Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question on adding an HEPA filter to a MX without PUP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dunno. Before the PUP change recently where it became standard, it made perfect sense for them to not do these sales. My guess with their thinking was that if you wanted that part (and consequently the HEPA filter), you paid for the PUP-grade.

As for now though, not sure. I guess things are still the same. Those that don't have the PUP got the $$ discount when they passed it up. Does Tesla even offer an after-sale PUP-grade anymore? (I'm too lazy at the moment to search to answer this myself. :p;)).

Just went through this myself. No, they won't install the firmware update that adds the "Bioweapon" button. The button is purely cosmetic and just blips the fan to 9 for a few seconds to cause positive pressure in the cabin... but they won't enable it on non-PUP cars.

I just had the HEPA filter installed on my July build non pup 75D last week at my local service center. Sent an email to order the filter, the advisors asked me for my vin, ordered the part and offered to install it. Total cost came out to be $260 after taxes.

Cost was the same for me. I just asked for the filter, without mentioning the BW this time and they sold it no problem. Definitely ask by part number and you shouldn't have an issue... that $260 was with install, so I didn't even have to mess with it. Was glad to pay the extra to not have to tear apart the front, even as easy as it is.

Cost was the same for me. I just asked for the filter, without mentioning the BW this time and they sold it no problem. Definitely ask by part number and you shouldn't have an issue... that $260 was with install, so I didn't even have to mess with it. Was glad to pay the extra to not have to tear apart the front, even as easy as it is.
When did you order the part?

@Yinn, Thanks for the link. Sure a big difference in cost between S and X versions of filter. Is there a You Tube short of how to open up the space to insert the filter? Thanks all..

The filter arrived today, the one from Amazon. It is in two pieces. No instructions of course. Does anyone tape these filters in place in order to assure there is no leakage or is it a tight enough fit that there is no need? I'm going to install tomorrow morning.

The filter arrived today, the one from Amazon. It is in two pieces. No instructions of course. Does anyone tape these filters in place in order to assure there is no leakage or is it a tight enough fit that there is no need? I'm going to install tomorrow morning.

You fold it open like book. No need to tape together. Just make sure you install with correct air flow arrow. Also push the filter all the way into the inner frame. It does fit nice and tight.

Reactions: K3Man