Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions For Uk Model 3 Owners (delivery Complete)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure about latest AP in Model-3, but it seems to depend on speed. At 70 mr car does not change speed for speed limits (dashboard shows the limit change, I can press button to change to that speed), but it does change on TACC for 30 / 40 etc. e.g. if I come into a 40 from a 60. The reason that I am a bit vague is that I don't drive on TACC in the local A-roads / villages, so I'm not sure exactly what circumstances causes it to change - my assumption was that 70 MPH dual carriageway it ignores speed limits, whereas at/below national speed limit it changes for them. Certainly on my local "demo for mates" run car changes speed as I go into the 40, and back up again as I come out of it.

AP2 doesn't read speed limits, so will only tell you about fixed ones from its GPS database, which is sometime wrong by 100M or more

Do other cars in this price bracket have this then? (IDK)

My '68 e class only has normal cruise control so doesn't change the speed but it does read the speed limit signs and displays them in the digital instrument cluster. I will also say that it can miss some, or read info from a slip road etc so it's far from perfect!

Pretty sure VAG group cars do on their adaptive cruise

Found this:

Adaptive Cruise Control | Volkswagen UK

"Speed Assist - using both the front camera and route information identifies changes in the posted speed limit and automatically adjusts the vehicles speed."

Dunno what models have it, didn't seem easy to find that out. I only looked on the Golf Gt but couldn't find any mention of it ...

it does read the speed limit signs and displays them in the digital instrument cluster. I will also say that it can miss some, or read info from a slip road etc so it's far from perfect!

My AP1 speed sign reading is excellent. I've never known it pick one up from a slip road (maybe it uses combination with GPS as well perhaps ?) ... and it picks up the moment I pass a village speed limit sign (but not 100M before providing time to actually slow down ... but it may have seen it back then, it just doesn't do anything until AT the sign) and temporary roadwork signs etc. But it misses gantry signs which just have a number and don't look like speed limit signs, and it slows down (potentially dangerously for following traffic) on the A1 North of Peterborough where there is a big 50 MPH sign with a yellow rectangle sign below saying "In 1/2 a mile" :(

Found this:

Adaptive Cruise Control | Volkswagen UK

"Speed Assist - using both the front camera and route information identifies changes in the posted speed limit and automatically adjusts the vehicles speed."

Dunno what models have it, didn't seem easy to find that out. I only looked on the Golf Gt but couldn't find any mention of it ...
Agreed it is not that clear but I think it is an option on most models.

Agreed it is not that clear but I think it is an option on most models.

I’ve certainly got it in my A6. It will read gantry signs, so is very useful for automatically adjusting the speed on smart motorways and for slowing to 50mph in roadworks and maintaining the speed. Especially useful where they have average speed cameras on endless miles of roadworks - I’m sure it’s saved me many a speeding ticket.

Agreed it is not that clear

I was expecting them to be shouting it from the rooftops! Tesla (post MobileEye) is struggling to do sign-recognition (or has other priorities ... if so "Why?") so if other Marques have this already I'm surprised they aren't shouting about it.

I think AP dramatically reduces driver workload, and I arrive far more refreshed on long trips than "before". But AP (on motorways at least) is basically just TACC plus Stay-in-Lane.

The TACC I had in last-ICE-before-Tesla :) was a Golf and it was dreadful - haired up behind car in front and then jumped on the brakes. probably improved since then, and no stay-in-lane back then, so I don't know, and have not compared, if TACC+Stay-in-lane has same long journey benefit as AP

Do other cars in this price bracket have this then? (IDK)
The Kona electric does read speed signs, as the display changes at temporary limits, and the car has no data connection, so it can’t be getting the info anywhere else. However, even though it reads the signs, it doesn’t adjust the TACC speed accordingly.

The Kona uses a Mobileye system, like Tesla AP1, so I imagine the technology is similar to that.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I was wondering a similar thing, will a standard iPad fit in the glovebox?

I'd say so.

It can fit A4 paper with only slight bending at the back:

Glovebox1.JPG
Glovebox2.JPG

Attachments

• Glovebox2.JPG
    Glovebox2.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 31
I’m collecting my car next Saturday same spec as yours. Did you have any issues with paint finish etc?

No issues, or maybe I just can't see them.

Mine had an issue with the charge port sensor on delivery and the guy couldn't figure out how to fix it. Booked a service though the app and some panel gap issues (minor).

Though I rebooted the car when I came home and the charge port issue went away. So no need for the service appointment.

The door jam paint does look a bit thin in one place, but cant really see it on white.

I’m collecting my car next Saturday same spec as yours. Did you have any issues with paint finish etc?

While other new owners raced off in excitement I went over the car (black) very carefully. I pointed out some small scratches on the rear corner and a tiny fingernail size dent on the passenger door where the moulded crease is.
Booked in Milton Keynes this week to get it sorted. I expect I’ll get a loaner car as they said it was a paint fix for the scratches?

So do check the vehicle very carefully and don’t feel pushed to leave early. Ultimately you can tell the hand-over guys you’re going to park out front and check it more.

Reactions: Roy W.