Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question regarding max amperage capability of the "old" HPWC.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've read a lot of posts on how much people have paid to have their hpwc installed and how much they had a 50amp installed for regular 240 charging. I know we've purchased expensive cars but that doesn't mean we should get ripped off by an electrician. The install for a reg 50 amp should cost around $300. If the run isn't long it's a matter of balancing the loads and running a conduit. I was lucky my panel is in the garage, my friend had to go through a wall and run roughly 15 feet and it only cost him $300 by an insured electrician it was an hour and a half job, he had to pay 30 min travel as well. I highly recommend against telling any electrician you have a tesla and are planning on installing a charger for it, that automatically hikes the price. When installers hear tesla they see $$$.
You should hire an insured electrician on an hourly basis and you will be surprised on how little the install for hpwc or just a regular nema plug costs.
You also want to ensure that the install is appropriate for charging. I wouldn't recommend that, as the wiring and such needs to be sufficient for a continuous load for EV charging.

I paid about $8500 to install HPWC in the garage. It required doubling the power capacity to the house (from the pole) upping it from 100A to 200A service. So... directional drilling trenching, power line cost, new meter, new main panel, 100A branch run from there to moved old panel to garage as subpanel, hang the HPWC there... Just so I could feed the dual onboard chargers the full 80A they can take.

$8500 is the life time cost of gas for an economy car.

Anyone top that !? :eek: