Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions before buying

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

This community is great. I found a lot of information that was very useful and helped me chose Tesla X as my next car.
I still have a couple of questions before buying:
  • What's the best way to finance? I saw 0.99APR flying around but seems like it's not relevant anymore. Is Tesla's financing services any good?
  • While looking online on ways to reduce cost/ get 90D I found this thread - which lead me to think whether buying used Tesla X is a good option? And if yes - what should I check before buying?
  • Unlimited charging - is it still available? How to check if a car has it? Is it transferable?
  • Referral discount - does it still exist? Anything replaced it?
  • In case I'm buying used - did the packaged change since 2017? What's different?
Thanks!

Regarding Free super charge for life and Referral codes, you can use my referral code if you order before the end of the month:
Unlimited Tesla Supercharging and Extended Solar Warranty

If you go with a CPO free supercharge stays with the vehicle and you wont need to use a referral code.

About financing, if you have enough for a down payment (I think it was 10%), plus state taxes and county taxes (if any on yours), I should try the Tesla financing, if you do not try another financial institution as they will cover the full amount.

Hey everyone,

This community is great. I found a lot of information that was very useful and helped me chose Tesla X as my next car.
I still have a couple of questions before buying:
  • What's the best way to finance? I saw 0.99APR flying around but seems like it's not relevant anymore. Is Tesla's financing services any good? It won't be that low anymore, but they give the best deal from their partner banks. Probably you can get a credit union to match or beat the rate offered.
  • While looking online on ways to reduce cost/ get 90D I found this thread - which lead me to think whether buying used Tesla X is a good option? And if yes - what should I check before buying? New Inventory has dried up past few weeks, typically they discount by a dollar each mile on the odometer so you save a few bucks.
  • Unlimited charging - is it still available? How to check if a car has it? Is it transferable? Unlimited supercharging available on new vehicles through a referral code until 1/31/18, PM me if you need one. This doesn't seem to be transferable.
  • Referral discount - does it still exist? Anything replaced it? No referral discounts anymore
  • In case I'm buying used - did the packaged change since 2017? What's different? Lots of changes, even in 2017 there were a few options that were changed such as air suspension becoming standard later in the year as well as Autopilot Hardware 2.5, make sure to get a detailed list of options included.
Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Does anyone knows wha't after Jan 31st?
Unlimited charging - used to be transferable but not anymore?
Referral - got tons of PMs - thanks everyone. Can someone tell me what the referrer get?
Looks like CPO doesn't have any offerings - makes sense?
In case I'm buying used - is there a guide somewhere for what do I need to check before buying?

I would argue used is not a good deal unless you get it for wholesale price. Remember you can get up to 10K off from the price of a new car, the finance rate is also 1.99% from Tesla (they just refer you to banks). The older cars were also less reliable and were more expensive, I don't know how it makes sense unless it starts with 6 or 7s for the more loaded cars.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Does anyone knows wha't after Jan 31st?
Unlimited charging - used to be transferable but not anymore?
Referral - got tons of PMs - thanks everyone. Can someone tell me what the referrer get?
Looks like CPO doesn't have any offerings - makes sense?
In case I'm buying used - is there a guide somewhere for what do I need to check before buying?

No one knows whats going to happen after Jan 31st but I've heard some rumors that instead of lifetime supercharging it might be only "1 year of unlimited supercharging"

Referrals get the following which you'll be eligible after placing your order: Referral Program

CPO inventory is currently low, buying independently requires more DD but there are deals to be had.

I would argue used is not a good deal unless you get it for wholesale price. Remember you can get up to 10K off from the price of a new car, the finance rate is also 1.99% from Tesla (they just refer you to banks). The older cars were also less reliable and were more expensive, I don't know how it makes sense unless it starts with 6 or 7s for the more loaded cars.

Tesla financing is currently at 2.49%. Not sure where you are seeing 1.99%.

I just ordered mine a few days ago. With respect to financing - I went with Tesla's process. They punt the application to a bunch of banks and one/two usually take the loan. I also shopped everywhere I could, mostly around credit unions. As a faculty at a university I thought I'd get the best rate - and indeed - if you're financing a $50k car for 36 months they offer 1.49%...for higher amounts and longer durations, the published and offered rates are around 2.49%. They only publish the 1.49% teasers to get you to apply but what rate you get is based on a). your FICO score and past credit history of large loans b). current rates which are not something banks can typically go below. That's why it's always better to buy expensive stuff in bad economy - lower rates. The financing terms are exactly as described here: 10% down plus state sales tax (around 10% here in SoCal) - so about $20k on hand all in.

Good luck!

I was told you can't cancel and re-order under a different program; I'm not sure what would happen if you actually tried (based on experience, you might need to change your postal code or name as well as your phone and eMail). For $500, it wasn't worth the hassle for me (although a little annoying, I'll admit).

The 100D batteries (Model X at least) have a 1.49% rate for deliveries through end-of-quarter. I haven't applied yet since my delivery is expected to be outside of the 30day period, and I haven't been able to get straight criteria (although the seemingly random numbers I've been given equate to a "good" or the top-half of what Experian calls an "acceptable" FICO score, in the low 700s). The sales rep/owner manager described the promo essentially as Tesla paying points on the loan for you to reduce below the bank's default APR.

The Tesla builder, and the initial rep indicated that one of their banks (JPMorgan/Chase IIRC) would do 0-down, which at 1.49% I'd jump on if I can get it (hey, cheap money); I'd be curious to hear anybody's experiences with that though (what's the chances I'll actually get accepted with 0-down? Well, I guess $2500 down unless I can directly apply that to ridiculously priced window screens.)

Tesla financing is currently at 2.49%. Not sure where you are seeing 1.99%.

I see 1.49 to 1.99% on S and X

Welp good thing you waited. I’m kicking myself for missing out on the $500 that comes with the free supercharging now... Conveniently the cost of all of the floor mats I want...

Did't they have $1000 off before 1-31? Now they have $500 credit instead?