Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question on being multiple software updates behind

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just traded in my 2014 MS with HW1 for a 2016 MS with HW2 and enhanced autopilot last weekend. When I took delivery there was a software update pending logo already. The software version on the car is 17.14.23 which looking at what others have reported as best as I can tell is 4 updates behind. So the car is just like when I got my 2014 car before there were any automated features in HW1. When I got home that night I attempted the update which failed.

My two questions are:

1) I have done everything that I can think of the "encourage" another update such as connecting via wifi at work and home, as well performing a hard reset of the CPU. I understand that the service center wifi trick no longer works. Are there any other tricks to increase the likelihood of an update?

2) When it finally does happen would you expect an incremental update to the current version or just get the latest version?

Thanks

...Are there any other tricks to increase the likelihood of an update?...

Service Center can manually push a latest firmware to your car but I am not sure they would do it due workload.

...latest version...

Just a guess: You would get the latest version 17.18.50 provided it's your turn. Otherwise your car will skip older ones such as 17.14.35, 17.16.35... and you'll get 17.17.17 which is still not latest.

By the way, my version is 17.11.10 while others have reported that they got:

17.14.23 (just like your current one)

and I'll just have to patiently wait for my turn.

Service Center can manually push a latest firmware to your car but I am not sure they would do it due workload.

Just a guess: You would get the latest version 17.18.50 provided it's your turn. Otherwise your car will skip older ones such as 17.14.35, 17.16.35... and you'll get 17.17.17 which is still not latest.

By the way, my version is 17.11.10 while others have reported that they got:

17.14.23 (just like your current one)

and I'll just have to patiently wait for my turn.

Half of what you list isn't for AP2.

OP you'll get only the latest and greatest when you get the update. If it failed I'd call customer support and get them to push another. 17.17.x are major updates with more features that AP1 has.

It's common for cars not to get every update.

Every time Tesla pushes a major release, it's usually done with a start-stop release process, with the update going to batches of cars each day, and the process stopped each time a major problem is discovered, and then restarted once a fix has been made.

After having our first Model S for over 4 years, we haven't experienced any issues with skipping over intermediate releases.

Our S 100D is still on 17.17.4, and I wouldn't be surprised to see other cars get several additional AP2 updates before we get back to the top of the queue again - and get our next update.

The only reliable way to get the latest update is during a service visit, since the Service Centers will usually try to install the latest update whenever cars come in for service. For a while you could also drive over to a Service Center and get the update pushed over their wifi network, but Tesla no longer supports that (which would kill their Service Centers when the Model 3's go into production).

Tesla should consider making this process more transparent, and provide customers more control over when updates are installed. Some customers will want to get the latest and greatest as soon as possible. Others would prefer to wait a while and let Tesla fix the obvious bugs in new releases before updating their cars. And there are likely quite a few of us who would be willing to do more to help Tesla find those bugs, if Tesla would open up the beta program.

They had made a tech case for my car to try and get it to update remotely and it wouldn't do it. So I brought it into the SC. The car updated there from start to finish in 20 minutes to version 17.17.17. I was amazed at how fast. I thanked them and told them it will be awesome to get autopilot back for my morning traffic commute. The tech was surprised and said I don't have autopilot paid for on the car. I showed them my spec sheet and showed them I had pre-paid for EA and FSD prior to delivery. They made another case, said it will correct over the air.

For those that this has happened to, approximately how long did it take them to correct your car's configuration.