)
    • Climate control - I'm struggling here as a noob. Sometimes I just want the heated seats on, but this puts cold air on too. I am not sure Auto setting is that helpful, or at least, do you all have it on Auto, but fiddle with the temp adjusting that to the desirable temp for the day and let Auto take it from there? I have put the seat heating shortcuts in the tray, which seems to do the trick, but not always (sometimes the blowers come on too). Again, I think it's down to the target temp? I've been through the manual, will have a bit of a better search of YouTube.
    • Folding mirrors/Save Location - this is a big one as I'm attempting daily. Leaving our house in most cases means some narrow roads. I am folding and clicking 'save location' but this is not working. I notice it is a quick flash of blue (or if I hold my finger on the button, a longer display of blue saying 'location saved') but it looks to my like it's absolutely not saving it (the 'location saved' does not stay on screen as soon as I lift my finger). I am using the live traffic maps, Spotify and live-cam views all fine otherwise, indicating no fault with the signal/connectivity.
    • This was our fault, but worth a note; we all jumped in the car one morning for the school run in the rain (this one time, due to the weather, it was with the intention of me jumping out with our son, walking the last bit, and my wife heading off to work in the car from there - me walking home in the rain, I digress ;) ). When we got into the car, we only half-noted that the car had chosen me, so my wife just changed the profile to her name on screen for the seating position. However, when we reached the school drop-off point, I jumped out and left the car (taking with my phone on me) she stopped for a minute, got into a mild exchange with another parent, hopped out the car to ask them nicely to reverse (lol, don't ask), and then when she got back in was totally baffled why the car was having none of it and she needed to go into the app to reactivate the car with her 'key'. A painful/stressful/embarrassing couple of mins. Like I said, this was our fault, and we'll be more aware if the wrong 'key' is recognised against the driver (that's gotta be a pretty rare scenario tbh!).
    • Curb rash. Yep. This was me. Did it last week, a grind on the front passenger side rim and the sound haunted me for the rest of the drive ('I can still heeear it'). If it had been my wife, I would have been sad but at least could be a bit smug and condescending - instead I'm just sad haha. Ah well, it's done now. Time to move on!
    • Spotify limitations - I am loving the speakers, sounds fantastic. I'll even admit I'm not hearing a difference between the low bitrate streaming vs HQ Spotify settings or downloads over bluetooth to our phones. However; some simple enhancements to functionality here would be a big help; clicking albums from songs shown to see the whole of that album, or adding to a playlist on the fly, all things you can do with the usual Spotify apps. I've got family Spotify and have added the account to that. I've made the car acc a follower of a bunch of playlists and we all add songs to the playlists from our phones, which the car picks up nicely. It'll do.
    • Tesla App (iOS) - I wish you could do a bit more here; top of my Wishlist would be to watch sentry recordings back.
    • Tesla UI - I don't have the previous iterations to compare to, but agreed there's things that could be improved. I have yet to do anything with energy or driving eficiency, I know there's an energy app... never seems to offer much, but I'm checking when I've arrived home. Is this something to view while driving? I will again have to look at YouTube, as Tesla don't offer much guidance (to new drivers/new EV owners).
That's long enough I'm sure! In order to not end on all those 'gripes' - I just have to say again, I'm looking for any opportunity to jump in the car and drive anywhere; couldn't be happier with the purchase. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
For some that may remember a post I made after a week or so in (that was the first time I even tried using standard mode from chill to everyone's surprise!)
I tried out 'chill mode' the other day (as an experiment) and when pulling out in front of a slower moving car it seemed to almost stall as it took ~1/2 a second or so to respond to the throttle! I ended up have to brake hard to save the day! I'm back to 'Standard mode' now as I want that instant acceleration when I really need it..

Reactions: Wattsisname
Ah, I wonder if it was that.

I maybe hadn’t indicated left for the motorway slip and could have been a bit “racing line” in my path round the roundabout and off onto the slip, i.e crossing lanes without signalling.

Speaking of indicating, is it me or does it not like switching indicator direction, say like you might on a double mini roundabout. It seems you need to cancel, wait a moment and then signal the other direction.
You are correct; once you have indicated, a further move to indicate simply cancels the previous move. eg Signal left and then to signal right either pull down to cancel and then up for right indication aor move up twice.

A member, @wanabeowner, I think, warned the Class of Q2 way back.

The Americans are not, unlike us in Europe, drenched in rounderbouts large, small and mini so this would not be such an issue.
You do get used it after a 100 French roundabouts on holiday.😀

Actually, I am going to use the opportunity (a quiet 20mins on a Sunday morning!) to write up some things I've meant to.

1 month in, 1000 miles driven.
  • Driving:
    • We've come from a 2012 C-MAX. No assisted driving of any sort, no climate control etc.
    • Like the vast majority - I can't say how much I love this car. My wife is also grinning like a maniac when driving and giving the acceleration a heavy foot when the right opportunity arises.
    • For some that may remember a post I made after a week or so in (that was the first time I even tried using standard mode from chill to everyone's surprise!), I still drive in chill, the only time being when reaching some 60mph areas near us where I get to floor it. Wow.
    • I've done a 3hr drive (Surrey to Leicester) and back. Really enjoyed it, used TACC and Lane Assist a lot.
    • I didn't enjoy having to manually disengage and reengage LA each time I moved lanes (and the chimes - I must try Joe mode out), but I understand this is where basic AP ends and Adv AP begins. Otherwise; loved the feeling of relaxation from both.
    • Days go by where the brake doesn't get used!
  • Battery / Efficiency:
    • I tend to find we do lots of short drives of 10-30mins (taxying 2 kids around to/from places, wife commutes twice a week).
    • We are quite quickly getting down from 80% to 55-60% every other day, and with very substantial range remaining, I still feel the need to give a short charge overnight back to 80% from about 55%. Perhaps I'll relax more and let the car go 3-4 days at a time before charging from 30% ish (any thoughts to stay as I am, or move to this sometimes/all the time?).
    • With this being so reasonable in cost on the overnight rate, it's not an imposition.
  • Charging:
    • I did notice once time after plugging in that it was green and charging, but other than that, it's behaved itself totally. Each time, IO has delivered the charge per request, and all has been good.
  • Niggles/Gripes:
    • Per my post above; immediate indication to another direction following the opposite direction is catching me out a bit. Not sure if the answer in these admittedly rare cases is to pause between, if time allows, or just trying changing indication from one side to the other with the stalk being held down/up much longer.
    • Accidental flashing headlights - I'm sometimes flashing oncoming traffic by accident when indicating right. Clearly I'm pulling it toward me slightly as I lift the stalk up, but seems to be easily done (any one else? I notice in night driving and wonder how many times Ive done without noticing!)
    • Climate control - I'm struggling here as a noob. Sometimes I just want the heated seats on, but this puts cold air on too. I am not sure Auto setting is that helpful, or at least, do you all have it on Auto, but fiddle with the temp adjusting that to the desirable temp for the day and let Auto take it from there? I have put the seat heating shortcuts in the tray, which seems to do the trick, but not always (sometimes the blowers come on too). Again, I think it's down to the target temp? I've been through the manual, will have a bit of a better search of YouTube.
    • Folding mirrors/Save Location - this is a big one as I'm attempting daily. Leaving our house in most cases means some narrow roads. I am folding and clicking 'save location' but this is not working. I notice it is a quick flash of blue (or if I hold my finger on the button, a longer display of blue saying 'location saved') but it looks to my like it's absolutely not saving it (the 'location saved' does not stay on screen as soon as I lift my finger). I am using the live traffic maps, Spotify and live-cam views all fine otherwise, indicating no fault with the signal/connectivity.
    • This was our fault, but worth a note; we all jumped in the car one morning for the school run in the rain (this one time, due to the weather, it was with the intention of me jumping out with our son, walking the last bit, and my wife heading off to work in the car from there - me walking home in the rain, I digress ;) ). When we got into the car, we only half-noted that the car had chosen me, so my wife just changed the profile to her name on screen for the seating position. However, when we reached the school drop-off point, I jumped out and left the car (taking with my phone on me) she stopped for a minute, got into a mild exchange with another parent, hopped out the car to ask them nicely to reverse (lol, don't ask), and then when she got back in was totally baffled why the car was having none of it and she needed to go into the app to reactivate the car with her 'key'. A painful/stressful/embarrassing couple of mins. Like I said, this was our fault, and we'll be more aware if the wrong 'key' is recognised against the driver (that's gotta be a pretty rare scenario tbh!).
    • Curb rash. Yep. This was me. Did it last week, a grind on the front passenger side rim and the sound haunted me for the rest of the drive ('I can still heeear it'). If it had been my wife, I would have been sad but at least could be a bit smug and condescending - instead I'm just sad haha. Ah well, it's done now. Time to move on!
    • Spotify limitations - I am loving the speakers, sounds fantastic. I'll even admit I'm not hearing a difference between the low bitrate streaming vs HQ Spotify settings or downloads over bluetooth to our phones. However; some simple enhancements to functionality here would be a big help; clicking albums from songs shown to see the whole of that album, or adding to a playlist on the fly, all things you can do with the usual Spotify apps. I've got family Spotify and have added the account to that. I've made the car acc a follower of a bunch of playlists and we all add songs to the playlists from our phones, which the car picks up nicely. It'll do.
    • Tesla App (iOS) - I wish you could do a bit more here; top of my Wishlist would be to watch sentry recordings back.
    • Tesla UI - I don't have the previous iterations to compare to, but agreed there's things that could be improved. I have yet to do anything with energy or driving eficiency, I know there's an energy app... never seems to offer much, but I'm checking when I've arrived home. Is this something to view while driving? I will again have to look at YouTube, as Tesla don't offer much guidance (to new drivers/new EV owners).
That's long enough I'm sure! In order to not end on all those 'gripes' - I just have to say again, I'm looking for any opportunity to jump in the car and drive anywhere; couldn't be happier with the purchase. Thanks for reading!
Thanks for for that, very good. I will be rereading it.
I love that whatever any of us write about our Y's here, we would rather be out driving them.....despite any niggles.

Reactions: _Dave_
First real annoyance with the car today. It’s dry. Not even the lightest of drizzle. Screen is clear. I’ve checked. No wet leaves or anything of any sort in the bottom of the screen. Every engagement if TACC results in the wipers coming on. Can’t be stopped. Only solution is to disengage cruise and then stop the wipers

I understand why TACC needs auto wipers on but I don’t understand why the wipers want to wipe a dry screen

Ha,ha! It would terrify me to drive over 25mph in any situation. If the fold was required to pass a width barrier then again 25mph?

I dare say I have got the wrong end of the stick in that there is a valid reason for 25mph without mirrors.🤔😀
Hah, I was thinking the same when I first read that (and I’m certain my issue of location not saving is occurring when I try whilst crawling at 5-10 mph too).

But I will agree with that statement of @Sparky750 ’s, if driving down narrow, twisty lanes (again, roads I know well) with some blind corners, I sometimes close the mirrors in prep of that 1-2min stretch so that if a car does come round a corner a little unexpectedly, I only have to deal with slowing slightly and making sure I’m well positioned - not having to also quickly bringing up the menu and press fold mirrors (I do want to make clear I’m talking about going 30 in a 30 and slowing to 20-25, not some daredevil antics!).

First real annoyance with the car today. It’s dry. Not even the lightest of drizzle. Screen is clear. I’ve checked. No wet leaves or anything of any sort in the bottom of the screen. Every engagement if TACC results in the wipers coming on. Can’t be stopped. Only solution is to disengage cruise and then stop the wipers

I understand why TACC needs auto wipers on but I don’t understand why the wipers want to wipe a dry screen
I should have added wipers to my list above! (It’s sounding like a have a big list of big problems, but they’re mostly minor in reality).

I’ve had only one occasion where they came on in totally dry weather, but have had a few occasions where it’s started raining enough to have the screen obscured and they’ve not kicked in. I have half-clicked in the left stalk button to make them come on in that instance (or used the menu and quickly tapped a wiper speed then back to auto). It behaves pretty well on the whole tho.

Ha,ha! It would terrify me to drive over 25mph in any situation. If the fold was required to pass a width barrier then again 25mph?

I dare say I have got the wrong end of the stick in that there is a valid reason for 25mph without mirrors.🤔😀

It's more on a particular country Lane near us, if there's another car coming the other way slow down mirrors in, once clear speed up the mirrors auto open then another car appears repeat the process. In our other cars you can fold the mirrors when turning into the lane and then open them again at the other end saving the endless oakiecokie all the way